Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to be putting in what will now be my fourth tranny.

1rst one was the stocker from the factory lasted 108,000 not bad.

2nd one was to replace the 1rst and had it all bolted up and ready to go and it was the wrong one. Thats what I get I fucked myself for buying used from a bunch of idiots.

3rd and I thought would be the last for a very long time to come is going to now need replaced.

I was half way to Tulsa about 20 min. into my drive and decide to pull over at a convenience store to get something to drink come out of the store and notice a big ass puddle. Jaw just dropped ran over to it and immediately could tell that it was brand new tranny fluid that was leaking. Keep in mind this was a brand new tranny from the Wisconsin warehouse. Only about 2 months into her and I could not believe what I was seeing. So I say to myself work can go fuck itself and head back home as fast as I can to get her to a safe place and park it in the shop.

Put the car up on a jack and jack stands and wipe down all of the trany fluid that was visible and start the car get back under it and I can now see where it is all coming from. It was dripping out of a very little hole(tiny) that is supposed to be there for the clutch dust and air to circulate and what not. This hole is located on the bell housing where the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel are all housed.

How in the hell was tranny fluid getting in there wipe it down again and sure enough that is where it is coming from. What happened was the seal that surrounds the input shaft blew I'm guessing.

Good news is it came with a 3yr. 36,000 mile warranty. Dealership has already ordered me another tranny and it will be here in a week. I have not even pulled it yet and they were nice enough to just go ahead and order it. I tell you this local dealer that I have found is the shit. I am actually going through a Dodge dealership he saves me so much money for parts.
A tranny that was gonna cost me $3850 they charged $2400.

Bad news and makes me sick to my stomach is having to do all of this all fuckin over again just 2 months later and I don't even know if I need a new clutch or not till I pull it out. It may have some tranny fluid on it.

WHAT PISSES ME OFF THE MOST WAS ONLY REASON i DIDN'T GET A TT WAS BECAUSE I HAD READ AN RESEARCHED ABOUT THE HORROR STORIES OF THEIR TRANNY'S.

I'm cool though
:)

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Wow. I started reading this and thought "well, there goes another fine Getrag" Then I get to the end and find out yours is FWD :eek: That's rough man. My tranny has over 137,000 miles on it. It's probably one of the only original parts of the car. The casing is virtually black with road crud. Even after running it at 30% above its rated torque output, it's still holding up. It's starting to leak and grind (it ground when I got it though) but it's still running pretty well. Usually the FWD trannies are pretty stout. Good luck with getting yours working again.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
HOLY SHIT!!! That's INSANE! What did I tell you?! Break in Period! lol j/k Man, that's just.... I dunno what to say..... crazy...

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Brian, I curious

You mention you installed a transmission and found out it was the wrong one. Was it off a SOHC or did it just have the different number of plines on the shafts? I understand that DOHCs and SOHCs have slightly different gearing but am not clear on the spline number breakdown (23 to 18 or something like that) by the years.

Ron

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
I believe Brian got one from a 91-92 model. The axle shafts have different diameters then 93+ models.

I ran a carfax report on the VIN that was on the FWD trans that I had purchased for my auto-manual swap. It said it had 109k miles on it, but the 1st and 2nd gear sychro were trash. After the rebuild it still shifts like butter :). Now it's time for that LSD whenever I get around to it. Gotta put the stealth back together first ;).

I wouldn't brag about beating me in trans rebuilds/installs :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts