Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so i got in this wreck and fucked some shit up majorly today...

Yes I suck... insurance wont be paying a dime so it all comes out of my pocket... what can I do?

I need a new front bumper, headlights, and hood on my 91 sl...

I was considering the 99 front bumper, 94-99 hood and lights... what do you all think? and if i were to do this wheres the cheapest i could get these parts?

another option is the cheaper one, by just replacing the parts with original pieces...moneys kind of the factor here so i need some advice...

heres a link to me, my car, and my car wrecked... yes it sickens me more than it frightens you...

http://www.pbase.com/stpgt/root

any advice or other ideas help... thanks!

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
Welcome to the club. I need the exact same stuff you do, but we're poor, so I'm going to have to go with OEM replacements and have a rainbow colored car. Oh well, such is life...

My Wreck

·
1,568 Posts
Looking at the photos of your accident it looks to me you will need more than a front bumper, headlights, and hood for your car. There is damage to the front end support structure that will have to be fixed before you can even replace the front end components. I would get an estimate of the damage before buying parts. It may be more than you estimated. Sorry, I know it sucks.:(

·
Registered
905 Posts
I went through the same thing man... don't sweat it. I needed 4 new wheels and tires (60 MPH curbs aren't good for them) new side skirts, and a rear bumper... Sucks, but you'll make it through... Look at the Junk yards for parts, I went to M&S recycling, and just think... now's and good time to upgrade...

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Like defgh1 said, you've damaged way more than the bumper fascia and hood. The radiator is moved about 2" back on the passenger side, the fuze box is folded backward. You've probably bent back a little that front part of the frame on that side. Really won't know til you get stuff off, but you're gonna need that whole front corner pulled back out. Look very closely for any kinks on the fender, particularly along the edge by the hood, and where it mounts along the top inner edge. Those are clues that lead to whether there might br front frame damage. Unfortunately, I think there's more than meets the eye in this case...

EricB

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know that the whole front metal piece in front of the radiator will have to be relocated... pulled backin to place or whatever... but nothing mechanical is wrong...no leaks, breaks or anything... but after i get that shit reset the way its supposed to be im gonna try to see about how much i can do the 99 conversion for, andif not i know i should be able to find same gen replacements, cheaper too.. so that will be last option...

it all depends on how much it is to fix that bent metal... and lucky i get finding a deal on 99 or 94-98 parts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Unfortunately, your frame will never be the same. Plus, paying someone for time on a Kansas Jack isn't cheap (do they still use Kansas Jacks?)

I'd say.... part-out, or sell your car, and use the money you get, plus the cash it would have cost to fix it on a VR-4! :D

That's the easy fix. For the some-odd thousand dollars it will probably end up costing you to fix the car (I do agree with Suthnr, there's more there than just fender and bumper damage), you're probably better off buying a new (new to you, not necessarily a brand new) car.

·
Proud 3000GT Driver
3,221 Posts
on a carfax report we got on my car, it said that 4 days after it was bought originally (June of 94 i believe), it was in a front end collision. musta sucked for that guy. but anyway, it seems like the same thing you've got here...turns out my car has a TURBO radiator, some blue painted screws under the hood, a RE-DRILLED support beam or whatever you call it (the painted section under your hood right after the mitsu logo and before the actual engine stuff)....all types of shit that are subtle but jump out at you when you know it was in an accident... the car is fine now, but the point is that i think you'll be fine after you assess all the damage and figure out the best way to find all the random parts...hope i helped

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im considering getting all 94 parts put on...because i can get them all together as a package from someone at a decent price...

then i would hire someone to bend that radiator protection metal piece back into place, get my fender back to normal, then put on all new parts... nothing mechanically is bad, so it would be stupid and a waste of money to part out my car...

besides, you all sound like quitters... ive only had my car 3 or 4 months... its been a bit of trouble too... and already it holds too much sentimental value to just give away... have some heart for your babies guys...

well im going to get full estimates tommorrow... ill keep you all updated on what im gonna do... prolly tommorrow night ill know...
then we will see what i do from there...

definately not a part out or sell though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts