Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I may be a newb but ill try to stick to the tuners.

I have hit Tallahasee Mits for some parts knowing I would get a discount(since I tried to go through and tuner and didnt get a responsive enough answer).

I also used my local Mits dealer(just recently he is giving me some discounts saying anyone willing to restore a Vr4 is cool in his book) and is giving me his cost on some parts.(not sure if this is all my parts).

Other than that, Ill back em up. Especially for 20-30 dollars. Unless I need the part ASAP(like same day).

I was wondering this also, seems like these guys will jump through 10 hoops to save 5 bucks on a 200$ item. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
JoeYu said:
Rich,
I'm not disagreeing w/ you, but is it "selling out on your own" if we buy say a starter from jagworks.com rather than a mitsubishi dealer? Yes, the dealer isn't the underdog here, but still.
Sometimes I agree, paying a bit more for excellent service would be worth it, but if I were to buy a gauge pod and a bunch of autometer gauges, I would prolly buy from summit or jegs purely on the fac tthat they have a much wider selection as well as a cheaper price.
Although if I were buying turbos or etc., I would definately go w/ for ex: DR over TEC. :)

-Joe
I don't think anyone is worried about selling out our Mitsu dealerships, they make plenty of cash on their own. It's the tuners/inventors he's talking about (3SX/Supermac/DR/GTPRO/GZP/etc).

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
In some of my MBA classes (mainly the marketing ones) we've learned that although there are many factors that influence a person's decision to buy, price is still the TOP motivating factor.

Yes it sucks but it's the american way.... money above all else.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I will never understand why everybody goes to Summit, Horsepowerfreaks, or any other place for parts and supplies when we have a number of perfectly good tuners within ourselves. Is it really worth the extra $5.00 you save from one of these places and sacrifice our own for a couple of pennies? What kind of customer service do they offer?

Just tired of seeing all these group buys and special offers popping up all over the place from companies and people that we have never heard of and don't know from Adam, who make absolutely zero contributions of any sort to our community, and in essence don't really give a rats ass about our platform. Yeah, they can knock off $20 or $30 off of something if we get together and purchase 15 sets of said widget but what are you really doing? You are selling out our tuners and suppliers plain and simple.

It amazes me that our tuners offer these things on a daily basis and nobody is purchasing them but when a group buy comes up for us to save $10, everybody wants one and is jumping overboard to get on the list.

Group buys should be limited to items that our tuners don't offer. Shirts and cupholders and radar detectors and rubber antennaes and datalogging cables and leatherseats. Not Intrax springs and things sold by our tuners. That is unless our tuners are offering group buys. Do you get my point? Don't sell out our brethren for $20. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Rich,
I'm not disagreeing w/ you, but is it "selling out on your own" if we buy say a starter from jagworks.com rather than a mitsubishi dealer? Yes, the dealer isn't the underdog here, but still.
Sometimes I agree, paying a bit more for excellent service would be worth it, but if I were to buy a gauge pod and a bunch of autometer gauges, I would prolly buy from summit or jegs purely on the fac tthat they have a much wider selection as well as a cheaper price.
Although if I were buying turbos or etc., I would definately go w/ for ex: DR over TEC. :)

-Joe

·
Damn Money Pit!!!
1,796 Posts
Holy crap this is kind of weird! What's going on??? BTW...pennies are pennies and I'm going to save every damn on of them!!! The tuners will get my money for sure, but not until time has come!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I am definitely not talking about :mitsu: here. Any way you can get around paying dealer prices for OEM parts should be taken advantage of with the quickness. I am talking about our tuners. If they don't collectively offer what you are looking for then by all means look elsewhere. But what about suggesting to our tuners to begin carrying these items? No guarantee that they would but run it by them. If one person has interest in something, there may be 100 people out there who want the same thing also but don't say anything.

Man this thread got all out of whack.:confused:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looks like the clock on the 3SI server is smoking crack or something.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Wow this thread is wacky...

Unfortunately, a buck is a buck. $5 here, $20 there, $10 later on... it adds up. You nickle and dime yourself poor. I really realized that when I started looking into buying a house.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
I do agree with the principle of supporting the tuners that contribute. They deserve the support, especially in this small community.

However, to alot of people a buck is a buck and they will always look to save one. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. In this situation though, I would ask these people to re-think about spending the money with a non-contributing person / shop / tuner that hasnt done anything to help the platform.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I think Richy makes an excellent point, when it comes to pennies, or dollars then spend the money here. But there are a lot of times when it's 10s of dollars or even 100s of dollars. It's hard to talk someone into spending an extra 100 for the exact same part.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Mark said:
It's hard to talk someone into spending an extra 100 for the exact same part.
How often does something like this happen? If you ask me, we as a community should take something like that and let our tuners know about it prior to going with the purchase. I don't see why they couldn't match it or at least come fairly close. At least give them the chance. I realize that selling parts is a tough market, especially in the internet age, and profit margins might just not be there for our tuners to offer something at a huge discount. All I am saying is to at least give them a chance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everybody,

We have posted a couple group buy's to give people a chance to get into an FJO wideband or a Nitrous Express kit. It gives us an opportunity to meet and talk to everyone about their needs/goals/modifications as well as tailor our company to better suit the needs of 3si owners.

We run several cars at the track, and never really feel like we're an outsider because we haven't sponsored a 3000GT yet. We are always there at the track to lend a helping hand to others no matter what kind of car they drive.

We will be building turbo kits for the 3000GT and Stealth shortly and hope to put down some big numbers utilizing some new turbo technology. This will give everyone one more alternative for upgrading their turbo system. As as purchaser, I've always preferred to have more sellers and products in the market. It brings prices down and provides everyone with more options.

I personally love AWD cars. I used to own one, and anytime the weather sucks around here, I wish I was driving one.

I wish all of you the best of luck this winter and next racing season.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
In the end....The customer's money is exactly that...The customer's. Being that, it is up to them to spend it the way they see fit. If they want to shop around and save the money they worked hard for, so be it. If that means he/she bought from summit instead of a 3s shop...Again, his/her money, they worked for it, they get to spend it. If they want to save money on parts...More power to them.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Want to throw my 2cents into this. I have done business with DR and 3SX and have been pleased with the service and support. I don't buy everything from them. I don't always buy based on price, but it is a consideration. If I have picked someone's brain for their recommendation on a part or package, I personally couldn't go and price shop after they helped me make the list. I may talk to more the one party about why I should buy their product instead of some other brand and use that to make a decision on what to buy. Or I may buy from company A intead of B because of better service, even if A has a higher price. Price, performance, and service are always considerations.

I recently bought the FJO wideband through the group buy from Horsepower Freaks, setup by BigBallerVR4. Even though they are not an established 300GT/Steath shop, they are racers. Some of you may remember the thread, "think Supra's never blow motors, take a look" http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99510&highlight=supra , that was Chris from Horsepower Freaks.

At the time I was planning on buying DR500's, RC 550's, and an HKS SAFR from DR around Thanksgiving to install around Christmas. Because of the group buy, I decided to buy the injectors and SAFR from Chris at the same time as the FJO. His prices were about the same as DR's. I decided that I would install the FJO and SAFR and get some baseline data on the stock parts. This was more of the convenience of one order rather than price shopping. Their service was great. I did have a question about the SAFR and Chris explained the function. I would highly recommend them when buying parts. Just another choice to have.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
When it comes to pennies and dollars, it's all about who can get it to me faster. However it has been my experiance that it's a few hundred dollors. My local dealer rips me off like you wouldn't beleive so I buy everthing from tallmits unless the cost plus shipping = local price. Same with tuners. While they have set the standards in 3s tuning some people just can't afford those price's. So I choice to support the guy thats a board member like smokinvr4 ,supermac, IPO and guys like that who make awsome and affordable products. I would also like to add that I have spent lots of $$ with german auto werks, dynamic, 3sx and even a little GT-pro. Those guys have the best 3s customer service out there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts