Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my vr-4 to the dealer to get my oil changed today since I was driving home for the break (don't have any tools at school to change the oil and I was about 100 miles overdue for an oil change)...seems simple enough, pretty hard to mess up on an oil change...drove about 160 miles home, as I hit the exit ramp, I noticed my oil pressure was extremely low (about 3 ticks driving) and as I put my clutch in, the oil light came on. I pulled over, immediately shut the car off, and called a tow truck. As I was waiting, I noticed a trail of oil, and looking under the car, i noticed a HUGE PUDDLE OF OIL UNDER THE ENGINE. I got the car home, and a couple of my friends helped me push the car up the driveway. I jacked it up, and noticed THE DAMN OIL DRAIN PLUG WAS MISSING!!!! I HAD NO ENGINE OIL!!! I'm pretty sure the plug was in place when I started my trip since I watched the oil gauge before I left...I suspect the plug fell off about 15 minutes before I pulled over (heard a little clanking sound, thought I just ran something over on the road). I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and possibly a lawyer...I did take pictures, but its going to be hard to prove that it was the dealers fault (there's no scratches on the oil pan, so I didn't hit anything that would cause the plug to fall off). Anyways, what kind of damage can I expect have done to my engine? I did not notice any unusual noises (i.e. knock) when I shut off the engine, and I have not turned the car on since. Also, I was hoping anyone who had undergone a similar situation could give me advice on how to proceed? This is bullshit, I planned on having my oil changed before I left and was planning on changing it when I got home anyways, now I wish I didn't go to the dealer. Well, any help is appreciated.

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,608 Posts
Hopefully you caught it in time. A friend of mine had an oil change done at Jiffy Lube and the same thing happened. They didn't tighten the plug. His engine burned up and Jiffy Lube had to replace it. Did you get the tow truck driver to witness the plug being missing, and the trail of oil? That may be all the proof you need.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get the tow truck driver to witness the plug missing but 3 friends...I got a bunhc of pics tho...the oil light came on and god knows how long i was driving with low oil pressure. thankfully I turned it off right when the light came on. Hopefully there's no damage at all

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
the dearlship i work at has had this happen to them before and the will in most cases try to make the customer as happay as possable

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
if they are a good dearlship they will do anything to make you happy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could anyone list potential engine damage that could happen due to driving with low oil pressure? I'm guessing at least a spun bearing (maybe not now but down the road)...the best case is I caught it in time and nothing happens, but what would be the worst case? Man...I can't believe this...the first and only time I bring my car to the dealer this kind of bs has to happen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts