Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a low whining/squealing noise while in gear decelerating that sounds like it's coming from the drive train. Cannot be heard in neutral or accelerating.

When I'm driving during rain the noise goes away so somehow water must be fixing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A “whirring” noise while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload. A “howl or whine” during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by a worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys,

just a few clarifications, it's not a "whirring" but a low "squealing" noise

Is the transfer case fluid separate from the transmission ?

Also, why would water (driving while it's raining) make this noise go away ?

·
Registered
1991 VR4
843 Posts
I have a low whining/squealing noise while in gear decelerating that sounds like it's coming from the drive train. Cannot be heard in neutral or accelerating.

When I'm driving during rain the noise goes away so somehow water must be fixing it.
Well, based on the rain impact, start by checking things that can get wet... driveshaft and carriers, axles, brakes, etc.

Is it 100% repeatable when its dry and you are under decel? If so, a rather archaic but possibly effective method to isolate would be to drive the car, confirm noise is there, then start spraying off one component at a time. In other words, drive the car to confirm noise, then hop out and completely spray down one corner (brakes, axle, etc), then drive again and see if any change. Repeat for all 4 corners then do driveshaft, etc.

Yes transfer case has its own fluid, and only a small quantity, so a leak can quickly be a big problem.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I have a similar noise coming from my car. I thought it was coming from the rear diff but now it ended up coming from within the transmission itself. Still diagnosing the issue so hopefully I figure it out soon.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
843 Posts
I have a similar noise come from my car. I thought it was coming from the rear diff but now it ended up coming from within the transmission itself. Still diagnosing the issue so hopefully I figure it out soon.
Well i think it goes without saying, OP should check all drivetrain fluids as the first step lol. Hopefully he already did that.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Well i think it goes without saying, OP should check all drivetrain fluids as the first step lol. Hopefully he already did that.
Agreed. Fluid should be the first step (and cheapest).

·
Registered
1991 VR4
843 Posts
And don't forget they were recalled for the transfer case seal leaks. One of the things that keeps me up at night with pointless worry.
I have receipts from around 2002 when the PO of my car had the T-case lock up on the highway. It was pretty catastrophic, bent valves and everything because the timing belt jumped.

So yeah, check the fluid

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
I have receipts from around 2002 when the PO of my car had the T-case lock up on the highway. It was pretty catastrophic, bent valves and everything because the timing belt jumped.

So yeah, check the fluid
Yeah, it's hard to comprehend that the lucky ones are the ones the blow the T/case to shrapnel and run over the parts, but that seems to be the case...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to comprehend that the lucky ones are the ones the blow the T/case to shrapnel and run over the parts, but that seems to be the case...
Just goes to show that we're driving supercars which need more care than a Corolla. At least it's cheaper to maintain than an AMG or one of those F cars.

Me, I don't mind - I like the connection to the mechanical being lurking like a caged animal in my garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts