Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to www.summitracing.com and part number MOR-41200.

Moroso: Aluminum, automatic transmission cooler/filter

Keep your race transmission cool

This cooler uses space age heat sink to disipate the excessive heat build up in your race transmission. It not only cools your fluid, but filters it too. The filter removes all wear particles over four microns in size. This kit includes two 1/4 in. NPT to 3/8 in. line fittings and all necessary installation instructions.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any suggestions? Any others you might recommend? :p ;)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Riiiiight. Why wouldn't I want a tranny cooler? lol :p

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
Are you joking brainfood? Those auto trannies are weak enough, especially if you race and not everyone of them have a REAL tranny cooler. Even if it does it can only help out more by adding another. Check out my old webpage for my SL here . It has pretty good step by step instructions and equipment recommendations for you. I installed one on my SL and it GREATLY effected the tranny fluid temp. You'd probably add another couple of years onto the life of a normal tranny if you add a cooler soon enough. Cooler = cooler fluid and more fluid = more cooling. I don't know about the exact cooler you're talking about above, but the one on my page is pretty much the biggest one you can fit in the grill without cutting it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Just buy the run of the mill tranny cooler.I paid $40. for mine at Pep-Boys.The best place to install it is in the front grill and in front of the A.C. condenser.Not much room to do it there so any thing that acts as a filter and may need to be changed/drained would be a P.I.T.A.

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
brainfood, have you not heard of the bad reputation the auto trannies get for being weak? Sure there's Andrew Caple's, whose auto tranny has never failed him, but Hans says he drives like an old woman ;) It can never hurt (especially for $40!) to add a tranny fluid cooler. It may not be required, but if you can lower the fluid temp by 20-30 degrees or however more then you'll certainly add to the life of it... don't you agree? Do you let your car idle for a few minutes after driving it, so the turbos cool? Probably, and I do too on my WRX... BUT I believe that the TT's probably have a water cooled turbo and they say you don't HAVE to let them cool. The people at the dealership told me the same, but I still let mine idle. I'm just assuming the TT's are water cooled too. I think adding a cooler would be just as important as a second filter.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The auto tranny already has a good filter system.The difference with the cooler is.Before the cooler was added the trans.fluid lines out and in were too hot to touch after the car had been driven.After adding the cooler the trans.line out of the tranny is still too hot to touch while the line in after the cooler is warm.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
sorny said:
brainfood, have you not heard of the bad reputation the auto trannies get for being weak? Sure there's Andrew Caple's, whose auto tranny has never failed him, but Hans says he drives like an old woman ;) It can never hurt (especially for $40!) to add a tranny fluid cooler. It may not be required, but if you can lower the fluid temp by 20-30 degrees or however more then you'll certainly add to the life of it... don't you agree? Do you let your car idle for a few minutes after driving it, so the turbos cool? Probably, and I do too on my WRX... BUT I believe that the TT's probably have a water cooled turbo and they say you don't HAVE to let them cool. The people at the dealership told me the same, but I still let mine idle. I'm just assuming the TT's are water cooled too. I think adding a cooler would be just as important as a second filter.
No,

TT's are only Block water cooled. The turbo's rely on the oil circulating through them to lower the temperature, and also lubricate the turbine.

*edit - I was wrong here. MY stupidity. I don't know why I was thinking this. There is water cooling on the turbos. :rolleyes: Take me to the stocks and stone me. *

Hence the need for a cool down period. Otherwise, the super heated Turbos will bake the remant Oil in the bearing area, and create a 'coke' product of ash and gunk. That wears away at the turbo prematurely, and causes an earlier death.

But Sorny is right. In general, if you can lower the temp of the fluids, that allows them to absorb more heat and carry it away from rotating tranny parts. This keeps them cooler, and harder, so they wear less quickly. Same for the clutch packs in an Auto tranny. Cool = longer life. Period.

Elton

*edit - added a post thought*

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
Yeah :p

(ignores the fact that he was wrong about the TT's turbo cooling system)

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
whoops, I was wrong.

The turbo's are water cooled also. I don't know why I thought they weren't. :confused:

I second guessed myself, and went and checked a few sources, manual, and tech's, and it does have water cooling.

Must be the long work day. :(

Anyhow, Sorny was still right about the trans cooler stuff.

Elton

·
4,613 Posts
yea the turbos are water cooled but still need a cool down my stocks failed at 120k becuase of imporper maintenance (ie cooldown) I agree the cooler cant hurt and I would go to kragen or pepboys and get a cheap one.. the one pictured above seems like it would cost a pretty penny

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its only 60 bucks...
When I buy one I want to get a good one, not a cheap one to get me by... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
First of all.Just because it cost more doesn't mean its any better.It looks cool but you are going to have to mount it where there is air flow so it won't be visible anyway.Its just a radiator for your trans.fluid its not exactly rocket science.As far as just getting by.The cooler I have is rated for a car twice the size of mine with towing capacity to spare so its more than enough.If you didn't want opinions why did you ask?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mikes95RT - First of all, it will be highly visable, my car is a 99. So if I mount it in the front, you will be able to clearly see it. Why you giving me an attitude? I was just giving my opinion back. I know exactly what an oil cooler does. The difference between 40 and 60 is not a lot, so I would opt for the 60 dollar one. I like to stick with the top of the line brands, thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Sorry, but I took it you had the attitude.It seemed you were saying what I had was just getting by and it wasn't good enough for you.Sometimes post are misleading. Its really no big deal either way.Buy it and tell us how it works,fits, thats all I did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts