Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is about to hit 180k miles and is due for maintenance, but I'm not sure if the oil pump had gotten done at 120k or not so to be on the safe side I'd really like to replace it.

Problem is the OEM pumps are discontinued everywhere I look, but I noticed an aftermarket oil pump on 3sx.

I really don't want to go aftermarket for my oil pump, but it really doesn't seem like I have a choice.

Anyone here know where I can buy an OEM oil pump and if not I'd really like to hear some success stories on using aftermarket ones!

·
Registered
560 Posts
You can buy this one:

And change the relief spring to the TT one (the only difference between NA and TT pumps for 93+), I don't have the part number handy but you can check it with ASA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy this one:

And change the relief spring to the TT one (the only difference between NA and TT pumps for 93+), I don't have the part number handy but you can check it with ASA.
Appreciate the confirmation on that. I imagine it can't be too involved to change out that relief spring so I hit him up to buy it. So does that mean the NA pumps are still around a plenty?

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,270 Posts
Does anybody know real quick what are the intervals recommended by Mitsubishi to have your oil pump changed out?
Mitsubishi never called out to change the oil pump at regular intervals in the owners manual. I'm not sure where the 120k mile interval came from, likely the collective 3S owners as a way to help mitigate low oil pressure and spun bearings as the cars got into higher mileage.

Per the service intervals in the owners manual of my 93, they only call out mileages up to 60k which would then repeat after that.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Mitsubishi never called out to change the oil pump at regular intervals in the owners manual. I'm not sure where the 120k mile interval came from, likely the collective 3S owners as a way to help mitigate low oil pressure and spun bearings as the cars got into higher mileage.

Per the service intervals in the owners manual of my 93, they only call out mileages up to 60k which would then repeat after that.
View attachment 298371
Agreed.... I usually disassemble and check them while doing a 120K, as well as check bearing condition. I end up replacing around half the bearings I inspect, and a fair number of oil pumps, but I never just arbitrarily replace them because of mileage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed.... I usually disassemble and check them while doing a 120K, as well as check bearing condition. I end up replacing around half the bearings I inspect, and a fair number of oil pumps, but I never just arbitrarily replace them because of mileage.
What exactly do you look for when determining if an oil pump looks good or not? I certainly don't have the eye for that and just want to keep my daily reliable for as long as possible.

Was strongly considering getting new bearings too just because of my total mileage, but my shop was saying it's unnecessary preventive maintenance because the labor involved in replacing bearings is similar to what would be done in the event of a spun bearing anyways. Honestly, not positive that bit is true as I haven't looked into the whole procedure enough, but I could see where they are coming from...

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
What exactly do you look for when determining if an oil pump looks good or not? I certainly don't have the eye for that and just want to keep my daily reliable for as long as possible.

Was strongly considering getting new bearings too just because of my total mileage, but my shop was saying it's unnecessary preventive maintenance because the labor involved in replacing bearings is similar to what would be done in the event of a spun bearing anyways. Honestly, not positive that bit is true as I haven't looked into the whole procedure enough, but I could see where they are coming from...
Checking for abnormal wear, gouged material, or clearance out of spec. There's inspection procedures in the FSM.

You have to have the pan off to check the oil pump, It doesn't take much time to yank the main girdle and inspect the lower main bearings. If they're showing copper, that's the best indication you need to keep looking, and likely roll new bearings in.

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
You can buy this one:

I'm not sure that's true, and it would be a good idea to confirm one way or the other... The housing on the 1G is the same, but being as the 4 bolt main block on the 2G TT is wider than the 2 bolt block, I don't know if the pump is wider as well?

In any case, the DOHC Montero pump MD302234 is the same housing and relief spring as the TT pump, but does not have the oil sending unit port in the side of it. You can always get that one and drill/tap the port into it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Checking for abnormal wear, gouged material, or clearance out of spec. There's inspection procedures in the FSM.

You have to have the pan off to check the oil pump, It doesn't take much time to yank the main girdle and inspect the lower main bearings. If they're showing copper, that's the best indication you need to keep looking, and likely roll new bearings in.
Great information here I appreciate it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure that's true, and it would be a good idea to confirm one way or the other... The housing on the 1G is the same, but being as the 4 bolt main block on the 2G TT is wider than the 2 bolt block, I don't know if the pump is wider as well?

In any case, the DOHC Montero pump MD302234 is the same housing and relief spring as the TT pump, but does not have the oil sending unit port in the side of it. You can always get that one and drill/tap the port into it...
I've been doing some reading on here and from what I can tell everyone seems to say the housing to fit the 93+ oil pump should be the same on both NA and TT. Only difference is that relief spring on the pump itself. I've yet to read anything to contradict it so I'm going to hunt down a TT relief spring to put onto a new unused NA pump.

Still need to inspect the pump to see if it really does need replaced, but at 180k miles I want to have a fresh pump ready for when the job gets started just in case.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can buy this one:

Hey I've been looking around for that TT relief spring part number, but am having trouble finding it. What's ASA so I may check it out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The spring is MD174687
Thanks for finding me that number!

I still can't find anything conclusive on if a 93 N/A oil pump will fit onto a 93 TT. I'm starting to lean towards not. I'll update once I finally confirm.

Drilling and porting that Montero pump would be nice, but that's something I wouldn't even know where to begin. Trying to know to how smooth the port should be for oil flow and all that is way beyond me.

If the N/A doesn't line up this seems like a somewhat serious problem for vr4 owners who need an oil pump as it's gonna be tough to want to trust some random aftermarket pump...

·
Premium Member
8,250 Posts
Thanks for finding me that number!

I still can't find anything conclusive on if a 93 N/A oil pump will fit onto a 93 TT. I'm starting to lean towards not. I'll update once I finally confirm.

Drilling and porting that Montero pump would be nice, but that's something I wouldn't even know where to begin. Trying to know to how smooth the port should be for oil flow and all that is way beyond me.

If the N/A doesn't line up this seems like a somewhat serious problem for vr4 owners who need an oil pump as it's gonna be tough to want to trust some random aftermarket pump...
It's just a missing hole in the side of the pump to screw the sending unit into... You would just drill the hole, and tap it to 1/8" BSPT. Not a major operation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's just a missing hole in the side of the pump to screw the sending unit into... You would just drill the hole, and tap it to 1/8" BSPT. Not a major operation.
Certainly doesn't sound too terrible when you put it like that. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding any threads talking about people installing the MD302234 into a tt 3000gt.

Is the MD302234 from the 6g72 or the 6g74 Montero?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
4,297 Posts
You can visually compare the two at below link. I’ve organized them for easier comparison below the link.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.