Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 Dodge Stealth RT TT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, so as you may know I am working to pull the engine from my 1991 Stealth TT, I am following the great instructions from "supercar-engineering.com" and so far so good. I think I have about one weekend left before I can start lifting it out. I was watching a video yesterday about how someone got to their clutch plate and saw that he was able to drop the transmission with the engine still in the car. This got me wondering,

Would it be easier to pull out the engine with the transmission already off?

I have to take the engine out the top, so I am doing the work with an engine hoist (cherry picker) and I am thinking that it might be easier to get the engine out if it was less bulky.

Curious if anyone here has done this and what your opinion might be. Thanks

P.S. look for my next video to see what I decided to do :)

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,207 Posts
I've never even tried doing what you are, but I've watched a clutch replacement and 60K done on my Spyder in my garage by Hans from GZP.
He did both in 1 day. It was VERY fascinating to watch.

Having spewed that load of nonsense, I am anxious to see what the "mechanics" on the site have to say about your question.

Either way, GOOD LUCK, and I can't wait to see the video...

Bob. :)

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,207 Posts
If you haven't already seen it, this video is also very entertaining...

·
Registered
478 Posts
easiest to pull engine and trans as one unit
this will also save you the hassle of aligning the trans with the engine on installation

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,392 Posts
I always R&R the trans separately from the engine. I have done the alternative as well, but that is just my personal preference.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I've done it both ways and preferred doing it all together. Hardest part is getting trans re-attached whichever way you do it. But to me, everything is easier if I can stand vs. being on the ground.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi GTO twin 19T-HL E85 @22psi
55 Posts
If you haven't already seen it, this video is also very entertaining...

Having done both multiple times I can say that it is ultimately more difficult and a little more time consuming to pull the tranny alone. If you do it this way there are a few things that can be left in place, cooling system, motor mounts and rear turbo charge pipe etc, but getting the tranny re-attached is pretty hard. You'll need a helping hand (tho I'm sure someone has done it alone) and I have found that there is only one way the tranny will fit between the subframe and the engine since the front diff gets in the way.

I still like to remove the tranny alone if I service it or change the clutch since I don't have to store the engine in a corner of the garage, but that is just personal preference.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
I've been a transmission builder for 35+ years, and have pulled transmissions from just about every conceivable platform... I wouldn't even consider pulling an engine to do trans work on one of these cars. These are actually one of the easier units out there to pull, and are not at all time consuming. Comparative to some, they pretty much fall out on their own...

If I'm pulling an engine, I yank the trans first just to make access easier, and not have to deal with separating them on the ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts