Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 3 places within 20 miles of my house that will run TRUE DUAL exsuast from the o2 housings to the rear of the car, using 2 1/2" piping, and weld-in ANY muffler(s) I want for well under $300 ( closer to $200 ). SO, why would I want to spend:
$300+ on a DP
$500 on a borla cat-back
$100 on a test-pipe

I reallize that the quality will be different, but the custom job will make more power, and cost under 1/3 as much. I live in Florida so I never worry about salt when it snows ( b/c it doesn't snow). Even if I had to replace the entire system once every 3 years, it would still be a better deal to have a custom muffler shop do it.

Maybe I'm missing something, can someone fill me in...

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts for our cars are 3 inch piping, and is also mandrel bent. Also, many downpipes will eliminate the catalytic converter, and in the case of the Stillen, it also eliminates the front precat as well. A muffler shop is not going to make you an exhaust that eliminates these because it's illegal. If you want a cheaper custom exhaust, I'd only get a catback made. Then go with a tried and true downpipe. It will be much easier. Plus, there is no need for a true dual exhaust on our cars, they are 3 liter engines. Only in a case of a monster car, like Matt Monett's or such, could I even begin to see the need for true dual. He ran his 10 sec runs using a single exhaust pipe which many of us have, then the ATR single shot catback. That system is good to flow probably 800 or so horsepower, and it weighs a helluva lot less than a dual exhaust would.

·
Spyder VR4
178 Posts
reasons not to get custom shit

I would rather save up and get the good shit. A lot of testing goes into these products before they are sold. I have seen many cars that put custom exhaust on there cars and it actually makes less horsepower on the dyno. plus what would you do if you got custom exhaust and it sounded like shit. I have heard a few peoples custom exhausts and most of them sounded good, but it still could happen. Like UTRacerX9 said, it is pointless to get true dual exhaust all the way back that would weigh so much more and knowing what the underside of a 3s looks like I have no idea where you would try and hide the pipes, there isnt a lot of room under there to hide anything.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
ttawd3s said:
but the custom job will make more power,
Where did that fact came from??
Are you talking about custom mendrel bend exhaust??

·
Jordan
3,032 Posts
yea,.. where did you get the more power information? I'm going with the Borla exhaust here (ordering tomarrow) or possibly the hks drager. I HAVE TO Decide sOoN! i went to an exhaust shop and he oped for me to do buy from a pre-made one like borla or hks. So i decided i should. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine came from Japan with a 4" end to end single pipe system, complete with new catalytic converter and HKS Super Drager muffler

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Part of the reason why the aftermarket exhausts are more expensive is that they are stainless steel in comparison to bent steel tubes. They are mandrel bends so are smoother than most muffler shops can make, and most (but not all) have 3 inch diameter piping. (the Borla does)

While I don't doubt a custom exhaust will perform close to a tuner exhaust and at a cheaper price, it is doubtful that it will be mandrel bends or stainless steel. I got my Borla for the good looks as well as the sound. Now my entire exhaust system is stainless steel and will likely never go bad here in Florida.

Kujax: get the borla, it has the dual tips, the drager only has one I believe. You'll like the performance of the Borla, I would call borla if I were you and ask for the cones for to limit the resonation just in case you find the drone to be too much. I'm still getting used to the sound of mine, I don't find it to be too noisy or too loud, it has a much deeper tone now, that does resonate while driving 80 or 85 on the interstate for a while, but I think any aftermarket exhaust will do the same.
My borla by the way went on with no problems whatsoever.

Lord Warlock

·
Formerlly Ps933kgt
6,968 Posts
Ive decided to just go with a cutout....the one from the group buy. And then getting a downpipe. I think this would be the best way to get the most free flowing exhaust if you are more concerned with performance than sound and look ( although i like the way the quad looking exhaust looks on our cars stock)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't get me wrong, if someone said,"HEY, free borla exhaust" I'd be there in a second, I've never heard one on a 3S, but I heard one on a Z-28 and it was SWEET !!! But, keeping $500 in my pocket, sounds a lot sweeter...

Which exhaust "Looks" better is no concern to me. I think the stock exhaust looks better than just about anything...

With a turbo car the more your exhaust flows the better your response will be, and the more power you'll make, end of story. There is no, borla spent $1,000,000 on dyno tuning this exhaust. If these cars were N/A, no prob. I understand the concept of back presure. An open dump-pipe will make more power than dual 2 1/2'' exhaust b/c it lets exhaust out better. You can't really believe that ONE 3'' pipe is going to let exhaust out better than TWO 2 1/2'' pipes. If you spent $1,000 on your exhaust already, and I'm making you second guess your choice, then sorry.

I've seen the underside of my stealth many times. If you can get the heads off, without getting under the car, your the MAN, B/C I couldn't... I don't paln on ANY cats or mufflers, so that will help with fitting the pipes.

GOOD POINT about dual exhaust = the weight of the system ! Hopefully the missing cats and mufflers will off-set the extra weight from having more piping.

$500+ for a tuned exhaust on a N/A car = ....maybe.........
$500+ for an exhaust that needs NO tuning, and just needs to flow like a mother = NO WAY
If I HAD to buy one, I would pick borla, not civic fart pipes from HKS... ( sorry HKS exhaust owners, there just too hondaishh ).

ONE more thing, how much is there to be gained in replacing the O2 housings ?? My stock ones look like crap, and I'm sure they flow like crap too. 5HP, 20HP, or just less lag ?

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, that helped with the desision.. Was pretty set on doing it anyway, but dual exhaust with mufflers is 22LBS. lighter than stock. Imagine with no mufflers... My car may lose 30-40 LBS.

If you've ever driven in a 5.0 mustang with full exhaust, NOW THATS loud and annoying !!!! TURBOS = mufflers ( more or less), until they spool, then they scream ( which is fine with me !!! ).

·
Registered
112 Posts
ttawd3s said:
Thanks, that helped with the desision.. Was pretty set on doing it anyway, but dual exhaust with mufflers is 22LBS. lighter than stock. Imagine with no mufflers... My car may lose 30-40 LBS.

If you've ever driven in a 5.0 mustang with full exhaust, NOW THATS loud and annoying !!!! TURBOS = mufflers ( more or less), until they spool, then they scream ( which is fine with me !!! ).

how much do the stock exhuast weight? also how much would it weight after putting on a single piping exhuast? ive seen some vr4s with singles. is it better? then same? or worst..

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
921 Posts
Go for it. That's what I planned to do w/ my exhaust. If you can find a shop that can mandrel bend the piping, that would be better. Aftermarket O2 housings are really expensive, but could likely be made by a decent welder. What kind of piping will you have to equalize the pressure between banks?

·
Formerlly Ps933kgt
6,968 Posts
mrsunshine said:
so what is the best way to go? got a little lost here, would it be better to just go with the cut out? is it that y pipe shaped thingy?
if you are looking for performance on a tt car..... go cutout

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the idea of a cut-out, but not the idea of having to get out of my car to activate it... My friends dad has one on his Buick Grandnational, it has a T-72 turbo, we're supposed to be swapping in the new block in the next week. After 300 break-in miles, we can turn the boost up, 750-800HP 3.8L V6...

·
Spyder VR4
178 Posts
ttawd3s said:
I like the idea of a cut-out, but not the idea of having to get out of my car to activate it...
they make exhaust cutouts for a few hundred dollars that are either electronically controled or have something you can pull or push in to activate them

·
Formerlly Ps933kgt
6,968 Posts
there is a link if you do a searh on this board for exhaust cutout group buy that has the flap that you can use by the touch of a button on the inside of the car to up and close it. Just weld that to a y pipe onto your exhaust and there you go :)

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Dan'sVR4 tried to do a group buy on the cutouts, he has one in his car, so you may want to ask him about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.