Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get wind noise at highway speeds coming from the upper-front portion of the driver window. Water doesn't leak through. Is this common, what is the fix?
Thanks in advance guys.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
What year is your car??

Basically, your window isn't all the way up..
This happened to my 93 right before my window stopped working..

I think the window not going up all the way is a precursor to the window all of a sudden not working.

My window stopped working, and I took of the door panel to see what it was. The cable that raises and lowers the window has frayed and is stuck in the pulley that it travels on..

Any ideas on how to fix that?? I don't think the motor is bad or anything, and I don't want to spend the $600 to fix it if its not broke...

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is 92 VR-4. The windows seems to work fine and is all the way up when the wind whistle happens. Maybe it's the rubber trim. About your problem SilverBullet, I've never opened the door panel and couldn't give you an advice.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
My window worked fine, too.. Make sure it does go all the way up though.. it will LOOK like it does, but it really doesn't... it's only like a .5mm gap..
If it's not that, than I don't know...

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
the rubber seal dries out and crackes. rub some vaseline on the entire seal, just a thin coat tho, you dont want so much that sticks gobs to the window when the door closes. this will seal the door frame to the window better. try it, i bet it works! it did for me.

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
the rubber seal dries out and crackes. rub some vaseline on the entire seal, just a thin coat tho, you dont want so much that sticks gobs to the window when the door closes. this will seal the door frame to the window better. try it, i bet it works! it did for me.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rob, but doesn't vaseline attack rubber (condoms ring a bell)? Maybe just latex.

I'll try some rubber protectant.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My 91 TT does the same thing. No leaks, but a fair amount of wind noise, and even some hood shakes at high speeds (like another owner once reported). I just chalked it up to bad aerodynamics- duck, here come the flames! Seriously, I don't imagine those stupid strut covers and huge mirrors do much for aerodynamics.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealer tried to fix the wind noise problem by adjustin, the window, and replacing the triangular plastic thing in front of the window. Neither worked.

I've thought of putting a strip of weatherstripping foam on to see if I can isolate the problem but haven't tried that yet. It could also be that the curvature of the top of the window isn't exactly right.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah same problem here... passenger window. if the passenger pushes the window a certain way it goes quiet... Like i read a second ago it is about a .5mm gap or wahtever ... it's really damned small and that's all that matters. The whistle increases at high speeds, not noticable at low ones. I am in the habit of cracking the window a bit so its not a whistle but constant air... not as irritating, ya know

·
'05 Pontiac GTO CGM/M6
228 Posts
I have the same problem, but I have a different opinion about it. My window goes all the way up, but I believe that it goes too far. I don't know why, or if there is some kind of limiter as to stop it, but if i look at the "black triangle" in the front of the window on the top with it all the way up, it has split, and the window has come thru a little. I have noticed the window goes all the way up, but right before it reaches the limiter (since mine goes a little too far) the window "pushes" out too far as tho it is going too high on the seal. I still have to take it apart and see if there is anything I can do to to set these limits, and I am sure by now, that the seal is bad on the door from it not seating properly, so I might as well change that. And it does leak water by the way, but maybe mine has been doing this for a while, and the seal just couldn't compensate anymore. I will let you know how it goes. Plan on doing it soon, as I have the car in storage for the winter.
Ed
'93 R/T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts