Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Should I take the spare out?

• Yes, I've done it, I highly recommed you do it too.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, I've done it, it sucks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I think it would be a good ideal.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No, you will need that spare

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a really awsome sound system and thought that I was done, but I was wrong. The problem is that I had left the spare in and now have no more rooom to use. I was thinking about takeing it out since it would take half an hour to get it out now, if I wanted to if I ever got a flat.
I am sure that many of you have done this or at least thought about it so what are your thought. Let me know what you decided and why even if it wasn't for a sound system.

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
If it's in the way of your soundsystem
I would remove it.

I removed mine the day I made my first ever
run at the drag strip.:) Has'nt been
installed since.:cool:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Lui Kang,

Get rid of the spare and carry around some fix a flat and an air pump. You could also use this cool stuff called green slime that goes into the tire and will fill in a puncture in the tread. Hopefully, you don't get any type of punctures or slashes in the sidewall, then you will wish you had that spare.;) See you at the gathering on Sat.???

·
Eat strawberries
855 Posts
I took out the spare and cut that metal around the fuel vent to get some more room. Hey if you get a flat, that why we all got AAA. UGGGHHHH....who wants to have 3 really nice 18 inch cromies and a 125/75r16 donut on their car.

·
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that I will be able to make it to any geatherings this year. I am trying to make enought money to fix that huge dent on my dirvers side.
Now, back to the subject on hand, I thought that the fix a flat didn't work on anthing larger than 16 rims and stuff. Has anyone tried it on a 17 or larger rim before?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Yeah it works great, but I wouldn't suggest running with it in your tires all the time, only in an emergency. Even though it is supposed to be non-explosive, it still has the ability to mess up the equipment for the guys who change your tire, or it can get in their eyes. Remember, if you do use fixaflat, tell whoever is working on your tire about it.
I have a can in my car, but I luckily haven't had to use it, I also keep around a set of tar plugs and a plug kit, it takes up a lot less room than the fix a flat and is a permanant fix, all you have to do is find the hole, clean it with alcohol and the rasp, put in the cement compound (also slightly melts rubber), shove in a plug, wait five minutes (about the time it takes to put the tire on and drop the car with those crummy jacks and t-bars) and fill up your tire.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Many places wont patch a tire with that fix-a-flat stuff in it.

another thing is if you have 18 inch rims and put a spare on your car wouldnt that fuck your transfer/Differential/Transmission up anyway?

-Jeff

·
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually it shouldn't. The reason is that the height of the tire should be the same. It's kinda like the second gen TT have 18s but still come with a spare. The height of the tire is taller. you shouldn't keep a spare on for that long anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts