Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kinda ugly don't you think?

·
Native
3,894 Posts
If you have enough money, anything's legal on the streets.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I think i looks cool...

But WIlmington California?? That isn't the kind of place for a $300k car!

·
Registered
606 Posts
i believe vector was an american company without ties to any foreign automotive companies, although i could be wrong. i thought the winegart was supposed to be the AMERICAN supercar to compete with the likes of lambo's, ferraris, bugattis etc.

·
Drunken Barmaids
247 Posts
The Vector was made in the US. If I remember correctly, Gerald Wiegert was a designer working for GM in Detroit. He got canned when he refused to stop taking his Porche to work. He later designed the Vector, but the pre-production cars had a lot of problems.

·
Registered
725 Posts
on GT2 it said vector was like an american branch of lamborghini

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Vector is a 100% American company and I don't know about presently...but at it's inception had NO TIES TO ANY FOREIGN CAR COMPANY! That is a seriously badass vehicle and the claims are accurate. Service for them is practically non-existant (the engines follow a "W" configuration...which is almost radial. I believe it was 3 cylinders to either side of the block and two straight up) so you would have to be rediculously wealthy to own one. As for the pictures, if you have that kind of money...you don't need actual pictures.....you jet there and look at it for yourself and drive it. Those who are familiar with this car know what they are bidding on. That is the second one ever built..........PERIOD. It is PRE-PRODUCTION which means it is a ONE-OFF hand built! That is a very reasonable starting bid price. The prodution cars tipped the scale at just over $300 grand. The performance met and exceeded that of Lambo, Ferrari, and even Bugatti in the time it was made....and cost about the same. This car easilly would have put the USA in world class exotic status...but due to predjudice of the 3 major automakers (namely GM) this company has been met with a lot of government resistance (sometime rent the movie TUCKER starring Jeff Bridges if you haven't seen it and see just what kind of forces work against you....yes it still goes on). This car is world class in every regard and YES IT IS STREET LEGAL. It was the fastest street legal production car built....that claim is true. If I were a millionaire...I'd have one.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Yeah, he's asking a bit too much there. New they sold for under 200K and they never lived up to their HP and performance claims. The later model, the W-12, or was it the S-12 were much nicer looking and better performers. Those actually did 0-60 in 3.0 secs.

Still, it's very rare to see one up for sale.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Yah, but the engine is a small block chevy with the best of all aftermarket parts attached and involved, so its no Lambo. There is nothing really fantastic about the engine except its all muscle and makes about 400 horse on engine alone. The boost is cockpit adjustable with equipment he borrowed from old fighter planes and aircraft. The automatic shifter is in the driver door. It has monitor screens and instrumentation like a fighter plane. Trouble is the car had tons of electrical and parts source problems that never let them get off the ground. Their prototype was outdated as soon as they had the bugs out of it. Also, who would buy an American Countach look-alike with a small block chevy with some elect. gizmos for about 1/4 mill? You might as well buy a kit car and build it yourself

Sam

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I met Gerry Wiegert & got a ride in a Vector, Even have an autographed copy of that exact poster.
That said you'd have to b high or stupid to pay that kind of $ for a Vector. U can get a Ferrari F40 for $220k that would kick its ass all day long. Vectors got reputations as fire traps & poor quality

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sorry Wrathchild, its was a twin turbo V8, based on the chevy 350, built by Rotec. I got to see the factory on a Ferrari Owners Club visiting day.
The Lambo tie in came later after GW had been fired. WX stands for Weigert Experimental BTW, not W powerplant.
Megatech bought Lambo from CHrysler after the Viper was released, & they bought out GW's shares then fired him. After GW was gone they took GW's 2nd Gen version & stuck a Diablo V12 in it. Sold VEry few & the CO went out of business around 95

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Wraith...that was NOT a small block Chevy engine..it is a unique W configuration....not a V. You guys are trying to price this car like it is a used automobile.....Kelly Blue book does not factor in here. You have to think like a wealthy person...this is not a car...it is a piece of one off art....that will likely be driven rarely if EVER (as evidenced by the less than 700miles a year it has accrued). Rich people buy things so that they can own a "one of a kind they don't make this stuff anymore and you couldn't dream of owning the one of x number ever made" period. Of course we are going to agree that is a rediculous price.....how many of us here on this board have a 7 figure annual income? Most here don't have a 6 figure income so it really doesn't matter if he asked 100K or 1 million...we can't afford it....on the other hand to a millionaire...neither of those figures mean much. It isn't about owning a fast car....it is about owning a hand made one off piece of art. C'mon guys, you have seen some pretty ugly ass paintings (which cost nothing more than the price of the paint and canvas...about $100 at most) and liven up a room about as much as my $20 lava lamp sell for millions right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wrathchild is right.

If you found a top secret 2000 VR4 for sale, money would not be a factor.

Money is like air. You don't think about it when there is plenty around.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Yea, but wealthy people don't get that way pissing away money on stupid things. That said, if I had that kind of money to put into an automotive "work of art", and if I wanted it to be a Vector, the second generation ones would be a much better choice. The ones with the Lambo powerplants.

Do a quick google search and you will see what I'm
talking about. They are absolutely stunning and do have the performance to match. :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts