Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with my 95 stealth tt. It pulls strong threw first gear all the way to 7000 rpms but when I shift to second it pulls strong to about 5000 rpms then just sort of stops pulling. Same with the rest of the gears. I have an intake and a gutted main cat for mods. I always run 93 octane w/octane booster because I thought maybe it was my timing being retarded from spark knock. I also have the factory blow off valve turned backwards to eliminate the goose honk. If you have any ideas let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think turning the boost up with an aftermarket boost controller would help anything? That was probably my next mod, and gutting the precats.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Part of the problem is the small stock turbos but the majority of the problem is with the stock boost control system. It gets really stingy with the boost at high rpms. An aftermarket boost controller will help alot.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Trevor said:
Part of the problem is the small stock turbos but the majority of the problem is with the stock boost control system. It gets really stingy with the boost at high rpms. An aftermarket boost controller will help alot.
Wow, learn something new everyday. Can u tell me a little more about this Trevor? I've never heard this before.

.jon

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
turbowilly said:
I also have the factory blow off valve turned backwards to eliminate the goose honk. If you have any ideas let me know.
Off topic but what u mean by blow off valve turned backwards??
Is that goose honk sound like somekinda rubbing rubber sound?
I hear that sound pretty often.
Could you explain bit more? Thank you

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
The stock boost control will you usually give you a nice 12-14 psi spike in the low rpms then pull the boost back to 7-9psi through the rest of each gear. I can definitely feel it in my VR-4. It will nail you back in your seat for a second until the boost control system drops the boost for the remainder of the gear. With an aftermarket boost controller you can set it to hold 15psi from 2500-5500rpm then slowly drop off to 11-12 psi at 7100 rpm because the stock turbos are too small to provide the engine with the full 15psi at the high rpms. With that 15psi setup you'll get a good 40-55HP pickup.

·
Bored User
1992 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
1,146 Posts
Very good advice Trevor.

When you first put the boost controller on (of course AFTER making sure to HAVE an aftermarket boost gauge!!), have a friend with you to take a picture of your face as you feel that acceleration. You will be like "WHOA SHIT" I guarantee it. Make sure that you go from a lower boost setting on up in minute increments until the desired boost is set. If the first few times it goes over 14.5 or 15 psi, turn that boost back down some man! The fuel system won't support it over a prolonged amount of time (unless you have a future build-up in mind?). Good luck and happy boosting soon! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip Trevor I have already got a boost controller coming so hopefully that will fix it. By the way chunsangp what turning my bov around means is I connected the inlet side to the outlet hose and the outlet side to the inlet hose. It gets rid of the goose honk but still works the same. I was told the goose honk comes from a little hole in the bov dump valve that resonates when air goes across it like blowing across the top of a pop bottle. Whatever it is I'm glad to be rid of it.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
turbowilly said:
By the way chunsangp what turning my bov around means is I connected the inlet side to the outlet hose and the outlet side to the inlet hose. It gets rid of the goose honk but still works the same. I was told the goose honk comes from a little hole in the bov dump valve that resonates when air goes across it like blowing across the top of a pop bottle. Whatever it is I'm glad to be rid of it.
Thank you:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts