Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a VR4 today ... Black 1996 with 105,000 miles on it. This car was in REALLY good shape ... the interior was hardly even worn down, and hardly any exterior flaws. On the outside there was some paint chips from flieing rocks and one ding in the front windshield ... and the side stickers by the doors that say Twin Turbo .. are coming off ... other than that i could not see anything wrong with this VR4. the stock PSI gauge in the dash worked fine to .. i heard they dident work to well this one seemed to. I am seriosly considering buying this car even with the milege ... plus he is asking $16500 ... and then he told me his bottom price was $15000. he wants to get rid of it because his brother owned it then gave it to him and bought a Viper rt/10 ... then his brother passed away so he said everytime he sees the car he remembers his Bro. I dont know if i would sell a car for that reason ... but this guy is in his mid 50s to mid 60s. Seems nice enough ... Going to get a mechanic to check it out this week hopefully and if all checks out OK ... we will see, maybe i will be an owner soon enough.
he let me test drive it ... surprising since i am 17 ... i am still kinda wondering if this would be a stupid move or a good one, to buy a car with 100,000 miles on it ...

thanks for you time ... Later

·
Registered
330 Posts
That price sounds a bit high for those miles and that year. I'm all about high valuations for our car, but you're 17 and that's steep for 105k. Also, be aware that this is a high performance car, which means high maintenance costs. Make sure the 60k was done, or deduct the cost of that from what would normally be the cost (and if its not done at 100k, ask yourself how carefully the previous owner maintained the car). Also be aware that the transmission is a $3k job installed (for a Kormex, just guessing on labor), give or take a few hundred. With 100k on the car, make sure that you can afford:

1. The car
2. The normal maintenance
3. The insurance (won't be cheap at 17, if you can get it at all)
4. A new transmission if it should become neccessary

I'm not trying to talk you out of it.... far from it. Just make sure that you know what you are getting yourself into.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Don't pay too much for a used car

With all the craziness that has happened in the new car market in the last month (0% APR and stuff), the used car market is suffering big time. Prices are lower than ever, and people are having real trouble getting good prices on trade-ins or trying to sell privately.

Therefore, as a buyer, you have the upper hand. Take advantage of this to get yourself a really really good deal.

For example, in the Dallas paper this morning, I saw a 93 VR4 with 100 000k for like $6500, so there are options out there.

4,448 Posts
Pnuemonic said:
I am seriosly considering buying this car even with the milege ... plus he is asking $16500 ... and then he told me his bottom price was $15000.......
or do you mean mom and dad are considering buying this car for you???

we will see, maybe i will be an owner soon enough.
he let me test drive it ... surprising since i am 17 ...
i recommend that you get a non turbo for your (i assume) first sports car. they're quick and won't get you in TOO much trouble. the maintanance is virtually nonexsistant other than the normal stuff--plugs/wires, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, fluids, and tires. the TTs are more of a hassle if you go out and race them.

lastly, if you're only 17, i doubt you will be buying this car yourself. if you buy your own car, you will appreciate it ten times as much if your parents buy it for you. hell, go out and get good grades and ask them to buy your insurance. but don't have them buy you that car. kids with cars they didn't buy pisses me off :mad:

btw, i bought all 3 of my cars...

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
16500...is to high. For that car at least. If it had around 60k miles then that would be a fair price.

As far as buying it yourself..I didnt pay for mine completely I did pay about half of it though....and I appreciat my car and take care of it more than most people who buy there own cars.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Re: Re: Wow ... Test drove a VR4 today

unclesam099 said:

lastly, if you're only 17, i doubt you will be buying this car yourself. if you buy your own car, you will appreciate it ten times as much if your parents buy it for you. hell, go out and get good grades and ask them to buy your insurance. but don't have them buy you that car. kids with cars they didn't buy pisses me off :mad:

btw, i bought all 3 of my cars...
I agree in some ways and disagree in others! I for one worked from age 10 to 16 to have half the money for my first car which was an early 90's model Chevy Beretta GTZ. My stepdad's agreement was, I had to have half the money to get a car. Whether it be $500 or $10,000. I had to have half the money of whatever car I wanted, so I wasn't forced to have a payment. So, with hard work over my younger years I had saved up $5,500 dollars( alot of mowed yards and car washes:D:D)

Now, 1.5 years later when I was 17, my stepdad allowed me to trade the Beretta GTZ in for the brand new 93' Ford Lightning truck(which I still own and sits). I leased it and the payment wasn't all that bad at $256 per month. I paid for this while in my last years of highschool; until I entered college. My first year at college I commuted from home and still worked so I still paid for it, but when I moved away and went to U of K, things changed. I didn't want to work that much and concentrate more on my studies because I had to study hard. I fell behind on some payments and that forced me to drop out my next semester to catch up on payments. Actually, I made 2 payments on credit cards. YES! that was stupid!:rolleyes: Anyways, my dad started paying for the rest of it and the insurance all the way through college until it was paid off around when I graduated.

Now! that didn't make me appreciate it any less when he took over the payments. I paid 2 years on it and he paid the last 3 years. Hell, I appreciated it more, but on a different level I guess. As long as the kid/kids have a solid work background and have had to work a job then parents helping them isn't that big of a deal to me. But, if the kid has never had a job and the parents just fork out money then that is another story. As a matter of fact, my dad pays for my car payment right now and I'm 25 years old. But, my car payment is part of the salary he pays me. I work for him and this was one of our agreements! I see nothing wrong if parents have extra money to give to their child especially if they love them. But the parents should first teach the child a little economics so the kid just doesn't go spend happy. Teach the child to save, if you can. If you can't then minimize the money given to them.

I guess I can speak for myself, but recieving money from my parents was a gift and it was appreciated. I don't get money given to me anymore because I'm older, but when I was younger and they did, it was nice!;)

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Yep, entirely too high a price...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually!

Actually ... i have made a deal with my parents that if i get a solid job or an internship at a music recording studio (learn how to digitally record music to make records) then they would buy the car and i must pay it off like a loan ... they pay for it cash ... i pay them off so i dont lose money with a loan payment. Plus i am a person that gets his mind set on something and will do anything to get it .. that is logical and sane ... i want a vr4 so that i can maintain and take care of it untill it 1. dies and cant be fixed 2. i sell it.

And as for insurance ,... that is covered like this ... we own 8 cars ... 1972 buik wildcat, 1996 suburban, 1982 280z, 1989 M325is BMW, 1989 Accord lx-i, 2001 f-250 platinum edition, 1982 chevy deisal pickup, and a piece station wagon that is in minnesota ... we live in texas (my dad is an airline pilot he uses when he is stuck at the base) my dad has been with USAA insurance ever since he was 16 yers old (now 51) and has never had one wreck or insurance claim ... so .. he would b the primary drvier on the vr4 and i would be on that 1982 chevy pickup ... very cheap insurance for me ... and i am listed as a secondary driver on that car ... with full coverage ... very nice setup ... and as for respect ... i think thati would have it considering that ll the money i would be making at a job would be forked over to my parents for the car ... andi would pay for gas ... and if i had an intern then i would be working for FREE ... and not get paid .. but would end up with nice job experience and maybe end up with a really good job in aboput 3 or 4 months.....

Later ...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'd agree with the comments that the price is too high.
Also be prepared for the maintenance costs. The black quarter panels (aka fake windows) cost about $100 each. They are not the easiest thing in the world to replace (you have to work from the inside of the car). If just the twin turbo labels need replacing that is one thing, but if the quarter panel is peeling that is another matter.

The factory boost gauge is worthless. It does not read the actual vacuum or boost. It infers it from ECU data. So when you hear that the gauge doesn't work well this is what is being talked about.

Again, not trying to discourage you but make sure you know what your getting into.

Assuming the car is in good condition the private party sale price should be around $14,600.

Chris
1994 VR4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts