Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Warm idle is usually 4 ticks from the bottom. When you have an actual oil pressure gauge to compare it to you wonder how in the world it gets some of its readings though.

On my aftermarket oil pressure gauge I get 50psi @ 2500rpms (cruise), ~20psi at idle and sometimes as low as 14psi at hot idle.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Warm idle is usually 4 ticks from the bottom. When you have an actual oil pressure gauge to compare it to you wonder how in the world it gets some of its readings though.
On my aftermarket oil pressure gauge I get 50psi @ 2500rpms (cruise), ~20psi at idle and sometimes as low as 14psi at hot idle.
Temperature related, especially if you are on the stock oil cooler.

I noticed the difference when I was using mobil 1 on the 93 between normal and hard driving.

If I was pushing the car hard I would see it on the stock oil pressure guage. With the RP it doesn't really care, the RP holds up much better to the turbo abuse than the mobil 1 did. Don't get me wrong the mobil 1 was a great oil but the RP is that much better for the same price. Doesn't matter how I drive on this stuff. Oil pressure stays the same, even after multiple hard pulls on the highway (tuning).

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
rp= royal purple?....

again all seems within spec to everybody else,

1 more thing anybody know which fuse i pull to crank the car and not start?...is it the mfi?..under the hood?...

·
Registered
132 Posts
97 SL 160K miles

1/4 at warm idle
3/4 when accelerating/cruising

Is high oil pressure ever bad, can you have too much pressure?

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
rp= royal purple?....

again all seems within spec to everybody else,

1 more thing anybody know which fuse i pull to crank the car and not start?...is it the mfi?..under the hood?...
RP is royal purple and the fuse to the fuel pump is the 2nd one up from the bottom right, INSIDE THE CAR.

The most bottom right is the one that resets the Ecu, the one right above it is for the fuel pump.

Removing the one for the fuel pump will allow you to start the car but it will eventually die when your fuel pressure hits zero. After that you can crank it without starting or if you have already lost fuel pressure (doing inj's or whatever).

Edit: its also a nice you can't steal me valve if you are ever away on vacation or something. Your car won't go far without a fuel pump fuse ;)

·
Oh SNAP!!!
6,115 Posts
i will no longer trust or put must trust into the stock gauges of these cars....mine failed.i.e does not work anymore....i went the prosport 52mm guage..i love it...i get a better reading of what my pressure is at then with the stock notches...

·
Registered
848 Posts
RP is royal purple and the fuse to the fuel pump is the 2nd one up from the bottom right, INSIDE THE CAR.

The most bottom right is the one that resets the Ecu, the one right above it is for the fuel pump.

Removing the one for the fuel pump will allow you to start the car but it will eventually die when your fuel pressure hits zero. After that you can crank it without starting or if you have already lost fuel pressure (doing inj's or whatever).

Edit: its also a nice you can't steal me valve if you are ever away on vacation or something. Your car won't go far without a fuel pump fuse ;)
Ever since I did a compression test and learned where the fuel pump fuse was, I take it out all the time when I park my car out somewhere for more than a few hours. Definatley the cheapest and of the most effective ways to prevent someone from stealing your ride. :D

As for my oil pressure "gauge"
Cold Start- 4 ticks above the lowest big mark
Cruising- on lowest big mark or above
Warm idle- 4 ticks from bottom.

I have a 92 TT with about 115k but replaced the oil pump about 1k ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 93 base 150k miles, about 6 months ago I did a 120k service myself. went with a new water pump but just rebuilt the oil pump, at the time of the rebuild I had a huge (1 quart per 20 miles) oil leak through the front seal. before rebuild with 20/50 cold idle 2 ticks below the top 'good' mark warm idle 2 ticks below the lower 'good mark'

After rebuilding the oil pump 20/50 cold idle at or above the high good mark warm idle one or two ticks above the bottom mark.

now the problem, after four tanks of fuel and literally no burned oil I decided to switch to synthetic oil (walmart 5w 30 full synthetic) now cold idle is 2 ticks below the top good mark warm idle sometimes 2 ticks below the bottom good mark and lots of weirdness on starting there is a fairly loud ticking when cold and sometimes when warm, but even more odd it comes and goes sometimes cold no ticking and warm ticking. I have not decided if I should go to a better grade synthetic or just return to 20/50 as none of this happened with 20/50 any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
When I had a stock gauge, it was a few clicks above the bottom at idle and around half at cruise.
When the car was up with the a/m gauge it was in the high teens at idle.
Might was well get rid of the stock gauge, it's junk.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Same as yours turbot4. Though higher all around with the 20w-50 I put in during the summer months, but on a cooler day as expected.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
if this board had a sense of humor I would say that the gauge is in the same place at normal driving as when the car is shut off- right in the middle of the dashboard.

Since it doesn't, I'll say it's about the same as My92Stealth said^

·
Now with100% less Stealth
4,428 Posts

that's about what I'm getting, I've never seen below 15psi at idle even after some hard laps at the track

·
NOTADSM
4,160 Posts
just getting some fiqures, i know it's nothing, but i want to put my mind at ease....under normal highway driving....my gauge is about 2 clicks above the half way point.....obviously at idle it drops down to the 1/4 mark i think...any i'm not having any issues of any kind, i was just curious where everbody's stock oem gauge sat at...
Pretty much about the same for me.

·
most people SUCK at life
1,609 Posts
at hot idle im sitting about 2 clicks from the bottom normall driving is about a click or two away from the first big mark i havent gotten around to install my oil gauge yet i should probably do that.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,751 Posts
if this board had a sense of humor I would say that the gauge is in the same place at normal driving as when the car is shut off- right in the middle of the dashboard.

Since it doesn't, I'll say it's about the same as My92Stealth said^
:muahaha:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts