Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I just picked this car up and everything was perfect.... the other night i noticed that on the odd occasion, it wouldnt go into reverse like something was blocking it....
Well its just started to do the same thing with 2nd gear...
Ill give you as much info as I can, please just tell me I am low on some type of fluid....
so far from what I can tell, when I first start the car and drive, it seams fine, after about 5 mins of driving it will not upshift to 2nd !!!! downshifting seams ok most of the time, so far it is just these 2 gears.... and also sometimes when I manage to get it into these gears, it wont come out unless I force it out...
It was perfect 2 days ago !!!1
PLEASE HELP!!

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
you should check out the clutch hydraulic system. make sure its full of fluid, and also try bleeding it to make sure there's no air in the line. and then from there you'll be able to determine if there's some sort of problem somewhere, i had similar symptoms with the clutch master cylinder failed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is I dont know how to do any of that hehe
but ill tell my mechanic that.... at the moment im shifting from 1-3 and it has had no problems, only 2nd and reverse
thanks..

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
This VERY SAME thing happend to me about one week ago. would not go into 2nd and revearse. So I was Getting mad b/c i have only had the car for about one month. so I took off the shift boot so I could see in there
and fallowed the clutch cable unitl I couldn't anymore and just moved it arround with my hand. Now since then I have not had any probloms at all. I think in my case there was something just holding it back from going in those gears but, all I know is that it worked for me... who knows

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm ill give that a try, i think i can work that one out....
anyone else have any ideas??? I am stressed !!! I bought this GTO because my other is stuffed and im waiting for a reco tranny to come into the country, nearly sent me broke... if this one goes down, im stuffed !!!!

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
Sounds like bent forks or worn out synchros. I'm guessing more bent forks though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, just went for a quick play around and a quick drive....
it seams that if i go into second shifting from the middle(neutral) then it works fine, if i try and shift straight down from 1st gear, its like somethings blocking it, so i tried it a few times going from 1st, to neutral then to 2nd and its perfect..... havent quite worked out reverse yet, but thank god ive got around second....
any ideas ??? if it is a bent fork, is that hard to fix ?? something i can do myself ?? expensive ?? thanks for the responses... please keep em coming :)

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
For going into reverse put it at the spot then slowly let up on the clutch it should pop right in. I have trouble sometimes getting in some gears but I always manage to get it in there. Reverse...i usually put it in second to align the synchros then i slide over to reverse. 1st to 2nd I go out to around nuetral and sorta go in at an angle.

-Jeff

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
I tell you what. My car wouldn't go into gear without forcing it. It will go in gears when the car is off or cold. When the car is warmed up .. man.. first and reverse (mostly) would be impossible to get into. I thought it was my tranny or other shit. Checked the fluid, fine... pissed me off.. took it to the dealership and took him 5 mins. to adjust my clutch pedal. Now, I can use 2 fingers to shift into any gears. I hope that is your case. Check from the basic first (or any least start from the cheapest). Good luck man

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Adjusting clutch pedal......did he make it so that it disengages earlier or later?

-Jeff

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Sounds like a fluid problem. I had the same thing happen to a car that I put straight 40 weight oil into the transmission. After the oil heated up, it became impossible to shift and would get stuck in gears. Try changing it out with some good gear oil and you should be ok. Also check your clutch master cylinder to see if the fluid level is up to par. www.stealth316.com is a site to look at if you are confused :).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again for the responses... so many different things to try...
ill see a mechanic monday if I can, but if i cant... is this gonna wreck anything ???
driving it like this ?

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
But guys, he said that it'll go into second from neutral, but won't go from 1st. Did you try downshifting from 3 to 2?

I don't know, but if it's going into gear from neutral, but not from first, then that sounds like a synchro. If anyone should know about tranny failures, it should be me, lol. I've had 4 in my car so far. But the problem he's talking about, i was told it was a synchro on my car. It could be oil, i hope it is, hehe, that's a cheaper fix for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, had another good drive tonight....
i have worked out how to shift from 1st to second no problems, i just cant push it all the way to the left like i usually would when going down from 1st to 2nd... i have to bring it to the right just a touch and it goes in smoothly....
downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is fine....
only main problem i had tonight was when i dragged someone it got stuck in second !!!!
had to force it out, was doing 6000rpms and so i couldnt try playing with the clutch, just shoved it out hehe
gonna get it checked out today or tomorrow, ill let you guys know what it was...
thanks... and again if anyone thinks they know... let me know

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
It's your synchros or bent forks definatly. That's what i think anyway, let us know what i t was.

·
Registered
784 Posts
They would have adjusted the clutch so it engages earlier, that is, as soon as the pedal is off the floor, it starts to engage. I know it doesn't make much sense, seems like this would not be as good as engaging later, but it is.

·
Registered
459 Posts
since you don't have trouble shifting into the gears at different angles. Ex. a touch to the right when shifting from 1st to 2nd, it makes me think that your BOV might be getting in the way of the lever that moves next to it when shifting. when i was working on my BOV there were times that if i didn't push the BOV out of the way i wouldn't be able to shift into 2nd, 4th, 6th, or reverse. Try shifting into 2nd when your car is off and then pop your hood and look around your BOV to make sure the shifting lever is not touching or very close to the BOV, if not then sorry for wasting your time but it is worth a try. let me know how it turns out

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
I'm not beeing a smart ass here, just trying to get more info, hehe.

Ok, so if he can't go from 1-2 but can go from 3-2, could it still be the bov? 'Cause getting into second gear isn't a problem for him as he stated, it's the synchronization from first to second that just won't fit. if he goes from nutral to second, it still goes, and if he goes from third to second, it goes. Say it was the bov that was in the way, would it block only from first to second?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts