Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a take off from the (Spoiler; What is it?) thread.
I would like to thank the other guys for helping me so far this is seriously fucked up.

Anyways my VIN# is JA3XD54B3NY054461

If anyone can look up WA and OR laws on this type of crime I would appreciate it, if this guy switched my tags Im going to press charges. Im pretty sure WA and OR have some good lemon laws.

My car has no ECS, ABS, DCC, PS, or anything else a SL has for that matter.

And yes I have been pretty ignorant not to notice this untill now and Im not mad about not having these items, I bought the car for what it was. But I am mad that the #'s have been switched, this car could have been totaled or stolen for all I know now.

Please Help

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
look for vin # in other places like next to your driver side door, there should be a sticker there also.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
You have a base model!

As I said in my post on your other thread.. If you have no leather, no power driver seat, no ECS, no climate control and no ABS you have a base model. Those are all the upgrades the 1st gen SL had over the base. Also, Carfax can be wrong.. The Carfax report on my Trans Am says its a Formula when it is definatly a T/A

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
hollywood said:
My title and reistration say SL :confused:

Probably because your VIN says it's an SL. I don't know, I know the Carfax report on my T/A is wrong, but my title and registration say it's a T/A. Do all of the VIN's on your car match? There's one on the drivers side door frame and another in your engine bay (I think) and possibly one more. Definatly odd...

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Door, Engine bay, and Dash (under the windshield).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dude,

What is DCC?
You also say ,that you don't have PS ,I assume that is power steering.Well if that is the case,i would definately look,into some foul play,in this matter.I never knew that any of our cars came without power steering,and it does seem quite fishy.

On the other toys,I would assume,that they were available as a option ,at the time of the purchase,but i guess the original owner did't care for those things.
I own a 92 ES Stealth model,which has ECS ,and yet a few members here said,that they don't have that option.Also ,all the ES models I have seen around here in Toronto,have leather interior,yet mine doesn't.
Funny stuff.

Good luck,
Milan
92 ES

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
If you have a first Gen, and you don't have auto Climate control, you totally have a base.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Where to find the VIN

Hell today when I was washing the car I saw the VIN all over hell. It is even punched into the firewall just to the right of the battery. Under the desklid, on the door sills, on every body panel - if you look - you will see vin stickers.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
This is getting very interesting.......Dammit Hollywood find out what is going on Im really curious how this came about. An SL with a makeshift spoiler, no leather, no ECS, no ABS and I hope you were kidding about no PS because they all have power steering from what I recall. Whatever it turns out as......you only paid 6k for it so don't feel too bad and it has a fat nitrous system to it. But tell us what u found out.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
The more I think about it...

If your car has NONE of the options/features that are associated with an SL, then it has to be a base. I think the only 'option' that could be added to the 1st gen SL is a sunroof and possibly a CD changer. Other than that, all of the features your car is missing is what makes the SL an SL...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Engine looks from your Sig

That engine looks like the SOHC plenum - but the DOHC valve covers - was the Base ever a DOHC car? If not then by default if it is a DOHC it is an SL - right?

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Re: Engine looks from your Sig

Record9ti said:
That engine looks like the SOHC plenum - but the DOHC valve covers - was the Base ever a DOHC car? If not then by default if it is a DOHC it is an SL - right?
I just replied to this in the other thread.. lol :D

Long story short..

All base 3000GT's were DOHC until 1997.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
See how dumb I am

I posted on the other thread - was looking at this one not realizing that it was another thread - and did not see my post, and reposted....I am not so bright:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hey Hollywood. I don't know if you read the thread that 94RT/TT-MIKE started about the VIN Database.

I see you know that Mitsu reported selling 6015 SL's in 1991. I've previously reported that the CAPs database showed 5870 produced, which is impossible (more sold than produced). I've since figured out why the discrepancy; 204 1991 SL's were produced using 3000GT base format VINs. So I now feel that 6074 1991 SL's were built for the US and 6015 sold. The remaining 59 were either test cars or possibly internal Mitsubishi sales.
http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22367&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

Maybe you got one of the 204 bases that were turned into SLs.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. :( I just realized you have a '92 not a '91. But maybe the same thing might have happened in '92.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
ok help me here.....we got a 95 stealth R/T? it has no ABS, no power windows, cloth interior, no power locks, manual A/C, DOHC, no power seats, no power antenna, and just a tape deck. is this like a lower level R/T or something?

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I said I have no DCC (Digital Climate Control) PS (Power Seats). I do have power steering.

Also I went out to search my car and all the vins match dash, door, and Ill look for the one in the engine bay tomorrow. I had one concearn with the VIN#'s, the one one the door has a peeled corner that looks suspicious. And there's another tag above it like a safety seal (silver metal strip in the middle, red lettering on the outside) and you can see the faded VIN in the middle of it on the silver strip. Is this a quality seal that if removed the VIN fades?

And I went out to a couple of dealerships just now and looked at other models. Then I remembered mine used to have the SL sticker on the bumper. On the left hand side, but the (S) was missing the top so I peeled the rest of it off.
I remember it tore off really easy, all I used was my finger tips. Are all of the rest of you SL owners able to do this? My 3000GT badging on the right side is still on and it seems really secure.

Oh yeah I did find a 1997 base w/ leather 20,999 and it didnt look that good.

Im taking the car to my local Mitsu dealer as soon as they open tomorrow to run the VIN and find the hidden ones on the motor that shouldnt be fucked with.

If the dealer in Tri cities sold me a fucked up car Ill through his ass in jail, then sue his wife for the dealership!

Some of you are probably wondering why I didnt notice this sooner. I blew the motor on the car a month and a half after buying it (spun berring) and it sat in a storage unit for a year while I was slowly getting the motor built. Ive always given more attention to the performance of the car then the comfort.

Just when I thought I was getting to know these cars, I dont even know mine yet. Thanks for pointing it out guys!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why are there two threads about the same thing? Is one a base thread or are they both base threads or is one a SL thread? Some are responding to one thread thinking it's the other thread and some think the second thread is the first thread and some are just reponding the same thing to both threads. I'm so confused. :(

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Czarcasmus said:
Why are there two threads about the same thing? Is one a base thread or are they both base threads or is one a SL thread? Some are responding to one thread thinking it's the other thread and some think the second thread is the first thread and some are just reponding the same thing to both threads. I'm so confused. :(
Ones a thread about what kind of a spoiler I have.
It started a thread on what kind of car I have.

WTF? spoiler
WTF? car

Im trying to seperate them but Im I am too
:confused:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
"That engine looks like the SOHC plenum - but the DOHC valve covers - was the Base ever a DOHC car? If not then by default if it is a DOHC it is an SL - right?"

It's a DOHC. THe base didn't go to a SOHC until 97.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts