Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm replacing the gaskets that sit between the turbo drain line and oil pan. one side of the gasket seems to have a shiny side with a very thin o ring, the other side looks like paper. i've attached a photo of two gaskets so you can see both sides. anyone know if it matters which side of the gasket faces the oil pan?

Attachments

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, cool. I'm going to use a light skim of RTV this time around including the bolts themselves.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
They put the o-ring on for a reason...the oring appears to be temperature activated. I would put o-ring towards pan, but thats just me. I don't think I've ever seen this discussed before, but I've often wondered the same.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
ok, cool. I'm going to use a light skim of RTV this time around including the bolts themselves.
If you don't know, the bolts are special. They use a captive aluminum washer to seal the bolt to drain flange connection. They are also one time use (although Ive used them 2-3 times without issue). No sealant needed if washers are not too deformed.

17,264 Posts
They put the o-ring on for a reason...the oring appears to be temperature activated. I would put o-ring towards pan, but thats just me. I don't think I've ever seen this discussed before, but I've often wondered the same.
I have always done that as well as the chra is much flatter.

I still use rtv or it always seeps at the pan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,003 Posts
+2 for ring toward the pan and liberal amount of RTV

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Doc
1,452 Posts
Use copper gasket sealant spray, NOT RTV.. it works better with zero of the risks of RTV.

MSN, RN, FNP-BC, 66H

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't know, the bolts are special. They use a captive aluminum washer to seal the bolt to drain flange connection. They are also one time use (although Ive used them 2-3 times without issue). No sealant needed if washers are not too deformed.
hmmm, I actually wonder if it's the bolt that is the spot where it's leaking. I have some tiny copper washers I can use, I can also put some rtv on the threads.

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use copper gasket sealant spray, NOT RTV.. it works better with zero of the risks of RTV.

MSN, RN, FNP-BC, 66H
I think I actually have some of that copper spray that i bought many years ago. I forgot why I bought it. lol

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn't find the copper spray so i used a film of rtv on the gasket and threads. I will refill the oilpan tomorrow i check for leaks. I have to pull the oil pan in a couple years so i will replace the gaskets again anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts