Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i took of my IC pipes to polish them, and took my coils off to paint them yellow. when i was done i re-installed everything, and ever since then, my car has smoke coming from under the hood, it appears to be coming from the front turbo, or somewhere under that heat shield. and the smoke smells bad too, but i dont know exactly what it smells like.

for the IC pipes, i had my friend sandblast them at work, then i polished it up after that. there was a ton of stuff inside the pipes from the sandblasting but i made sure to clean it out really good. and i'm almost positive the coils are on correctly. so i dont know what is sausing this, but it happened the first time after i put the IC pipes & coils back on.

i had the car idleing in my driveway last night, and when i turned the headlights off it stalled at that exact moment, and it had been running for about 5 minutes. i started it up again, and it was at normal operating temp, but the oil pressure gauge seemed low. nothing should be wrong with my oil, since it has about 250 miles on the oil(i am doing the ATF & regular oil trick, for quieting the lifters, and this is my 2nd cycle of 500 miles). the oil isnt leaking or anything like that.

so what the hell is going on????

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Give it Nicoderm.

:p

:D

Sorry. couldn't resist.

Hmm.... are you absolutely SURE you don't have a leak? Perhaps there is a small one somewhere? The lower than before oil pressure indicates to me something is up. There is only one IC pipe, the one coming from the IC, going to the Ypipe for the rear turbo that I can remember, that crosses in front of the engine, near (or over really) where the front turbo is.

A long shot, but I'm thinking you maybe bumped the oil feed line or return line to the turbo, cracked it 'slightly' and now oil drips onto the heat shield, and that is what is smoking?

Does this smoke start right away, or does it take a while? If it takes a while, it might be because said heat shield isn't hot enough yet.

I'd say, take your hoses off CAREFULLY, and look around for oil leaks.

(I doubt the coil packs really had anything to do with it.)

Plus, how bad does 'bad' smell? Like burnt rubber? Burnt oil? etc?

Fill us in on more details.

Elton

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that could be it, i dont think i cracked any oil lines but it is a possibility, and that makes sense. it takes the car about 30 sec to 1 minute to start smoking, and i really cant describe the smell.

i can see that a small crack would lower oil pressure, but will it realy make the car stall? i will be checking those oil lines as soon as i get the chance.

if anyone else has any suggestions i'm listening....

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
The stall seems to be a different issue.

Possibly electrical. No, Oil pressure should have no effect on the idling of your car.

Perhaps there is a slight leak in the IC pipes after your reinstall? Hard pipes have to be mounted carefully; any intake leak will cause wierd idle problems, since the ECU will base injector timing and pulse on the MAS reading, if the intake leaks, then the air volume will be different than what the ECU calculates for.

Check around, make sure all the hose clamps are tight.

Good luck. :)

Elton

·
Registered
180 Posts
I too have the smoking problem.. Mine started when my car started to over heat due to the radiator fans not working. The smoke is coming from the rear turbo area. Not very much though. It could be a valve cover leak, but I have yet to have a good look at it.

mitsu3kgt311--> the smell that I'm smelling as best as I can describe it, would be a combination of clutch, electrical, maybe a hit or rubber, a different smell to say the least. Maybe my clutch needs replacing, my 20amp Fan Relay Fuse Mod is causing something to burn, and well the rubber I'll blame that on the tires.:D

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
teck said:
I too have the smoking problem.. Mine started when my car started to over heat due to the radiator fans not working. The smoke is coming from the rear turbo area. Not very much though. It could be a valve cover leak, but I have yet to have a good look at it.

mitsu3kgt311--> the smell that I'm smelling as best as I can describe it, would be a combination of clutch, electrical, maybe a hit or rubber, a different smell to say the least. Maybe my clutch needs replacing, my 20amp Fan Relay Fuse Mod is causing something to burn, and well the rubber I'll blame that on the tires.:D

I have the same smell/smoke coming from what looks liek the rear turbo area. When sitting at a light or something when I have the climate control on with outside air coming in, the smell comes right into the cabin... pisses me off. I have no idea whats burning...

·
Registered
180 Posts
dyasol

yeah me too... I'm going to spend this weekend working on my car so if I'm able to diagnosis I'll let you know.

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven' even touched the car in a few months, it's been hibernating in the garage for the winter. The last time i drove it, the car started smoking and when i popped the hood, there was oil splashed on the spark plug cover and on the front turbo heat shield. so i know it is an oil leak. but the other day i popped the hood and looked around to try and find the leak. well, i saw something that may have been the problem but i don't know if it will actually cause oil to leak.

my question is, if the oil dipstick is not all the way in the thing that holds it(hanging out about an inch from the top), after driving the car around, is it possible that oil can just shoot up outta there? cuz it is in the area where the oil was splashed on the engine. i ran the car for a while but i didnt see any place where oil was leaking once i put the dipstick back in place.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Yes, if your dipstick is popped out then you are losing oil that way as well. Squeeze the top of the dipstick tube w/ some pliers to give it some grip and it won't happen again.

Did you remove the battery when you were taking out the IC pipes and coils? If so, that'd explain the stalling problem at idle which should have corrected itself later.

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, i did remove the batt, and thanks for confirming my "dip-stick" theory. hopefully that will solve the leaking oil problem. the car only stalled that one time, so i am not worried about that.

thanks John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts