Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just getting some fiqures, i know it's nothing, but i want to put my mind at ease....under normal highway driving....my gauge is about 2 clicks above the half way point.....obviously at idle it drops down to the 1/4 mark i think...any i'm not having any issues of any kind, i was just curious where everbody's stock oem gauge sat at...

·
Mitsubishi Junkie
1,343 Posts
That sounds about right and on par with my 132k mi VR4. It will go a bit higher when i switch to 20w50 in the summer. If you really want to put your mind at ease- hook up a real oil pressure gauge and compare your reading to specs. I did it to my VR4 two years ago when i bought it as i was considering replacing my oil pump when i did the timing belt. Pressure was well within specs so i didn't replace it.

JJ

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i think in the summer i will change the weight, i just don't feel i need another gauge in my car, is there a way for a garage to test my oil pressure?...i just don't see the point as i am having no problems..that and the fact the oil pump was done a few thousand miles agao..

·
Mitsubishi Junkie
1,343 Posts
i think in the summer i will change the weight, i just don't feel i need another gauge in my car, is there a way for a garage to test my oil pressure?...i just don't see the point as i am having no problems..
The gauge is for testing purposes only - like doing a compression test on your car. I didn't mean to imply that you use a permanent aftermarket gauge. Hook up the oil pressure gauge- take your measurements, then remove the pressure gauge. Do it yourself of have a shop do it for you.

JJ

·
...550WHP Club...
3,049 Posts
mine reads about the same and I have a brand new engine with all new internals. So seems ok to me

·
Breaks everything
9,937 Posts
The best check is to see where it is at idle after a good run. The stock gauge isnt very accurate, but its consistant.

Jason

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think at idle with the oem gauge it's about 2 clicks above 1/4 mark, again i have never had any issues at no light,no smoke,ect, i just wanted to see where everybody else's gauges were at ...thats all..

·
Mitsubishi Junkie
1,343 Posts
where exactly do they hook this up?....is hard or expensive?..

No it's neither hard or expensive (unless you plan on buying your own guage). The pressure gauge is threaded in- in place of either the oil pressure switch, oil pressure gauge sending unit, or even the oil filter. It all depends on the adapters that the particular tester has. Pressure is checked at warm idle and at a certain RPM (don't remember what).

JJ

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks i'll look into it...also c'mon people many have viewed this ...just getting idea's on where the gauge on your oem oil pressure is,

please specify year,milage..thanks...

·
vice prez: TPW
8,092 Posts
My gauge is messed up and I need to install a new real one.

So me telling you where mine reads would be pointless.

But in general, if you have low at warm idle, your dash dummylight will turn on. Also as long your pressure increase with RPM and stays high while driving constant (ie not, your not loosing pressure while driving) you should be okay.

As a general rule of thumb, it is about 10psi per 1K RPMs, now that is based off of me growing up with pushrod V8s so it may be different with our cars.

-John

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we'll , never had a dummy light and gauge works fine it rises and stays there..i'm running mobil-1 10-30...from what i'm gathering i'm fine...just was wondering where everybody else was at...

thanks..turbo

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,723 Posts
my gauge is fux0red, it is like 4 lines below the first big line at cold idle, and goes to about 2 below at warm idle when it's really cold outside, though at driving RPM it stays steady at 2 clicks ABOVE. Do I have a bad oil pump, or just shitty stock gauge?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mine is about 2 ticks from the very bottom at 900rpm idle, around half way at cruising speeds. 117k on it, doing 120k late December, including bearings and oil pump.

·
Vette Driver
440 Posts
ok thanks i'll look into it...also c'mon people many have viewed this ...just getting idea's on where the gauge on your oem oil pressure is,

please specify year,milage..thanks...
Mine, hot idle (Royal Purple 5w-30) is 4 lines up from the bottom. Hot at 2500 RPM or higher ("normal driving"), it's at or just below the first "big line"; just above half way.

FYI, when I first got teh car (3 months ago), I did hook up a mechanical gauge to find out what "4 lines up" etc means (since it doesn't mean shit). On MY car's stock gauge, "4 lines up" is 25 PSI. And again, that was hot, at idle. The hot >2500 RPM pressure ("normal driving") was 75 PSI. More than enough, IMO.

1992, 103,000 mi.

-Tom

·
SOHC you in the FACE
5,762 Posts
between 25-50psi (1500-3500ish rpms) in normal driving warm engine and 20w50

·
Flasher
9,631 Posts
113k original block, ~35k on heads

Cold Idle: 3 dashes above middle

Warm Idle: 1 dash above middle

Cruising: 2 dashes above middle

Everyone says stock oil pressure gauge is garbage so I don't take much stock in it.

·
REP IS OVERATED !!
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks for the info, i'm within everybody else's so i'm good i suppose...i have no problems, this was just for my own knowledge....
thanks for the input guy's...

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
93/rttt/187k miles running RP 20w50

cold idle 3:30 - 3 oclock on the stock guage
warm idle 4 oclock
cruising 1500 rpms - 3k rpms is 3oclock to 2:30

high rpms or racing is 2 oclock to 1:30 .

All my values increased when I switched from mobil 1 to RP. The RP seems to hold up better over time too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts