Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into my car today after not driving it very often maybe once a week, its colder out also about 28 to 35 degrees. But I go to put the car in reverse. Which it is normally fussy about anyways, but for some reason it will not go. So I try to do my usual trick where I put it in first and go foward an inch and then go back to reverse. I notice the clutch pedal seems to have almost no presure whatsoever. It goes into first after an unusual ammount of grinding. Once in first without me even releasing the clutch it starts to creep foward and my front bumpers smacks the front of my garage. I quickly shut off the car and let out some swears. I then put it in neutral and pushed it out into the street I drove for a few blocks fine. Then I came up to a stop light as I approached I pushed the clutch in and pulled it out of third. Sitting at the light for a bit I push the clutch in and try to engage first to take off. Ahh first will not engage. Oh fuck the light is green I am in front of the line with many cars honking behind me. I jam it into reverse and then slam second with an evil grinding noise. I slowly creep off from second as I bust a U back to my house. What the Hell is going on with my damn car. I just had a new clutch and reground my flywheel within a year. I hope its something like Gear Lube.:p

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Maybe there is a leak and your fluids low? But I am by no means a "Trans Man"....wickeddrew should take this one.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
COuld be some bad cylinders, but to me it sounds more like a tranny issue than a clutch issue. If it wont go into gear, that usually means your syncros are taking a shit on you. WHat kind of clutch did you install roughly a year ago? And what are your driving habits like? Regardless, I still think it is tranny related not clutch related, and i seriously doubt its some as simple are gear oil or lube.

Ty
Speed Factor

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Centerforce Clutch stage 2 with reground flywheel. The problem came on really fast. I do not drive my car everyday and it sat for about 3 days before I noticed it. THe last time I drove it was home from Goodyear after they installed my springs on Monday. I wonder if they did something to it. They did let some punk kid test drive it after they installed the springs. I complained about it, but they said they had to test drive it first for safety reasons. I saw him get past Goodyear and then fly down the road. I was kind of pissed. Then that night I put the car in the garage where it sat for 3 days. Thursday when I was cleaning out the Garage I had to move it into the driveway to clean. I noticed something was kind of off with the clutch pedal. It went in really easy but still pulled backwards fine. I then pulled it back into the garage. Then yesterday I went to drive it cause it was nice out. Thats when shit hit the fan. Do you guys think Goodyear could have done something to cause this? They probably were mad at me for getting pissed about letting the guy test drive it. I hope its something not too exspensive. I really dont have the money to fix any more problems. Its ok though I have all winter to come up with the cash.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If they just installed your springs, there is not connection between them and your clutch/tranny, so it is very highly unlikely that they did something wrong that could be causing this problem.

One small bit of advice, GET RID OF THAT CENTERFORCE PIECE OF SHIT CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, don't EVER buy another centerforce clutch!!!!!!!!! They absolutely suck. I used a centerforce dual friction clutch one time, well lets just say I ripped that thing up inside of a month and they wouldn't do anything about it. Their products suck and they dont stand behind them. FOr NA cars I srongly recommend ACT, and for the VR4's I recommend RPS. 2 very good clutch companies with good reputaions and even better products.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This may sound kinda stupid but have you checked you clutch fluid? Has it gotten low before and have you seen any leaks? Have you bleed the system in a while? I don't know for sure bit I would rather look and see if it is something simple first.
Good luck

·
guitah playah
164 Posts
Clutch Hydraulics.

If you are still driving the car, (if you even can drive it), you will be doing damage to the clutch assembly and will need that replaced too.

Just had mine done. Not cheap. same problem. Its not like it was gradual. Clutch was working great... then one day... no feel in the pedal. Thats the clue its the hyrdaulics. After that, if you still try to drive the thing, its damaging the clutch assembly itself. I was on the highway in traffic when mine went. Drove it as best I could to the dealership without trying to do too much shifting (it was going into gears, but wasn't easy). Still damaged the damn thing. ugh.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The first thing i would do is drive it without a clutch. Kill the engine and shift into first. Start the engine and give it gas (no clutch used). It will shake a bit but it will start. At about 2500-3000 rpms shift into second (no clutch). If it doesn't go in, try increasing the rpms and then shift into second when rpms start dropping. Well, then go into 3rd, 5th using same techniques. If that works you have no problems with your tranny. I don't think the clutch assembly would be bad either. Check the hoses for leaks, cylinder.
I think that is a good thing to try because i drove my car like this while the dealership was backordering the new hose.

·
3s enthusiast
1,265 Posts
This is EXACTLY what my car was doing. Put in first while it is off (couldn't get it to engage otherwise) and when I started it with the clutch stomped to the ground, it would pull forward as if I had let off it a little. Turned out the brake fluid was leaking (the brake fluid that feeds the hydraulics of the clutch that is). I bled that and now it works perfectly. It would make sense if there was a slow leak and you hadn't driven it for a week that the lines would be about empy.

On a similar note, I know nothing about cars, and I've have mine about 3 weeks. The brake fluid is getting low again, so there is obviously a leak. Would someone give me an idea where is might be leaking from--is it a line that I could easily replace, or is it gonna cost me. I'm just about to do the 120k service and looking at a maxed out credit card as it is. sigh.

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
I dont thin it is the tranny as it is very unlikelt that all synchros go out all at once.

First I would check out your clutch hydraulics ctlutch master cylinder check it inside and out for leaks or see if the container is empty. Also check your slave cylinder for any leaks.

It is also very possible that your clutch disc could have sheared off a piece and is lodged in with the flywheel and pressure plate and again it is possible that a pressure plate bolt has become loose and now acs as if your pressure plate is warped.

I would put my money on one of those being your problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.