Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official 3SI Mouth
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And no, it's not why you think.

So I'm coming back to my car yesterday morning at the outlet mall- spent some major money in the Sony store looking to make my girlfriend happy on Christmas day, and feeling pretty good about myself.

And then it happens.

I see a 80's Camaro, BRIGHT fooking orange, parked in two spaces in front of my car. So I think, "yay, ego problem". The kids in the car are sitting there, looking out the open windows, and the one in the drivers seat catches my eye.

He starts up the Camaro.

Start bad feeling.

I get within five feet of the car, hit the alarm button on the keyfob. The doors click.

He puts it in gear.
Backwards.

My car does a bounce step backwards, holding its ground to the quick bump. I yell "FUCKER", and he pops it in first, tearing out of the space. I scan the car for a license plate.

NO FUCKING PLATES!!

I open the door, throw in my bag, sit, belt door, clutch, ignite. And leave the space sideways in persuit.

My anger is throbbing as I blank run a red to keep on his ass out the parking lot. We cut through traffic to hop on the freeway. And I'm praying for traffic- cat and mouse is my game. Get me beside him, and I'll get him off the road.

But there's no traffic.

He immediately straddles the left lane, and marks it up to his max, a hair over 130. I pull alongside, looking for some sort of identifacation. Something that looks to be a temp tag in the left rear window, but I've no room to get to that side. I think of a pass, lead, and brake move, but I'm not interested in losing the rest of my car.

I've got my headlights and flashers on for attention. I've got plenty of gas. I'm ready for a endurance run. And there's traffic just a few thousand feet ahead, and gaining real fast. I'm starting to like my chances.

And then shithead two enters my life.

A state cop VISIBLY fearful of the situation pulls ever so slowly alongside me, as the Camaro is also slowing to start setting up for the traffic. I'm a legnth and a half back from the Camaro for safety's sake.

So what's the cop do?

Slides in between the two of us. And hits the brakes.

The goddamned brakes.

I pull over to the right and watch in anger as the Camaro fails to yeild, and walks away. And the Statey is content to brake and pull behind me, and jump out in a tizzy.

He comes up to my window, screaming "what the fuck do you think you're doing?!"

I'm above and WAY beyond the point of losing my composure. I exit my vehicle, and procede to state the facts-

"Up until you interjected yourself, I was doing a pretty goddamned good job of imitating what YOUR fucking job is supposed to be."

"What the hell do you mean?! Doing MY job?!"

"You're telline me, that you see an ORANGE automobile, a SPORTS CAR, doing in excess of 130 miles per hour, with another SPORTS CAR tailing, lights blinking, and you failed to notice that perpatrator number one DOESN'T HAVE A LICENSE PLATE?!"

"...no..."

"He hit my goddamned car, and I wasn't about to let him get away, until YOU did if FOR HIM."

"get back in your vehicle, sir, I'll be right with you..."

And so it goes. I don't get back in my car, I check to see what was done to my front end. Some scratching along the right side, above the fog lamp duct. Nothing REALLY horrible, but now I'm stuck footing the bill.

Between that, and the fact I'm prolly about to get arrested.

And so the cop comes back, and attempts to give me a lecture on about how he "could" arrest me and take my license, and how he "could" give me a ticket. And I rebuke with the obvious- he certainly failed in doing his job, by nabbing one and not attempting for the other. And I'm left in wonderment as to what the hell is going on as he attempts an apology on that fact, which, while an amusing gesture at this point, does me no good as to getting my car repaired. And then, I'm really thinking I'm going nuts as he lets me go.

What I didn't know until I got home and called the police a while later was this- two similar reports of the same car, doing the same kind of act to similarly nice cars. Some prick kid who gets kicks by trashing hard earned property.

Whatever happened to the arcade?

Hit and run number two for this car, and I'm not interested in number three. All I can hope for now is that the authorities catch this commedian, and that I get the chance to put the repair tab on him.

I apologize about the legnth, and that it seems much ado about only somewhat minor damage. But I think you all know what I mean.

And my heart goes out to all of you who's prides have been damaged of late, know that we're all in this togather.

Kenneth

[This message has been edited by Kenneth Ellis (edited December 15, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Very sad, and infuriating. Life isn't fair sometimes, but what goes around eventually comes around.
I think the fact that it was a camaro, is somewhat irrelevant, since I don't think it reflects on the average (alright, very average) camaro driver. Kind of crazy really, if you were going to go on a rampage, would you pick something as recognizable as a bright orange camaro? You may have been lucky you didn't catch him, this guy could have been REALLY deranged.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited December 15, 1999).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
Kenneth, Sorry to hear about your Loss. Some (read 99%) of the Donut Loving people just are A$$shole$. Some ppl are just out there to get ppl with nice stuff coz they just jealous because they themselves can't afford shit. I hope they arrest those fuckers and make them pay the repair bill. Good Luck.

Raja
94 Vr4

·
Registered
293 Posts
The same thing happened to me in my 96 Jimmy, though not to that extent. The guy made a right turn on red at the last second when I was going straight...he was in an old and rusty 5.0. I swerved and ALMOST missed him. He clipped the side of my car, and kepped going! The entrance ramp for the highway was right up ahead and he got on and floored it. I never got close enough to see the license plate. I kept flooring it, but the speed delimiter is 90mph so I didn't have a chance. In your case, I would be more angry, since you could have easily caught him if not for the cops. You think they would persue the guy that doesn't slow down. I am really sorry for you though. It seems that are cars are collision magnets (whether on purpose or accident).

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I had an experience that fortunately did not involve damage to me or my vehicle but could have been pretty nasty. I had my Hurst Olds and was cut off at a light. I got an open lane and passed the mf in his 5.0 and cut him off. He started tailing me and pulled alongside at a light. I was ready to get out and start fighting if I had to--but he was hanging out his driver window with a pistol waving it at me. I promptly stood on the accelerator and went sideways through a red light and did not let off for about a mile. His girlfriend was pleading with him to get the gun back in the car at the light but he was totally crazy with anger! You never know what these deranged indiv. are capable of. You prob work hard for your $$ and have alot to lose if you did something stupid and had to pay the penalties. We forget that some people have nothing to lose with arrest or an illegal act and do as they please without regard for others or themselves. I know how angry you felt, but the cop may have saved your life even if he pulled over the wrong guy! I do not live in Texas or Virginia or... where people carry guns like Wyatt Erp (sp?), so a gun may not be a big deal for you. I live in New Jersey and only two people have guns-cops/detectives legally, and criminals and crazies, illegally.

Sam 95 VR4

B

·
0 Posts
That friggin' sucks, dude. I'm sure you would have beat that kid to a pulp if you had caught him. I know I would have (although I'm not proud to say that ....

What's up with this Jap car vs. Domestic car shit anyway?

Just the other day, this punk redneck kid pulls up along side me at a red light in his Mustand GT (I'm in my VR-4 minding my own business). I didn't even look over his way, but apparently he glances over my way, gets pissed at my car, and guns it. All I heard was screeching tires and saw a big cloud of smoke that choked the whole street! What an a$$hole! I look over and he has this look on his face of complete and utter disgust for me and my ride.

I didn't even get into it with him because I didn't feel like flat embarrassing him and his trampy girlfriend in the passenger seat. What a psycho!!!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
> and only two people have guns-cops/detectives legally, and
criminals and crazies, illegally.

Yeah, god help us if we non-criminals also had guns. Why, we might actually defend ourselves from *both* of those groups.

Kenneth, past experience with cops tells me that this will probably come to nothing, but it may be possible to have the cops trace any orange 19?? camaros that were operating on trip permits on that day, rather than proper plates. Given what can only be the handful of them out there, if you can identify the driver or the car, see if that does you any good in tracking the guy and getting remuneration.

J

·
0 Posts
I know how you feel. You spend your hard earned money and some ass-face who is jealous because he can't have your car, probably because he won't work, trashes your car. Before I had my VR-4 I had a 93 Stealth. That car was keyed three times in my apartment parking lot, which had gated access. So asshole who lived there was mad because he didn't have a nice car. Actually, I was moving across the complex into a bigger apartment, loaded the truck, went across to the new one, and the asshole came out and keyed it between runs!! Never figured out who it was, and if I had, he would have been a bloody gurgling pile of flesh after I was done. Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear about those kids doing that. Keep your eyes and ears peeled, they'll catch them. An orange camaro isn't very difficult to spot.

·
Official 3SI Mouth
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I don't mean to show real hostility against the Camaro crowd, nor do I recognize this shithead as the average owner. But I also recognize that to prove your angst, and, in part, your appreciation of their car, you race it, you don't beat the hell out of it.

From speaking with the police further, the car is believed to be stolen. The incidents have all come within the last five days. I have a feeling I might have a chance at getting retribution for my losses, cause who in the hell is stupid enough to steal a ORANGE car and keep it for a week and pull this kind of outrageousness.

You guessed it, a bloomin' idiot.

Sounds like an employee at the local Outback. (and I LOVE the Outback, been to a bunch, but the Swansea one just don't cut it..)

And I also agree with the criminal/non-criminal jive- imagine me stopping him, and getting shot. All he'd have to do is say I was the one with the problem... kinda like these soccer moms down south.

Just another monument to what things are coming to these days.

Kenneth

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well, I feel your pain Kenneth. Being in a state that has legally concealed gun laws I think I would have ended up in jail wondering "what the hell did i just do?" We all have door dings in our car from people that we will never see! You just had the unfortunate opprotunity of seeing who hit your car but, at the same time you aren't the only one victomized by these two clowns. Let it go it's just paint. In the meantime bug the shit out of the "Local Yokals" until they catch those bastords. Just so you know, I would have reacted the same way.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Door dings and other small hit and runs are very frustrating, but at least in that case you assume it was ACCIDENTAL and the person was just too gutless to own up to what they did and leave a note on the windshield. I know how hard it is because I tapped someone's car once and COULD have gotten away with it but left a note and worked it out with the owner. I was on the other side once as I found a nice big patch of red paint on my Talon's bumper once with no note. Not fun.

This situation is on an ENTIRELY different level. First off, it was INTENTIONAL! I had my car keyed once and it is not pleasant at all. At least in my case someone witnessed it and called the cops so they caught the bastard and he had to pay for it.

Not only was this INTENTIONAL, but it was done right in front of Kenneth in order to PROVOKE him. Most gutless vandals would do this when no one is looking but these guys were very brazen.

It blows my mind that someone would do such a thing Kenneth but all in all, you are probably better off the way things turned out. Those guys were obviously trying to provoke you and obviously didn't care about the condition of their stolen car. They could have been trying to provoke you into a potentially deadly game of demolition derby and wouldn't have thought twice about running you off the road. Your safety is more important than revenge.

On the other hand, say you did catch them and give them the beating they deserved. You would then have an assault charge to go with your scratched paint. I know its no consolation, but you are better off just fixing the car yourself and try to forget about it. Nothing you can do now. Sorry this had to happen to one of our own.

Take care,

Mike

A

·
0 Posts
<font face="verdana,arial" color=#000000>Kenneth<font color=#300050> - I feel for you, man. The first week I had my T/A someone in a white car threw their door into the side of my rear quarter panel. I'm good at parking well enough within my space so I know I had allowed the freak enough room to get in and out of his/her car. But sure enough, there was a 3" white mark in my black paint AND a dent to boot, chipped the paint near the wheel well.

This is minor in comparison to what you experienced, imo. I know my temper and I could see myself diving in through that guy's open window, rending flesh. Needless to say, if I see an orange 80's Camaro sitting near my car I'm going to dart right for them in preparation.

This isn't about competition between domestic and foreign car owners. This issue is all about stupidity and lack of reasoning. Just last night I saw something similar on 60 Minutes about an anarchist group in Eugene, OR. and their role in the WTO protests. I sat there and listened to these kids who at least had "reasons" (albeit half assed no good reasons (again, imo))for smashing up businesses like Starbucks and grocery stores. I read between the lines and what I got out of it was they were envious, and their reaction was that of violence. So they're against the government and hate laws? Does Starbucks establish the laws that they hate (yet the laws protect their rights as citizens)?

Wow. Talk about a tangent. Sorry. Anyway, the kids could be doing this for a number of reasons. Why they choose expensive cars as opposed to the Yugo just down the way, or maybe the large van with the handicap license plates can be guessed. I mean, it's not likely a handicapped person in a van can chase them down, right? Why not pick on someone who can't fight back? The 3000GT can run with them, that was evident. Why did they even risk it? My guess is that they don't have nice belongings so they're going to go out of their way to ensure no one may enjoy theirs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That is complete bullshit. Call the police station every week or so asking if they have caught the bastard. WTF is wrong with someone who would do that for FUN?

Gee what is there to do? Maybe I could take my plates off (or use my stolen car) and park by a nice car. Wait for a long ass time until he comes out and turns his alarm off, then I can run into it! That sounds like fun.

Im pissed off for you man... Every time i hear shit like that, it just blows my mind. My stealth was keyed when they previous owner had it. She was a teacher and one of her students keyed it. Now I have a shitty, dull paint job(know of any fixes?). I don't hate anyone enough to pull some shit like that, let alone a perfect stranger.

Let us know if you find out that he is caught...

H

·
0 Posts
I recently returned to my car after a trip into the local WAL-MART, and discovered that some A-HOLE had sliced the lower window seals, BOTH SIDES from front to back.
Now i will have to shell out the $$ for replacements.
JEALOUSEY SUCKS!!
VANDALISM SUCKS!!
JEALOUS VANDALS REALLY SUCK!!!!
I hope you catch those punks!!
HOWIE RD95SL

A

·
0 Posts
This sort of thing has happened to me, too. My Stealth has been repainted six times due to the fact that someone continues to douse my car in furniture stripper every time they see it parked. This shit eats the paint right off and melts the plastic lenses. In fact, once while it was being repainted, I was using my talon and that got it too! Just a couple weeks ago, while parked in my yard, the Stealth had its drivers side door kicked in. And I haven't even owned the car for 3 years yet!

Abe

·
Registered
208 Posts
Holy smokes, Abe! Where the hell do you live?
In Newark, NJ/ the Bronx? It's gotta be someone who knows you from the past - holds some kind of grudge. If not, you need to to either move or put that car in the garage & get a beater! You might even want to PURPOSELY park the car where it gets vandalized & maybe hire someone to watch it -unmarked car, etc. to catch the
bastard(s). Also, Everybody keep an eye out for that orange camaro. Follow the bastard home & collect your compensation THERE, one way or the other, so no one can see. Look for a nice car that HE owns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts