Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just started doing it this morning. I cranked her up, and I got this weird sort of buzzing sound coming from either under the front timing belt cover or that side of the front valve cover. It wasn't a metallic sound at all. It was like ... hmm ... like the sound of a playing card in bicycle spokes. I know what my lifter tick sounds like, so I don't think it was that. (and it was a lot louder than the lifter tick) Once it had idled for a minute the sound went away completely.

Any ideas on what this might be? It was totally sudden. Do I have a camshaft bearing going out or something?

·
255 Posts
Be careful. I don't want to worry you, but it might be the edge of a frayed timing belt hitting the cover every revolution, or a piece of the timing belt cover gasket hitting the timing belt. The only reason I mention this is that a few people (myself included) have had belts fail prematurely due to cover / gasket interference. It might also be your alt / pwr steering / ac belt fraying and hitting the outside of your timimg belt cover (a MUCH better situation). Anyway the only thing that you can do is to get in there with a flashlight, and figure it out. Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine did that ....come to find out it was the timing belt auto tensioner...not the tensioner pulley. Auto tensioner=$114. I pulled off the timing belt cover on the front bank and the timing belt was hopping around in there like crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.