Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't get what it is. I checked out that Popular Mechanics page for the 13 fastest cars or whatever where the 3000GT came in 10th... What is it that makes our cars so heavy? I mean come on now, 3800 lbs, sometimes more?! Even a Dodge Viper (3300) and a few others with much bigger engines and stuff weigh in around 3100 lbs. Maybe someone can shed some light for me. It just seems that most sports cars are in the 3000-3500 pound range, yet we are heavier than 99% of those out there. It just seems to me that if Mitsubishi shaved off 500 pounds and got us down to where these other cars are in weight that we would do much better. I mean hell, if we are 10th with the weight being 3800 lbs, imagine it at like 3300? Shoot me some input guys!

[This message has been edited by Immortality (edited December 09, 1999).]

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
AWD, AWS, ECS, tunable exhaust, huge glass sunroof, fully loaded luxury items. Not to mention those 2 extra seats in the back.

I too wish they were lighter but, I sure like all those bells and whistles.

Steve

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have recently taken some quick and minor steps to take off 100 lbs. which anyone can do quickly. I found that the bar that sets across the rear hatch area (the one that holds the leather cover) is unusually heavy, like 15lbs or so. That combined with the spare tire (35 lbs), jack and related equipment (10 lbs), and rear seats (45 lbs) all add up. Now if I can just get a carbon fiber hood, that will also shed some 55lbs. Add seats and wheels and you could be down to the low 3500's, almost 300 lbs less which should translate to about .25 less in the quarter and about .10 in zero to 60, which is A LOT in racing times.

I have also noticed that when working on the car, everything seems to be unusually heavy. Even the headlights (on 94+ models) seem to weigh close to 20 lbs. each. Brian of GTPro has also commented that much of what is in the engine bay is useless crap that he normally takes out when he does a rebuild. I tend to believe him simply by glimpsing at all of the crap under the hood. It's not much but I'll bet there's at least 5 to 10 lbs of stuff under our hoods that we don't even need. Of course I wouldn't advise anyone to start chopping away at electrical cords under their hoods but I'm sure there is some stuff that we don't really need.

Matt

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even without AWD, AWS and stuff the car still outweighs like most every other car. The two back seats only weigh like 10-15 lbs max, and I'm sure the luxury items we have are found in most of the other cars in question as well. There must be something else... Has anyone attempted to reduce the weight of their 3000GT or Stealth?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, most of the weight IS from the AWD system. If you compare the weight of the 3000GT base and SL, Stealth Base, ES or RT (NA) with other cars in there classes, they are all about the same. I believe the ES is LIGHTER than the 300ZX NA, for example (but not by much). I think it's probably a safe bet that the AWD systems adds about 400 lbs by itself, and some of the other items add and extra 100 lbs over that.

If you have a VR-4 or RT/TT, for kicks, pull out the drivers seat sometime. I would guess it's weight is between 50-70 pounds. If the passenger side seat is anywhere near that, think of the weight you'ld save by replacing them with some light weight seats. I would guess that by making some reasonable changes to the car, you could probably get the weight down to about 3500 lbs, which really isn't that bad for an AWD car. Hell, the AWD Carrera 4's come in at just under 3300lbs.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have an SL... I didn't know that there was a 400 lb difference between the base and SL models vs the VR-4... I knew it was heavier but not by that much. So if the VR-4 is around 3800 the SL is close to 3400?

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
The SLs now weigh in at 3319lbs. take into account that it has lost some 50-100 or so lbs worth of ECS through the years, and tuneable exhaust. Also the Leather Seats are heavy as heck compared to the cloth. I don't know the exact differece. Oh, I think ABS also adds some weight. I have never really been a fan of Anti-lock brakes.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT Base

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Just between a hood and a battery that is about a hundred pounds of front end weight.
Pull the stock wheels and you get some massive benefits... Active aero and tuned exhaust, (not that I have to worry about active aero) also if you are like me, I don't use the windshield wiper fluid, so use those for something better, and look about lighter ic lines, radiator, and headlights. Good luck...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Power leather seat is around the 100 lb mark if memory serves correct.

There's over 100 lbs in noise and vibration dampening padding inside. (That's why riding in other "performance" cars can often seem to feel a lot "cheaper" than a 3/S turbo, e.g. RX7)

The cars are huge, physically.

700 HP capable tranny with 100 HP capable synchros and splines.

We gots heavy wheels.

AWS (rear CV joints, hydraulics etc) I think has some weight to it...

Rock solid frame.

world's best 3 litre Iron block/aluminum head engine (viper's is all aluminum I think) =>

Add it all up you got a car that hangs with the supercars and can get you to work in the winter, will also survive a collision with anything smaller than the moon and will cut a honda clean in half.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts