Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put xenon headlights in my 94 Stealth the other day. Now, whenever I turn on my headlights, I hear a strange noise. Could it be the xenon lights? Has anyone else had this problem? (Is it really a problem?)

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
You talking about HID or xenon bulb???? I don't think they will make any noise:confused:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm talking about xenon 9006 bulbs to replace my stock 9006 low-beam bulbs.

It's strange -- when I turn the lights on, it sounds like a different noise is coming from one of the belts (possibly alternator?). I don't think the noise is actually coming from the light. Then, when I turn the lights off, the noise goes away. Probably the same thing you're hearing elektro.

I'm wondering if the xenon bulbs are making my alternator work too hard or something.....

Lemme know if you have any insights. Thanks.

·
Demoted user
595 Posts
Maybe the noise is coming from your stereo. Make sure everything is grounded correctly.

Does the noise change if you rev the engine?

-Stefan

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I know what this noise it, I have it too. It happens when I turn on something that draws a good amount of power. It comes from the drivers side of the engine bay and almost sounds like a screaching, not a squealing from wet belts, but something else. I also use Nokya Purple 90 watt 9006 headlight bulbs. It only happens when I turn them on. The noise does go away when I am over 1500RPM. Is this what's happening to you as well? When I am at an idle (750RPM +/- 50) I will drop slightly below 12 volts and the noise will start. I think it's coming from the alternator, it's possibly just being stressed a little bit at low voltage with the constant draw from the headlights. When I turn my headlights off the noise doesn't completely go away, but its significantly lower. Lemme know if your getting the same thing!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
CyZooNiC said:
Maybe the noise is coming from your stereo. Make sure everything is grounded correctly.

-Stefan
Good idea, but it's def not stereo noise, I've heard that before. I opened my hood just now and it's kinda hard to exactly locate the noise, but I'm 99% sure it's the alternator. My alternator is original, 1992 with 96k on it.

·
1 of 1
3,476 Posts
how r the purple nokyas? i bought these 20 dollars purple xenon lights for the m3 and it came out pink lol i was like doh!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
CyZooNiC said:

-Stefan
Good idea, but it's def not stereo noise, I've heard that before. I opened my hood just now and it's kinda hard to exactly locate the noise, but I'm 99% sure it's the alternator. My alternator is original, 1992 with 96k on it.

·
VR-4 eats my money!
1,989 Posts
electrobeatz.......

How are the HIDs. I'm thinking about getting some but don't know how they acutally look. Are they are bright and bluish and those you would see on a Lexus Or Mercedes or they give off a purple-blue hue at certain angles like The S2000 or Audi?

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Az1aN3000GT said:
how r the purple nokyas? i bought these 20 dollars purple xenon lights for the m3 and it came out pink lol i was like doh!

I just got purple Xenon Bulbs..at first they looked pink...but the more i look at it, they look aight..they have a sparkly nice purple tint...

i notice people staring more...even the cops:eek:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: electrobeatz.......

I got 6000K's but they are bright white in my projectors, none of that purplish-bluish color from any angle that I've noticed so I'm replacing them with 7000K bulbs instead, I'll post pics when I get them, but here is a thread with pics of my current 6000K setup...... :D

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=100915

2Fast4U3000GT said:
How are the HIDs. I'm thinking about getting some but don't know how they acutally look. Are they are bright and bluish and those you would see on a Lexus Or Mercedes or they give off a purple-blue hue at certain angles like The S2000 or Audi?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The best purple bulbs I've ever had are Nokya Arctic Purple, they are perfect. I got them on every car in my house and even my GF.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.