Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also, what is the best door speaker?
My passenger one, sounds like noise coming from a sleeping bag.

Done, a search, just wanted extra thoughts from the board.

My door panels are off, ready and raring to go.
I could put them back on, but the plastic pieces seem to break the more you take them on and off.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Almost any 6.5 inch speaker will fit in the front mounts. I've got a set of inexpensive kenwoods that sound much better than stock, but probably don't rate when compared to MB Quart or other high end speaker. My caveat....they only cost me 65 bucks a set from crutchfield and crutchfield sent adapter rings that made mounting them a cinch.

Lord Warlock

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L.W.

Did you get the Kenwoods because your others blew up, or to improve quality, or both.

And how does the sound compare with the stockers?
Everything in my system is stock except the tweets (JBL 220's)

I also read, (from one post) the Adaptors were "crap"... that's a quote. I guess he felt they were too thin.

What's your experience?

Thanks, in advance,

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Did you get the Kenwoods because your others blew up, or to improve quality, or both.
A little of both actually. I originally decided to get a new head unit to replace the factory CD deck which was working but wasn't very forgiving with abused cds, it loved new ones and played them well but it occasionally skipped on hard bumps and would't play home made cd's. Picked out a Kenwood 727 receiver, 45Wx4 and knew that if I got a deck I'd have to do speakers as well, and chose the cheapest kenwoods that would fit in the car, thinking a cheap kenwood was twice as good as the factory unit, and it sounded pretty decent with no amps or special equipment.

The new setup plays a little louder than stock did, and rear bass is ok, won't win any awards but plays music fine, I also added a 10 disc changer (kenwood) and a bazooka 8 inch EL amplified tube to fill out the bass. The tube really fills out the bass missing from the rear speakers, so the rears ability to handle strong midrange works pretty good overall.

The adapters I got from crutchfield were included at no additional cost and I got more than I actually used. The wiring harness plugs were great to hook up to factory harness, and the speaker adapters for the doors was a wide plastic ring that allowed you to change mounting hole locations for speakers, but fit nice and tight and sound great.

I got everything for less than 1k, which was all I was prepared to spend on sound on my new Stealth (rebuild). I play 80s metal and 70s rock mostly with a heavy helping of Ted Nugent so I'm only looking for loud inside the car, but not obnoxious outside the car. The bazooka when working will rattle the chair mounts so youi can feel the whole seat shake. (I have to run a wire for the auto on wire to avoid power drains)

Match these with the jbl 220 and you've got a great sounding cheap stereo. Love those dash speakers.

Lord Warlock
ps, hope this post goes through, after three attempts earlier I'm getting tired of retyping the gyst of the message. Site had probs last two times I tried to post.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
L.W...

Got your post.
I appreciate the input.
Sounds, like I may get the Kenwoods.
Do you know their individual price for just the door speakers (yea, I'll look it up, but I'm lazy)... and two, will the Kenwoods mix with what I already have... basically stock + JBL 220's?

Also, I thought our/my stock system (Infinity Premium) was supposed to be good. Nobody seems to talk highly of it. I thought Infinity speakers were also supposed to be good, or did we get the bottom of the line.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
If I remember right, the door speakers were about 59 bucks a pair, and the 6x9s were 99 per pair, the JBLs were about 40? not sure about those. HU was only 249, changer 279, bazooka was about 200 through a discount outlet.

LW

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
For 99 bucks a pair the best front speakers are Boston Acoustic.

And actually if you just want a pair of cheap(er) but good quality speaker then the Polk Audios are just fine and only 70/pair. THeir subs suck but speakers are actually pretty good.

Best overall speaker/value is Boston Acoustic.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Your best bet for pricing is an internet audio site. If not then every Circuit City/Good Guys should have them at the same price.

Give a local Good Guys a call and see if they fit w/o modification. They should fit just fine.

Scott-do you need subs.......:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've never had subs! So I'm really haven't a clue.
If you can't tell, I'm not a huge audio-type.
I like good sound, but I don't want to lose trunk space.

I assume from the posts I've read, subs require losing rear space?
I'll check out Circuit City regarding the door speakers, because there IS one of those in my town.

I assume you have subs for sale? :D
ah, just read more on the audio section... and see you do.

Also, no-one has replied to my question... Do you know how I can correct the buzz i get from my dash 220's. It happens as soon as I stuff the cross over back in the dash hole.

Scott

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got the boston acoustics (last night) from a shop in town (classic stereo). I will install them tonight, along with trying to fix and figure out why my dash 220's make a buzzing noise.

Don't remember the exact model, but they were roughly $130 bucks. I'll post the exact type after I install them, and tell how they sound... IF ANYONE is curious.

Thanks for all the help to all.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Boston acoustics are good speakers, they've been lower high end speakers for years. I had a set of Boston acoustic plate speakers installed in my mustang (before the stealth) and they sounded great - but they needed power to sound good, and if you aren't running an external amp they don't usually sound as good as some other speakers can.

LW

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
L.W.

I just went home during lunch and looked in the boston acoustics box.

I noticed the connector on the speaker has two prongs side by side. The problem, the stock speakers have two prongs, but they are in more of an 'L' or "T" pattern.

Obviously, they won't fit into the stock wiring harness.

The Boston's come with speaker wire. So I guess I'll have to cut off the end of harness going from the door to the stock speakers and splice those wires together with the new speaker wire, then attach speaker-wire with prong openings to the prongs????????

Does that sound about right?
Basically, I don't want to have to cut off the harness if I don't have to.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Cutting the factory plugs off the ends of the harness isn't that big a deal, I did it on the back speakers on my car. The L-Shaped plugs: just cut them off close to the plugs giving you as much wire to work with as possible. I'd strip the ends and solder them to the new speakers. If the new ones have special connectors just splice them on to the ends of the factory harness wires.

Lord Warlock

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just installed one of the rx67 Boston Acoustics... and guess what?

It barely works, (at least with my stock system) Sounds muffled, can barely hear the vocals, and I'm not exaggerating.
That surprised the hell out of me.

The reason I know it's not good... I still have one stock door speaker that is fine. And I used it to compare. The Boston was so low, and so muffled, the tweeter was BLOWING it out.

Seconds later I hooked the stocker back in and you could actually hear words! I did this at least 5 times, just to make sure.

Just an fyi, I intentionally broke apart the plastic stock harness part that comes from the door hole... keeping the metal female prongs. That way, I could quickly hook it up to either the boston, or stock speaker. That's why I could quickly tell which one worked without soldering, etc.

Does anyone know why the boston can barely be heard? The dude at "classic stereo" assured me, it would be good.
The boston that I bought is the rx67... sale price $130.

Box says: 6.5 inch, (maximum music power=160 watts, peak input power=80 watts, continuous input power=40 watts, Frequency =Response: 55-20,000 Hz)

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you dont have enough wattage it can cause major distortion on certain speakers... id check that out before anything...

as for 6.5, image dynamics seems to be VERY clear to me...

other than that, my friend won nationals for sq with mbquart, so that has to say something about their quality... hell their subs have part of the cone WOVEN...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.