Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I own a '96 base model. It's 100% stock aside from the wheels, I just daily it.

I'm hoping to find a place where I can buy complete / loaded struts so that I don't have to deal with swapping the coil spring. Having a hard time finding something like that online.

Anybody know if it is out there somewhere? Thanks for any tips and sorry for the basic question.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for coilovers. I did a quick web search and I found these: Full Coilovers for Mitsubishi 3000GT FWD 1991-1999 3.0L 24 Level Adj. Damper | eBay. I have not heard of this particular one before, so you might want to ask around some more. The race-quality ones from JIC and Ground Control have been talked about quite a bit, but they're $950-1000.

For replacement stock struts you would look for KYB's, but they don't come with springs. Honestly, if you're changing the struts yourself, then changing the spring isn't difficult. Just rent a set of spring compressors from your local auto parts store. Take the struts out first, then put on the spring compressors. Once they're on, then undo the nut at the top of the strut to release the spring. Take the spring off, keeping the spring compressors on, and put it on the new strut. Once you have the cap on the new strut, then evenly unscrew the spring compressors. Voila.

Or, you could pay a shop to change your struts and they have super easy tools for swapping the springs over.

You could also try giving a place like 3sx.com a call and see if they have a recommendation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply Trifler!

This looks to be the meat of the situation:
"For replacement stock struts you would look for KYB's, but they don't come with springs."

Dang it! I was hoping I could find stock struts sold with the spring included. My understanding is that coilovers differ from struts in that coilovers are adjustable and struts are not... not 100% sure if that's universally true. But you definitely answered my question.

I have seen the coil spring changed once before, it looked sketchy as hell. I guess if I take my time I'll be fine. Haha.

Thanks again friend!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
This looks to be the meat of the situation:
"For replacement stock struts you would look for KYB's, but they don't come with springs."

Dang it! I was hoping I could find stock struts sold with the spring included. My understanding is that coilovers differ from struts in that coilovers are adjustable and struts are not... not 100% sure if that's universally true. But you definitely answered my question.

I have seen the coil spring changed once before, it looked sketchy as hell. I guess if I take my time I'll be fine. Haha.

Thanks again friend!!
They don't do that because the springs cost almost as much as the factory struts, but the springs don't wear out.

I did a search on YouTube for "How to use spring compressors" and found a whole bunch of hits. I briefly watched a couple and here is one I liked. These use two spring compressors. The spring compressor kit I used had three, but the idea is the same. It's very important to tighten each side evenly. You don't want it bending over to the side, because that's when things go wrong. Yes, tightening (or loosening) by hand takes ages.

(Some people say using power tools is fine if you're experienced. This guy still recommends using hand tools. I don't have power tools so it was never an option for me.)

When you're ready to take the cap nut off, loosen it some and lay it down on the ground, but before you take it off, be sure it's facing away from you, and also not facing a car, window, or anything that might result in expensive damage if the nut flies off at high speed and hits it. If you really cranked down on the spring compressors, then there won't be much pressure on it, but it's good to be safe. Also be sure none of your fingers are inside the spring when you take the nut off. The spring is opening, not closing, but it can bend in unpredictable ways and potentially crush a finger against a spring compressor. You can have one hand on the strut below the spring and the other hand on the wrench, or if you're wearing boots or sturdy shoes, you can put one foot on the spring, but be certain the sole is only on top of the spring. You don't want any part between the rungs. Lastly, as you loosen the final threads, keep your eye on the nut. If it flies off, you want to to follow it with your eyes as best you can, or you might never find it again. Again, it might not fly off at all, but I recommend being ready.

On some cars there's room to put the spring compressors on with the strut still in the car. That's actually a really safe place to remove the cap nut, because if the spring snaps open, it's all held in place. You just have to be sure your head isn't over the top of the nut when you take it off.

If you were replacing the springs, such as with Eibach's, then I would say you don't need to be too crazy about cranking the spring compressors down, but since you're putting the same springs back on, they need to be compressed enough to put the cap back on, so they need to be well compressed regardless.

Best of luck!

Reactions: shimasounds
1 - 4 of 4 Posts