Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 95 SL the ex-owner told me that the trans of this car had been replaced under warranty ...I said that one time in a post, I and most of the viewers of that post consider it is just a bull sh*t at that time...

However, Today I finally got the trans been cleaned enough to read some info from the case...then I found there are stamped marks on the case as below.

I assume this means the trans was replaced or rebuilt in March 1997, is this right? or it means something other?

And by the way, what is a rusted steel plate in the last pic for? can I remove it and clean it without losing any ATF?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
1,078 Posts
Regarding the casting marks, it may be best or someone with an ATX to verify on theirs to see if they match up to their year (if original to them). Gave away my SOHC engine with ATX so can't help in that regard.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the casting marks, it may be best or someone with an ATX to verify on theirs to see if they match up to their year (if original to them). Gave away my SOHC engine with ATX so can't help in that regard.
Thanks. I think there are basically two possibilities.
1. this trans be replaced/rebuilt in 1997 and probably March 1997
2. this casting mark ref to the warranty, something like the warranty will expire in March 1997.

I think it should be the first one since I have never seen a warranty be marked on the trans directly...and The car is a 95, there should never be something mention 1997 from the original components...

·
Curmudgeon
5,737 Posts
If I remember that post correctly the claim was that the new transmission was somehow "stronger' or "more robust" than the old one. I don't think anyone ever doubted that the transmission had been replaced, just that the dealer's claim that the new one was "new and improved" was bullshit....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember that post correctly the claim was that the new transmission was somehow "stronger or "more robust" than the old one. I don't think anyone ever doubted that the transmission had been replaced, just that the dealer's claim that the new one was "new and improved" was bullshit...
Ah~, sorry, I did not get the spot, I was thinking even that rebuild thing is bull sh*t..., yeah that man really said it was stronger replacement, finally, he said he lost all the docs about this whole story... so I was thinking he just made this entire thing to fool me... but seems it did get some kind of replacement or rebuilding...

But I really hope he believes he fooled me and even giggles about it after I bought it since there is not so much time for him...

·
Curmudgeon
5,737 Posts
Well, maybe. But ya know? I don't think he was bullshiting you, I think the dealer bullshitted him!
Think about it, a customer lays out the money for a new car. The transmission dies... The customer's wondering what pile of crap did he buy? The Dealer assures him this new tranny won't break. This one is "Better" ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, maybe. But ya know? I don't think he was bullshiting you, I think the dealer bullshitted him!
Think about it, a customer lays out the money for a new car. The transmission dies... The customer's wondering what pile of crap did he buy? The Dealer assures him this new tranny won't break. This one is "Better" ...
That is so true, the pre owner seems to love this car very much, I saw many places in the user manual, he made some notes for maintenance recrods and always call this car "white rocket" , this made me laugh for a while, think about if an ATX already a rocket then the TT would be UFO... :ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts