Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOOO

I KEEP pondering... (since ive done some engine swaps that required things like cutting driveshafts)...

Imagine a 450hp LT1/4 or LS in a 3s.... :conf2:

Like so...

Normally need a vette engine as it should fit the easiest.

now before you... :rolleyes2

I know this is basically a INSANE idea.

I keep pondering what it takes to get a 450-500 hp reliable 3s.

Its not easy and its not cheap at ALL. Looks like some are paying
15 to 20k to get there.

My idea would be to take a TT 3s

1. practically gut the 3s, front engine mounts etc etc.
2. loose the front axles... yeah its now rwd(spin city).
3. place a rwd diff back there... (from a vette etc)
4. cut the firewall and reweld.
5. cut the shaft channel and reweld if necessary
6. cut and place the engine mounts
7. reroute the steering!!!!! this is the worst thing for me to figure out... And in the process I would loose aws...

8. Load up all the electronics and exhaust (custom of course) and go...

I can get a build ls-1 camaro engine for around 3k.(450hp). Throw a vette oilpan on it... Looking at another 3k in misc parts(sensor, comp, wiring). Another 1500 in exhaust. 1000 for shaft prob(lightweight aluminum with cut).

And another 3k in work and fab(assuming you do alot yourself).

This is probably a 2 year project part time.

So im estimating around 10k to do this swap which aint bad.

Now I know I loose the 4wd and the steering reroute would be insane... but other than that this stuff has been done before.

I keep thinking if this guy can do it... why cant i? :)

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/hagen.html

·
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ive already priced the engines, thats a 440hp ls1 for 2800 + 450 for programming.

Plus don't get me wrong, im not saying it cant be done with the normal setup.

Im wanting to keep this car for a LONG time... And maybe even daily drive it all the time. Im pretty sure these 500+hp 3's beasts arent daily drivers.

Don't get me wrong also I known a 440hp ls1 isnt much of a daily driver also.

·
Cops Love Me
1,395 Posts
I say go for it! As long as you have the cash to back it up. I'm a big can of LS1 (the engine & tranny) Just not the cars themselves, unless its a vette! :D

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

(Possibly go with AWD if you can get parts from the HSV?)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Just import a GranPrix GTX from Austrailia. I beleive its a 350hp LS-1 powered,AWD version of the basic US edition GranPrix. It looks very nice IMO, it has some kinda hood vents resembling the ones found on RamAir T/A's, and could easily be modded up to 500HP. It wouldn't be a 3000GT but its still nice. I wouldnt consider it a grocery getter, but they do come in a 4dr version :rolleyes:
As far as cramming an LS1 in there, it would be freaking awsome to see that done. Personally I'd stick it in somthing like an old 280Z and create the ultimate sleeper or just mod up the VR-4. It is possible to get reliable 450-500hp from

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Matt's silver car a daily driver?

Also Trevor's 96 is a daily. It runs like mid 11s at the highest right?

But I say go for it. It would be interesting to see.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
I really don't think that 450 to 500 HP is that difficult with these cars. Nor is reliablity at that level such a big deal either.

Intake, downpipe, gut the rear pre-cat, free flow exaust. Slightly larger turbos and a little more boost and there you are on pump gas. :D

Getting higher is where it takes alot more work. I could be wrong about that but I'm in the middle of just such a project, I'll post my results.

This Saturday I'm putting in my version of a custom downpipe back system. Single 3" glass pack and custom Y pipe to dual twin non-resonated tips. I'll get lots of pictures and post a few like I did with the NA awhile back.

Besides, the only bowtie I want to see is in the mirror and fading fast. ;)

·
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I would be plenty happy with around 400hp.

I already have 13b's so I guess I just need some 550's and a fuel pump? Bov, boost controller, other misc stuff? Since Im replaceing the short block ill try upgrading to a 4 bolt. 18 spline looks like new but that sucks... Ill need to try to replace that eventually. Hope my intercoolers are okay, they look okay...

But I want this thing to be still running at 180k... I seriously doubt I would try this hairbrained idea, i would very much hate to reroute the steering...

Man I did see a s10 blazer in the 9's with a chevy sb in it... man

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
you wouldn't need a TT anything for that. you just need a shell with 4 wheels. save the 3000Gt/Stealth for those who would actually apperciate the 6G72 and capable of getting reliable horsepower out of it.

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
400 crank HP in a 3S is pretty simple and reliability isn't a concern. Al had 323HP @ wheels with 450cc injectors, a boost controller, AFC, K&N and I think that's it..i don't even think he had gutted cats or an exhaust or anything (but I'm not positive).
323 at the wheels is roughly 400 at the crank. 500 shouldn't be that much more difficult..550cc injectors, 13g's or 15g's, downpipes, exhaust..
an AEM wouldn't hurt either :)

however, if you go for the swap, more power to ya..just don't cry when the torque twists the car in half :D ;)
I would definately like to see what a RWD 3S would be like..I personally only know of one RWD 3000 and the guy used a Porsche tranny to do it.
good luck!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
just get a camaro.

or do the same things they did to drag pro, but take less than 20 years to finish it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.