Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses 550cc's and uses either Apex-i AFC or HKS Super AFR?

I know these are only good for 50% +- and that is only good up to 540cc, but that seems close enuf...

Is it close enuf?

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you're going with bigger injectors and actually WANT one of those add-one fuel computers, your best bet is going with a VPC and S-AFC. VPC will suck in a lot more air than an AFC or ARC and the S-AFC can do most of the fine tuning that the VPC cannot.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Pony Killer said:
VPC will suck in a lot more air than an AFC or ARC ...
Really. How is that? Have you measured this or just dreaming? :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone actually using 550cc with either HKS Super AFR or Apex-i SAFC? Please give me your experiences with this setup!

·
Registered
261 Posts
what you mean you want yours gone??

if you are talking about getting rid of your VPC, then please put me on the top of the interested list.
i for one am planning on running a vpc, blitz 660cc injectors, and probably a skyline fuel pump(buddy in japan:D )

would i need anything else though?

sorry for the kinda off topic, but since we were on the topic of fuel and controlling it in our cars, thought i would ask too.

cheers,

·
Dirty American Devil
420 Posts
I know these are only good for 50% +- and that is only good up to 540cc, but that seems close enuf...
So, wouldn't this leave you a little rich on top of our already running rich by default nature? I thought there was power to be gained by leaning out even with the default 360cc's. I would think all the added fuel would really cut down on your power.
Does anyone have before and after dyno numbers going from using 550cc's with just an S-AFC to using one of the more advanced solutions that lets you tune the air-fuel to the max HP level?

Ian

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
This may be a retard question as I have no idea, but is it necessary to get those fuel computers when you put in bigger injectors? Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm using RC Engineering 550cc's and an upgraded fuel pump with an HKS AFR. Mine runs a bit on the the rich side to be safe. I'm not sure why they say the AFR can not effectively control 550cc's.

According to my A/F guages, the AFR is pretty precise when richening or leaning out the mixture.

Not saying AFR is better than a VPC or ARCII, but the AFR alone is doing more than decent job of controlling my fuel system.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Use this MAS replacement in conjunction with a SAFC for injectors up to 660s or possibly 720s.

http://teamrip.com/afcMASC.html

There was a long thread about this a few days ago but the damn search function <i>swears</i> it doesn't exist!

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
I think we have added a new dimension to fuel control...the TeamRip unit looks sweet and easy for fuel idiots like me = plug and dial in your injectors. I'm sure it can be used on 3S cars from what the info says, after all, we are essentially DSM. Any comments?

·
Registered
832 Posts
sounds good to me. just a couple questions though. looking at the out let, this would not fit on our cars would it? would we have to do some conversion to make it fit? could we run it with 550's or bigger injectors even without a fuel computer? From what it says, it should be pretty accurate without one, or would the stock fuel computer even comprehend that much airflow and be able to control the injectors?

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
Kinda reminds me of a mini-ARC2, cept with smaller 78mm MAS.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Yes, Jon Ripple is a very reliable and known DSM tuner. You should have seen his 1.6 liter 89 Mirage turbo that outran C5's! Also, I made his website :)

The kit is designed for 1g DSMs. The wiring requires some adapation to work with ours - just rearranging, nothing weird. If there is enough demand, Jon may be interested in making an adaptor plate for our cars and maybe even a separate model for us with different values in the DIP switches.

I'm firing off an email now!

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
That would be great! Hans and I were chatting about how the 2nd-gen DSM MAS is the same as non-turbo 3S, or at least similar. I can see how it would be easy to get this to work on a 3S, and I'd like something to tune with my 450cc's. See what he can do John M :D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would be interested in the afcMASC if we can be certain that it would be a straightforward and workable solution with our cars (in my case a 1994 VR4). It would appear that if you had a upgraded fuel pump and then upgraded the injectors (to one of the acceptable sizes, I'm only looking to go 550's) that you could add the afcMASC plus a fuel controller such as the HKS S-AFR and have a very workable system. For those of us that aren't looking for the absolute limit on the power side this could be both a cheaper and an easier solution.

Reading the afcMASC data I would want to see exactly how it would install on our cars and have the manufacturer confirm that they recommend its use.

Otherwise I'll probably end up sticking with my plans to go the ARC II route.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
832 Posts
if you had 550 injectors and an SAFC, how much would this thing help on top of it all? What extra would it do? Sorry for my stupidity, but this is one of my least knowledgeable areas.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts