• Did It Youself - Bad Job

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would just like to know where members had their timing belts replaced and if it was good or bad job. You can vote twice if you had it done twice, for example due to bad job the first time and had it redone. I am trying to measure total occurances, not members or cars. I would define a bad job as anything that was not to spec: a new noise, poor performance, not reassembled properly and obviously a blown motor.

Thanks

·
Ferrari Nut
2,675 Posts
Roseville Mitsubishi in California has a reputation for installing mods in their Twin Turbo 3000GTs for owners that supply the parts and they do excellent work. I reley soley on that reputation for repairs. When it comes to timing belts I've heard some horror stories of owners trying to cut costs, so I take it to the dealer. Costs up the the butt! But you know its gonna work right many miles down the road.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
I had mine changed at the Goodyear first, and then the crankshaft went south 30K later. I don't know if that was related or what. The next time was when I had my engine rebuilt. I thought I might as well go ahead and get it changed while the engine was out and it was cheaper. This was at a local Japanese auto specialty shop.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
I have done about a dozen now for myself and other customers in the area. I charge only $200-$250 for the ENTIRE 60K service including fuel filter, waterpump, etc. The parts are around $350 so thats a total of $600 or less versus $1000-$1200 for a dealer.

Incidentally, I dont' "mess around" and am more competant than the vast majority of dealer mechanics. I have worked at dealers and currently an engineer for DaimlerChrysler at an engine plant. The dealers tend to hire a lot of monkeys nowadays and usually only have a handful of skilled mechanics. The dealers also seem to have no interest in providing service and support for our cars. If you don't believe me, please search this board and find the scores of people that have been ripped off or had their car f'ed up by a dealer because they ASSumed the dealer knows what they are doing.

So if you feel better paying twice as much and wasting your money to get inferior service, or are independantly wealthy by all means continue to go to dealers for service. Or if your smart you can find someone like me local to you right here on the board to do your service and mods for you at a reasonable price.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
I had Hans' do mine.

Of course, this was when he was an independant.

He was recently sold off at auction, on the Forsale forum.

I don't know who has possession of him now.

:p

Elton

·
Registered
557 Posts
just a word of advice to the stealth owners,many know this but some just don't get it........stay away from dodge dealer shops,take it to mitsubishi for anything!They all know by now the stealth is the 3000gt twin.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Thats actually not sound advice either. There are just as many lousy Mitsubishi dealers as there are Dodge dealers. The same "American" slugs work at Mitsubishi dealers, and the Mitsubishi dealers are owned by individuals just like Dodge dealers. To think that the Mitsubishi dealers are somehow better because of the name is ridiculous. They Dodge dealers receive the same training, tools, tech support, etc. on the cars that Mitsu does. Quality mostly depends on the individual dealer, the mechanics they hire, and the tools and training they provide.

If anything, the Dodge dealers may be better simply because they are generally larger and deal more volume than most Mitsu dealers, hence they probably spend more on mechanics, training, and tools.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ahhh,sorry "mopar" jim,you are wrong,when I 1st got my stealth and had a problem i took it to a well known dodge dealer with many awards given to them for excellence.The maintenance manager flat out told me to take my car to the mitsu dealer because not a single mechanic had received the proper training provided by chrysler for the stealth.I thank him to this day for sending me in the right direction......keep in mind this was a well known and respected dodge dealer,but how many are out there that just say..."sure we will fix your car".......knowing the proper training and tools have not been obtained.Sure,there are sour mitsu dealers out there,but at least they have had more experiance with the 3si's because of the 3000gt and have all the "special tools"needed in house.Would you take your 3000gt to the dodge boys?think not.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Guess what? i have all the "special tools" in my garage too. They cost under $150 for all the 60K service tools.

Just depends on the dealer - some Dodge dealers are excellant, some are not. Some Mitsubishi dealers are excellant, some are not.

Again, they are all independantly owned so it just depends on the owner and what type of business he chooses to run. Some dealers simply are not interested in the hassle of servicing cars when it comes to major jobs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts