Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 93 stealth has the ECS feature but whatever jackass had it before me for some reason took the switch in the dash under the steering wheel, next to the rear wiper switch, out and now both Tour and Sport lights on my cluster gauge is always on. Anyone possibly to be able to give me an idea of how to connect a universal toggle switch to the ecs tour and sport mode connector? Cuz honestly I don't think my car knows where to go stiff or soft on the suspension LMAO

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
The switch you described sounds like the exhaust toggle switch. ECS is just a small round push button. So you're good there.
As for both tour and sport lights, this most likely indicates a problem with your ECS module.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The switch you described sounds like the exhaust toggle switch. ECS is just a small round push button. So you're good there.
As for both tour and sport lights, this most likely indicates a problem with your ECS module.
Let me rephrase that flash off and on. But theres supposed to be a switch at the right hand side

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,692 Posts
The Tour/Sport switch you showed that you are missing is for the Active Exhaust. Both ECS and Active Exhaust have a pair of green "Tour" and "Sport" lights.

As BlackStealth said, the ECS button is to the right of the instrument pod:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yah, im not sure how this all works (93 VR4 new to me).
So, you press in the ECS button on the dash, and this does what? Something you feel or hear? Does anything light up?
Then, you press the rocker switch to the right of the wheel, and there is a green TOUR light comes on the dash....and what should i see, hear, or hear?
Pressing the same rocker switch to SPORT lights up a SPORT light in the dash, and this does what? See, hear or feel?

Does the ECS button need to be pressed in for the TOUR or SPORT buttons to work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The ECS button will toggle between sport and tour mode on the suspension. Sport is firmer and tour is softer. The Sport/tour toggle switch near the ignition switch will make your exhaust louder or quieter. Sport is louder, tour is quieter. A lot of the active exhaust systems on our cars seize up at the back and stop working. There is an electric valve in the exhaust just before the muffler on the drivers side at the back. Sometimes the valve can be loosened up with PB Blaster etc to get it working again. The ECS suspension system is kind of complicated but there is lots of info here to read on and test etc. Good luck.

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,692 Posts
In summary, when the ECS button is out, it is in automatic mode (anti-dive under hard braking, anti-roll from rapid steering wheel turning, etc.) and has 3 levels of stiffness. It is in the softest mode during normal driving. When the button is in, it holds the suspension in the hardest/stiffest mode, sport.

More details:
Title: Electronic Control Suspension (ECS)
Source: 1991 3000GT Service Manual (pg 33B-18,19)

When in Sport mode selected the suspension is set at Hard.

When in Tour mode the following Control Functions are active:

Anti-Roll
If the steering wheel is rotated 90 degrees within 0.3 seconds
then the suspension is set at Medium. If this change occurs
within 0.2 seconds then it is set at Hard.

Anti-Dive
If the speed of the vehicle drops quickly during braking then
the suspension is set at Hard.

Anti-Squat
The suspension will harden at low speeds when accelerating
quickly. During hard acceleration at 30km/h the suspension
is set at Hard, at 60km/h it is set at Medium, at 90km/h it
is set at Soft. At all speeds suspension will change to
Medium after a second of acceleration.

High Speed Sensitive
When accelerating the suspension will change from Soft to
Medium at 130km/h and will revert back to soft when the
speed drops below 120km/h.

Pitching and Bouncing
If the vehicle's body bounces up and down by approx 5cm within
a second then the suspension is set at Hard until this motion
ceases.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Turbo-Powered: thanks. INCREDIBLY SOPHISTICATED! ...and nigh impossible to test if those conditions are met, huh. (E.g., "...if the steering wheel is rotated 90 degrees within 0.3 seconds then the suspension is set at Medium. If this change occurs within 0.2 seconds then it is set at Hard....".)
Can you actually tell when different suspension levels are operative?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Tour/Sport switch you showed that you are missing is for the Active Exhaust. Both ECS and Active Exhaust have a pair of green "Tour" and "Sport" lights.

As BlackStealth said, the ECS button is to the right of the instrument pod:

View attachment 299470
Oh that one🤦 haha. Wasnt even payin attention to that one lol. My bad. Yea i got that one. The one below it is what i was wantin to wire a switch to.

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,692 Posts
. . . Can you actually tell when different suspension levels are operative?
If you're driving on a road with some bumps, and you switch to Sport mode, you can feel that the suspension gets stiffer. Otherwise it's hard to tell when anti-dive and anti-roll are activated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most definitely a lot of useful information but the initial question at the start of the forum is basically how to wire up a toggle switch where the tour and sport button should be. Like it's a five pin connector and I can get a switch with 5 connection points. I just need to know which wire goes to which point on the switch lol. Would anyone happen to have that information??😁😁

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,692 Posts
Most definitely a lot of useful information but the initial question at the start of the forum is basically how to wire up a toggle switch where the tour and sport button should be. Like it's a five pin connector and I can get a switch with 5 connection points. I just need to know which wire goes to which point on the switch lol. Would anyone happen to have that information??😁😁
So you want to restore the Active Exhaust function? Just buy a used switch from someone. You'll need to free up the valve in the exhaust pipe and make sure the actuating cable and motor are still in place.
You can download the Service Manuals for free from 3SX, one of the 3S Facebook Groups, and a few other places I can't remember at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts