Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, my car's damn near done. I've only got a few more odds and ends to tie up before I finally get her back on the road. Here's the list of modifications I have on the car right now:

Motor:
Stock 10:1 Pistons
Dynamic Racing Race Grind Cams
Crower High Rev Race Springs
3rd Gen Lifters
Port/Polish Heads
Shaved Heads
Valve job with new stock valves
Maximal Performance Solid Mounts
3SX Lightweight Pulley
SFR Lightweight Overdrive Alt. Pulley
ek2 Shorty Headers
ek2 Downpipe
Testpipe
Custom 2.5" Catback into a glasspack and Flowmaster 40
K&N Filter
Ultimate Performance Intake Wall
eGay N/A Polished Intake Pipe
Accel Wires
New Stock Plugs
Polished Valve Cover
RalliArt Oil Cap :D

Suspension:
Intrax Springs
3SX Rear Camber Arms
MSR 17" Wheels - Lighter than Stock
Street Tires: Falken Grb Fk451 - 225/45/17
eGay Drilled/Slotted Rotors
Brand New Brake Pads
Blue Painter Calipers (Means performance ;))

Transmission:
TurboBob's TCU Overclock
(side effects include firmer shifts, and auto shifts at 8054rpm)
High Stall Converter
TransLab Shift Kit
SFR LSD
IPT Low Pressure Drop 28,000GWV Tranny Cooler

Electronics:
TurboBob's 8,400RPM ECU Overclock
Greddy eManage (ol' Blue)
ScanMaster 3
TMO Datalogger (signal converted from SC3, then sent to my laptop)

-----------------------------------------

What I'm really wondering now is where should I go from this point? I'm trying to build a reliable and fun to drive N/A car. FI is out of the picture for now. The next few upgrade I'm considering are:

Accel Coil Upgrade
Anything to help my idle and keep my spark at the higher RPM limit will help me in the long run. Also looking into MSD coils. Can anyone help me get a part number for either that will work with our ignition?

Larger Throttle Body
I've made a few friends over at the machine shop with my headwork. I would love to bore my tb out to around 65mm, any ideas on how much this could help me?

Front/Rear Sway Bars
Suspension can always be improved. Anyone have any comments on how the 3SX sway bars help spirited driving?

Spark Plugs, which range is right for me?
With the amount of modifications I've put into my motor, I was wondering if I should step down a range in spark plugs. NGK recommends one range colder for every 75HP-100HP increase, but I'm not sure if this is for boosted cars or all cars. Any help here is appreciated. :)

Increased Pressure Coolant Cap
Definately getting this. Just wondering where anyone would recommend getting one from.

I've searched and read through a million posts. I know a fair bit about all the mods listed, I'm just asking for personal experiences with them. Those are just things I'm looking into off the top of my head. I'll be sure to ask anymore questions in this thread as I think of them. If you have any suggestions for my setup, please chime in and let me know how you think I could improve it in any way. :D

At the track, I'll eventually be running slicks on my stock rims. Any chance I get I'll be running on race gas and I'll push the timing up gradually with my eManage until knock becomes present. Most cases of phantom knock should be solved with the mods I've already performed, or at least I hope they are. Would anyone have any tips for running at the track, or what else I get to help her down the track faster?

Also, I'd like to find someone in the southeastern area that knows how to tune awesome. I'm willing to drive 8 hours one way just to have this done. N/A experience isn't required, just knowledge of getting more out of a 6G72 through fuel/timing maps. I'll be the first to admit I'm almost in the dark as far as tuning goes. I've got confidence in myself that I can set a rough tune for the mods that I've performed, but I know there will always be more to gain through the proper tuning of the car (specifically with the raised powerband the race cams will provide).

Sorry for the long thread! These questions have been in my head for awhile, just never asked. Any help is appreciated. Lemmie know what you think of the car! ;)

·
H to the izzO
11,944 Posts
If NY area is within 8 miles, I say go to Ray's place for some tuning. There's also Speed Factor in Philly, 3sx in NC, and AAM near DC. All would probably do a decent job dyno tuning (although I saw a Talon get dyno tuned at AAM, then saw it 30 min later on the side of the highway :suspect: ).

For NA, your car sounds sick. Enjoy those headers & DP. Their sitting at a box right next to me.

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hannibalzero said:
If NY area is within 8 miles, I say go to Ray's place for some tuning. There's also Speed Factor in Philly, 3sx in NC, and AAM near DC. All would probably do a decent job dyno tuning (although I saw a Talon get dyno tuned at AAM, then saw it 30 min later on the side of the highway :suspect: ).

For NA, your car sounds sick. Enjoy those headers & DP. Their sitting at a box right next to me.
I've been near 3SX before driving through NC, I actually know the area pretty good there. I didn't know they did tuning though. I'll have to look into that...

Can't wait to get 'em. There aren't too many people doing a decent amount of mods on N/A's. At least it's easier to get on the quicklist than the VR-4's. :D

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumpity...

·
Resident rocket scientist
7,998 Posts
1) Forget about the coils. Stockers are fine.
2) Larger throttle body will help now that you have a lot of engine mods. I don't think you'll notice too much of a difference though.
3) Sway bars would be nice but not if you are going to be going fast in a straight line a lot.
4) Step down a range colder on spark plugs.
5) Why get an increased pressure radiator cap? Are you going to be doing a lot of road racing that would increase engine heat dramatically? I can't see how it would hurt but I like keeping a lot of things stock if I can.

When I get my eManage I'm going to be tuning with it a lot at the beginning to learn what is going on while I'm n/a. Maybe you could journey down to Auburn and have me tune it for you if you aren't well versed in the art by then. Otherwise there is a good dyno place in ATL that may know how to play with it.

·
Meglomaniac
1,443 Posts
3SX doesnt do tuning that I know of. I know they dont have a dyno.

·
H to the izzO
11,944 Posts
How do you run a permformance shop and not tune? Even without a dyno, they've got to have someone who can tune for those massive phantoms they install.

·
7,998 Posts
Hannibalzero said:
How do you run a permformance shop and not tune? Even without a dyno, they've got to have someone who can tune for those massive phantoms they install.
I concur. At least SOMEONE there should know how to tune it.

·
Web Developer/Designer
1,521 Posts
What are you estimating to snag with this setup, mid/high 14s?

Cool to see a beefed up NA ATX going after some times, still curious what my stealth was capable of with a few more mods... (and a GT42 lol :) )

·
Meglomaniac
1,443 Posts
I thought you were talking about dyno tuning. Of course they can tune without :p

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
BrettRT said:
What are you estimating to snag with this setup, mid/high 14s?
I'd love to get it into low 14's or high 13's, but I may need a few more mods before I'm at that level. I'll have an IPT Shift Adjuster soon so I can force my tranny to do some harsh shifts down the track.

BigTyla said:
1) Forget about the coils. Stockers are fine.
2) Larger throttle body will help now that you have a lot of engine mods. I don't think you'll notice too much of a difference though.
3) Sway bars would be nice but not if you are going to be going fast in a straight line a lot.
4) Step down a range colder on spark plugs.
5) Why get an increased pressure radiator cap? Are you going to be doing a lot of road racing that would increase engine heat dramatically? I can't see how it would hurt but I like keeping a lot of things stock if I can.
The stockers worry me. I don't know how good the older coils will manage.

I'll look into getting the tb bored. I'll also see how much the plenum can be bored. Ideally, I'll have them matched.

Sway bars should help a lot in the area where I live. The curvy TN back roads force you to slow down as you go through them. Anything that can keep my car planted more is a good thing. :D

The radiator cap would be for road trips. I've got relatives in Arizona and Florida that I visit in the summer. Flat roads + High Heat + My Driving = One Hot Car. Having your coolant at a higher boiling point can never be bad. ;) It's more insurance than anything else.

Hannibalzero said:
S
T
R
O
K
E
R
!
!
!
You see where I'm going with this. I can't wait until Ray has them ready. ;)

Any other ideas for power gain? I may have done all the easy stuff except for 11:1 pistons, and I can't go with them because of what else I'll be doing.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Caffinated Soap said:
I'd love to get it into low 14's or high 13's, but I may need a few more mods before I'm at that level. I'll have an IPT Shift Adjuster soon so I can force my tranny to do some harsh shifts down the track.

The stockers worry me. I don't know how good the older coils will manage.

I'll look into getting the tb bored. I'll also see how much the plenum can be bored. Ideally, I'll have them matched.

Sway bars should help a lot in the area where I live. The curvy TN back roads force you to slow down as you go through them. Anything that can keep my car planted more is a good thing. :D

The radiator cap would be for road trips. I've got relatives in Arizona and Florida that I visit in the summer. Flat roads + High Heat + My Driving = One Hot Car. Having your coolant at a higher boiling point can never be bad. ;) It's more insurance than anything else.

You see where I'm going with this. I can't wait until Ray has them ready. ;)

Any other ideas for power gain? I may have done all the easy stuff except for 11:1 pistons, and I can't go with them because of what else I'll be doing.
get the MSD Coils! I hear nothing but good results from them. What are you doing for fuel? Injectors? FP? FPR? Have you changed the filter lately? ;)

I can't wait to see how this ATX will do at a dyno/track!

·
7,998 Posts
Caffinated Soap said:
Not necessarily. Adding that much pressure in the system can put a good strain on your coolant hoses, which wouldn't be good especially in hot weather. Your boiling point is high enough as it is and your coolant temps shouldn't go above 230 to begin with even in Arizona. That's just me though.

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ellery Clinton said:
get the MSD Coils! I hear nothing but good results from them. What are you doing for fuel? Injectors? FP? FPR? Have you changed the filter lately? ;)
I think I will go with the MSD's. Whenever the topic comes up between domestic drivers, MSD wins in the ignition department hands down.

As far as fuel in concerned, I think I'll have enough. If my IDC's are too high I'll switch to a VR-4 pump. And I changed the filter yesterday. ;)

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I would talk to MaTT. He is located in Wilmington and is starting to do a lot of work on the side. Plus Bret Brinkman lives near by and he knows these trannies.They built Jomars (sp) turbo automatic plus MaTT has a freshly rebuilt TT and I think Paylay lives in the same area with a 10 sec. Talon. I know they have local tracks they hit and between this group of guys and a track I think you would have all of your bases covered.

·
Premium Member
14,048 Posts
I'd get it on the track with what you have now and see what happens before you go buying any extras. The few things you listed wouldn't really make a difference (except the sway bars) so it'd probably be a good idea to save your money in case something goes wrong and you need to fix something. Basically quit worrying about adding more shit to it and get it to the track. :p

Terry

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just a set of tires away from getting out there again. I'd hate to waste a trip to the track with these bald tires. :p

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm curious, you have TurboBob's 8.4k redline, but your ATX. How does that affect you? Will you redline at 8k at WOT, but shift at 3k-4k on normal driving?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts