Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
I believe they will not fit 2nd-gen brakes. I have 2nd gen front calipers and 17" OZ wheels for my '91 TT and they do fit with each other (I think). I can go upstairs and try out my old wheels on my car (still in a million pieces, but getting better) and let you know. I'll try to do this and post back in a little while....

-Chris Wood

P.S. If they don't fit with stock wheels and you REALLY want 2nd-gen brakes, I HIGHLY recommend OZ Racing F1 Plus wheels 17 x 9.5, 36mm offset. They fit our cars as well as one can hope for at 9.5" width and allow 275s! I was dead set on 17" OZ wheels (don't like the hazard of 18s, don't like most non-F1 style wheels). They are on sale for $160 APIECE at OZWheels.com, check 'em out!

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
the 2nd gen rear brakes will fit.

the 2nd gen front rotors will fit, however the 17'' wheels are not big enough to clear the calipers. The 2nd gen calipers stick out farther from the knuckle. sorry...

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
I can confirm what Rob says, the fronts will not fit. There is only slight interference between the caliper and the outside part of the spokes, possibly something that could be solved by shaving metal from the caliper, the wheel, or both. I would be reluctant to shave the wheel, it might weaken it or bring it out of balance. In my opinion it COULD be done, but I would hate to spend lots of money and possibly destroy good 2nd-gen front calipers only for it to not work. On the upside they most definately fit with plenty of room to spare with my OZ 17s. You COULD get the brakes, try to grind them conservatively to fit - and if they still don't buy aftermarket rims. I'd actually like to see if they would just barely clear with aftermarket 16s so I can have cheap, dent-proof winter wheels.

On that note, does anyone know where I can get CHEAP steel wheels in large sizes and stock-ish offsets? Like 17-inch steel wheels - 7 or 8 inches wide with a +46mm-ish offset? I'm probably going to need a new spare for these brakes, what did the 2nd-gen turbo cars come with?

Thanks,

-Chris Wood

P.S. 9.5" is a bit wide, in fact with that width and a +36mm offset the tires (275s on my friend's DOHC 3KGT) come quite close to hitting the strut and the wheels still stick out noticeably. I might get wheel flares for looks. 9.5" at +36mm is still perfect as far as I'm concerned, closer to the stock offset (+46mm) and the tire or both wheel and tire would hit the strut. Less than +36mm and the wheel would stick out farther for no reason.

P.P.S. You could also get very small (like 5mm, maybe less) hub-centric spacers to make the stock wheels fit with 2nd-gen calipers. Many people caution against spacers, but I believe the correct hub-centric spacers with lengthened studs (obtainable here, for a price) would work just fine.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I am a little confused. Since the 94 VR4 has the same brakes as my 94 Stealth TT does the 94 Stealth have special rims to accomodate the brakes? The Stealth had 17s stock with 18s as an option that year. Was the VR4 18s only in 94? I am certain there was no difference in the cars themselves but perhaps the 17s in 94 had some kind of offset built into the wheel. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Until 1996 all european cars have been delivered with 17" wheels and we all have the larger brake setup.

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
When did the switch to bigger brakes occur? I've been told that it happened in 6/92. Is this correct? The reason I am asking is my car was made in 7/92 and it has the stock 17X8½ rims, and I cant even get my finger between the rim and the caliper. There is not much clearance at all.

Chris

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
brainfood said:
I might do that but isnt 9.5 kinda big? I was wondering for someone with a '97 becuase he might borrow my wheels so could you check for me? thanks a bunch
Bryan, you are the kewlest guy ever man!

I think I'm just gonna buy a cheap single Kuhmo tire replacement and then sometime next month replace all the tires all the way around with some decent ones when I got a little cash saved up.

Just so everyone knows, Bryan was gonna loan me his rims since I blew out a tire and can't afford to replace all my tires right now. Plus he was hella kewl and checked out my car when I was having a horrid shaking problem. I'm really glad he is on this board and will always have my respect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts