Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sickau29
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe i have narrowed my vac leak down to the Y-pipe gasket that connects to the throttle body. The picture shows that it is clearly worn and needs replaced. I have heard that the only way to correctly fix this is to purchase a new Y-pipe. Is this true or is there someway to find a new gasket and replace the worn one?

Attachments

·
Verified Seller
1,583 Posts
My original y-pipe was wrapped in duck tape and half the throttle was blocked by duck tape by the previous owner.

I just bought a chrome y-pipe on ebay and it's been working great! I haven't had a problem with it yet. The chrome y-pipe make my engine bay look sharp now.

·
Sickau29
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow i dont see duct tape working out to well lol. What did you pay for an ebay one and whats the brand name?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Verified Seller
1,583 Posts
Wow i dont see duct tape working out to well lol. What did you pay for an ebay one and whats the brand name?

I paid $37.00 total. It was $27 +10 shipping. It was the lowest priced y-pipe.

I was surprised most ebay seller will give you the 3in to 3in silicon coupler which is the wrong one for our cars.

You need the 3in to 2.75 coupler. The seller I bought it from does supply you with the right coupler the 3in to 2.75in coupler.

I'll give you the link but the price went up $1 but it will still be the cheapest priced y-pipe.

·
Sickau29
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got mine in the mail the other day from cxracing, it looks good so far but I'm in the process of installing and it seems to be a little wide. The arch of it seems to be right on the battery. Anyone else have trouble with fitment of aftermarket ypipes? I'm gonna see if i can get her squeezed in there for now.

·
the 3S whisperer
3,333 Posts
silicone rescue tape $5.00, wrap it on the tb and the y pipe will fit. or buy a silicone reducer for 10.00 and use 2 hose clamps, done. or buy one from someone that upgraded.

·
Sickau29
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The silicone coupler is no problem, what im having trouble with is with the ypipe attached, it sticks out to far barely fits past the battery and the end of the pipe actually goes over top of the MAF making it real close to the hood when it closes. It just fits real awkwardly in there. Did i get a bad one or is this normal?

·
Verified Seller
1,583 Posts
The silicone coupler is no problem, what im having trouble with is with the ypipe attached, it sticks out to far barely fits past the battery and the end of the pipe actually goes over top of the MAF making it real close to the hood when it closes. It just fits real awkwardly in there. Did i get a bad one or is this normal?
Compared to the stock y-pipe the neck on the after market one is longer, you can try getting the y-pipe closer to the opening of the throttle body.

It is pretty close to the battery but I think my battery might be a bit too big for the car but it work.

You can also turn the y-pipe up or down at a good angle but it clears my hood and doesn't bang the top.

Here is few pics of mine installed. It's a kinda tight fit but it works :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I got mine off ebay from "chrome intakes" for $25 shipped and it also came with a plastic 3" maf adapter and air filter included. Mine too originally came with a 3" to 3" coupler but if you keep tightening down on the clamp it will work...lol.

It didn't fit 100% exactly like stock, but I didn't have any problems with it fitting either. You just fit the end of the Y-pipe into the coupler half way and the other half over the throttle body. You fit it so that the y-pipe is almost touching the throttle body inside the coupler, angle it just right, and then tighten everything down.

I've since cut mine in half and removed a little from the middle and ends to make it work like a Dejon with my GM maf blow-thru setup. See below.

·
the 3S whisperer
3,333 Posts
Compared to the stock y-pipe the neck on the after market one is longer, you can try getting the y-pipe closer to the opening of the throttle body.

It is pretty close to the battery but I think my battery might be a bit too big for the car but it work.

You can also turn the y-pipe up or down at a good angle but it clears my hood and doesn't bang the top.

Here is few pics of mine installed. It's a kinda tight fit but it works :)
thats why i said reducer instead of coupler. the 3sx one tapers down for a tighter fit at the tb. set up looks like a tight fit but i would secure your battery with a hold down and, put a cover over your pos term.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I threw one of these in my VR4 and it worked perfectly!

Smaller gasket and clamp 20190628_154450.jpg

Seems to be indestructible. Certainly reusable many times over.
This one includes a good T-Bar clamp for under $30 but a gasket alone is available for under $25.
I’ve not had to mess with it at all or had a single blow off in over a year of running this gasket.

Read up! Help is here, search eBay under…
Y Pipe Rubber Gasket and Clamp for Throttle Body Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Stealth

Someone else who bought one and posted here on 3si.
https://www.3si.org/threads/y-pipe-gasket-solution.816175/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts