Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read in other posts that some of you winter drive your cars....I was just wondering for those of you who drive VR4's/RTTT, what sort of tires/rims you use in winter, and how they handle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have any choice but to winter drive it this year...:(

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
AWD cars do very well in the snow. You can use your factory rims no problem. I would recommend using a mud and snow approved tire though. Most tires are. Check your tires for a "M+S" on it. These means it is approved for use in mud and snow. However, this is not an excuse to drive with out caution. Still keep plenty of following distance and try not to make fast starts or hard brakeing. Your AWD should work wonders for keeping the car in control should you hit black ice, snow, mud, water puddles, what ever. Most of the time you wont even know you hit them. You may also want to switch to a less viscous tranny fluid to improve shifting when it is cold. Red Line MTL is used by a lot of members. You also don't have to worry about letting your car "warm up". Cars are built to drive off in as soon as you start them and you see oil pressure. In fact most manufactures recommend against letting the engine heat up before driving. The car will actually heat up faster if you drive it and that means your heater will work sooner too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bret, Thanks for your help! Right now I have 245/45ZR17 BFGoodrich Comp T/A's on my stealth...I'm positive they don't have a M/S rating.. I've been having trouble finding a brand that has winter tires, (or even some good all season tires) in 245/45/17. If anyone knows of a brand, please help me out!!!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Salt from the roads will eat through your chrome rims. I've heard putting vaseline on them helps prevent damage.

-Jeff

·
Registered
54 Posts
winter tires

I put Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 tires on my 97 VR-4 (245/40/ZR18) for year-round driving. They come in multiple sizes. The car is my daily driver so although you will sacrifice some dry weather grip, the tires work great in the rain and I heard they work well in the snow (that's why I picked these). I got them at etires.com for $225 a piece with free shipping. Hope that helps.

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
Bridgestone makes a winter tire in our size. It is called the Blizzak. You may have to order them though, I'm not sure. And speaking of salt, it will tear everything metal to peices in time. So take your car to get it cleaned often. I recommend the machine cleaners so you don't have to freeze your self to death just to wash your car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
FWIW..I live in tropical Anchorage

We have had snow, ice, and frost on the road for over a month now. I was really afraid that my summer tires would be scary.

However, I am absolutely shocked at how my baby handles in the winter without winter tires. I have to watch corners with road frost, but generally she really grips.

My son has blizzaks on his Subarau SVX. If were going to get a winter tire that would probaly be it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey cascott, I just ordered some Blizzak MZ-01's, they should be in this afternoon. However, I talked to a "tire expert" at etires.com who said the blizzaks would transform my can into a mushy unresponsive vehicle...so i'm having second thoughts. I mean they are for winter...so mushy might not be that bad, and I don't expect them to handle as well as my comp TA's... Anyways how do they handle on the SVX? Any problems?

·
Registered
72 Posts
blzzaks...no doubt handling suffers. All you have to do is feel the rubber

compound on the tire and you can feel how "soft" they are.

However, our idea is that we have snow/ice on the roads for the better part of 7 months here. The SVX grips like a tiger with the blizzaks on the ice and snow. You can burn them up really fast on dry pavement doing curves @1g :D

Not going to be doing much performance driving during the winter season...and you go into to a kinda performance "hibernation.":(

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what you mean about performance "hibernation"..... Anyways here in Alberta we have snow for a while, then it melts, then more snow...another melt..etc. this continues all winter. So I'm concerned I might burn up the tires to fast when there isn't snow on the ground. I heard that as long as its cold out they shouldn't burn up to fast...any truth to this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
"my opinion"

As long as you are not tring to drive like AJ Foyt :D you will be OK. However, due to the nature of the tire compund they will wear much more quickly on dry pavement than a normal street tire.

-c

·
842 Posts
1991RT_TT
Where are you in Canada, I’m in Ottawa and I’ve got 4 Blizzaks on mine.

Your car will take off faster, but don’t forget it will not stop faster and the 245 are a bit wide so watch your self when the road is slushy the car temps to float.

You better order a set today, last year they were sold out!!!!:(

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fou, I'm in Calgary. I ordered 4 blizzaks...finally found some. I got a set shipped down from Edmonton. How do they corner on ice and snow....? Any sliding around?

·
842 Posts
They perform as good as other good winter tires, like you said ice and snow.
You got some traction but again how fast are you going.
The best thing would be to stud your tires.:D
How much for the tires?
I know the coast is $480, but how much they coast you?

·
842 Posts
I can’t remember if I got mine at $ 250 or 255, it was 25? Last year. :confused:
Just imagine the poor sucker that pays $ 450 /480 + taxes each.
The Blizzaks are good tires, just remember this spring to change them before the weather get to warm other wise the tires will melt. ;)

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
The Zeix-502 from Falken are a good all-season tire. They are M+S rated and Z speed rated :D :D :D these are what I have on my TT (255/45ZR17 on stock rims till spring) and love them, nice handling on all road conditons, they have really wide grooves to get rid of the stuff (water/snow/mud). And i think you can get them for aboe $130 from Tirerack.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm in Ottawa, Canada and we've had only 1 day of snow/ice so far. Been balmy at 12c = 54f degrees lately.

I just bought a set of all-season Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetricals 245-45ZR17 from tirerack.com based on the reviews and my cheapness. They're supposed to have VERY good snow traction for a Z rated performance tire.

Not as good as a true snow, but I can wear these tires all year round and avoid the expense of 2 sets of tires. I also avoid having to decide between buying an expensive new set of wheels or breaking the tires off of the wheels twice a year.

Also, Blizzaks tend to squirm a bit and other snow tires also act strangely on pavement or make excessive noise. Here in Ottawa we get a lot of days of dry pavement during winter.

Been running the OEM Goodyear GSCs on my 94 TT in the snow for 5 years. Been surprisingly decent, with the AWD, compared to all my previous RWD cars. Will be interesting to see how the Dumlops handle...

Dunlops were $140 US each from tirerack. Total price including taxes and shipping was about $1200 Canadian for 4. Best local dealer price was about $1500 Canadian incl. taxes. Took about a week and saved $300 Canuck minus what I'll pay for installation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts