Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,029 Posts
I enjoyed the episode but was chuckling at how little that car needed. They really made the $ when they bought it, that seller sold way too low. I mean, they didn't have to touch the paint or do any bodywork, and it had NO rust as far as I could see. They didn't need to deal with grinding synchros. They didn't need to do a 120k. The turbos weren't blowing oil. The d/s seat bolster wasn't even torn through! That's HIGHLY UNUSUAL! And all the AWS needed was a new freaking hose instead of (a) a stripped gear inside the diff (what my old car had) or (b) totally f-d rusted ass hard lines ?! Granted, since they didn't even mention ECS once, it likely was bad - but easily "solved" by unplugging the module and forgetting about it.

It seems like they knew it too towards the end he was emphasizing how good of a deal they got on it for the shape it was in. They didn't need to fix any of that active crap to flip it for a profit - really, they may even have made MORE money if they didn't even touch it. The seats just needed to be wiped down, and it didn't really need the stock '95 chromies. $2k right there. (Although - I wonder who ended up with those Konig Villains? Always loved those wheels.)

Anyway, good stuff, but I'd love to see them in the midwest or northeast trying to flip one with even average rust levels, and watch every single bolt, hardline, and metal connector break and fall apart. Those of us who have had to struggle with rust and other shit like that probably felt some kind of quiet rage as they watched these guys work on that car so easily ... I know I did LOL!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was curious as to why get rid of the Aftermarket Air Intake?

I understand for all those who will flame and say to "keep it stock" but I was always under the impression something like a K&N was good for increasing Air and HP (little as it may be) flow to the engine.

No? Could I have been wrong all these years about K&N?

(Then again, now I have to order a set of lifters, and a new short throw shifter & find someone with a front AA assembly!)

·
Money pit owner.
2,565 Posts
I was really hoping he'd do the 120k service that would've made the car actually well worth the asking price plus would've made the episode more educational. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
I was curious as to why get rid of the Aftermarket Air Intake?

I understand for all those who will flame and say to "keep it stock" but I was always under the impression something like a K&N was good for increasing Air and HP (little as it may be) flow to the engine.

No? Could I have been wrong all these years about K&N?

(Then again, now I have to order a set of lifters, and a new short throw shifter & find someone with a front AA assembly!)
most likely because it was sold in California, and they didn't have the appropriate smog sticker for in the intake. Also probably why they reinstalled the stock bypass valve, and basically turned the car back to stock configuration.

·
Curmudgeon
5,387 Posts
Personalty I don't trust open element filters. I used to live near the beach, and I stopped using them when I found sand on the "clean" side of mine. I've long suspected that they are as responsible for spun bearings as anything else.
That said, I would never spend big dollars on a car that had one. Being in the business they probably know many collectors feel the same way as I do, so they returned it to stock. It's all about getting the most return on their investment.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I LOVED that episode. It's a keeper! I wish they had found one that was a better looking color, red maybe? When Ant showed a close-up of the old and new lifters I was blown away. I have a '93 SL whose lifters tick intermittently. This was for me the single most useful thing I have learned from any car show. Plus when they mentioned finding the stock rims from an internet forum, I had no doubt that this was it. I like to see our cars getting at least a little recognition!!
Would love to see them find a spyder with an inoperable top plus bad weather stripping, and see Ant (or Ed, they are both very cool) solve those problems.

·
Rollin, Rollin, Rollin
1,245 Posts
Personalty I don't trust open element filters. I used to live near the beach, and I stopped using them when I found sand on the "clean" side of mine. I've long suspected that they are as responsible for spun bearings as anything else.
That said, I would never spend big dollars on a car that had one. Being in the business they probably know many collectors feel the same way as I do, so they returned it to stock. It's all about getting the most return on their investment.....
Even if debris somehow got through, it might wear the cylinder walls and pistons before going into the oil pan and through the oil filter.

If you had a big open element filter, it's possible it could have had a hole from where it made contact with the hood or chassis.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
676 Posts
I really liked this episode, they even sourced the wheels from this forum! It was also listed for sale on the forums, and as far as I know the car didn't actually sell even though they said it did.

I enjoyed the episode but was chuckling at how little that car needed. They really made the $ when they bought it, that seller sold way too low. I mean, they didn't have to touch the paint or do any bodywork, and it had NO rust as far as I could see. They didn't need to deal with grinding synchros. They didn't need to do a 120k. The turbos weren't blowing oil. The d/s seat bolster wasn't even torn through! That's HIGHLY UNUSUAL! And all the AWS needed was a new freaking hose instead of (a) a stripped gear inside the diff (what my old car had) or (b) totally f-d rusted ass hard lines ?! Granted, since they didn't even mention ECS once, it likely was bad - but easily "solved" by unplugging the module and forgetting about it.

It seems like they knew it too towards the end he was emphasizing how good of a deal they got on it for the shape it was in. They didn't need to fix any of that active crap to flip it for a profit - really, they may even have made MORE money if they didn't even touch it. The seats just needed to be wiped down, and it didn't really need the stock '95 chromies. $2k right there. (Although - I wonder who ended up with those Konig Villains? Always loved those wheels.)

Anyway, good stuff, but I'd love to see them in the midwest or northeast trying to flip one with even average rust levels, and watch every single bolt, hardline, and metal connector break and fall apart. Those of us who have had to struggle with rust and other shit like that probably felt some kind of quiet rage as they watched these guys work on that car so easily ... I know I did LOL!
No kidding, that car barely needed any work at all! They should have kept the aftermarket rims; they looked so good, not mention the cost of the originals. I don't know when my AWS is going to shit itself, but I highly doubt it's going to be just some easily replaced line...

As someone from the rust-belt it was infuriating to watch them just remove 20+ year old bolts and it all just came out nice and easy!? I'd kill to not have to pray to the car gods every time I work on something only a few years old! :p

I was really hoping he'd do the 120k service that would've made the car actually well worth the asking price plus would've made the episode more educational. :)
They actually did the 120k service, but didn't show any of it. They also sourced most stuff from 3SX, or so the for sale thread on the forums stated. I really would have liked to see them tackle the 120k service!

·
Money pit owner.
2,565 Posts

·
Pro xfercase destroyer
5,415 Posts
The 120k service really isn't that big of a deal if you just take your time and work through it methodically. Other than a few little tricks to get the timing belt lined up properly and at the correct tension, it really isn't that bad.

·
Money pit owner.
2,565 Posts
The 120k service really isn't that big of a deal if you just take your time and work through it methodically. Other than a few little tricks to get the timing belt lined up properly and at the correct tension, it really isn't that bad.
I've done the 60k myself by reading the service manual and watching videos. I'd like to watch a mechanic do the full 120k, but I think that may be beyond a 1 hr TV shows anyway. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
With inspiration from this episode I bought new liters from AutoZone , the installation tool from 3SX, and tackled the job. This was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done to a car engine! It was not overwhelmingly difficult, though it was difficult enough to give me a sense of accomplishment when it was done. Even better, every time I start my daily driver, I get a thrill out of not hearing the lifters tick!! Someday this may no longer make my day, but it still does several months after the install.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
676 Posts
With inspiration from this episode I bought new liters from AutoZone , the installation tool from 3SX, and tackled the job. This was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done to a car engine! It was not overwhelmingly difficult, though it was difficult enough to give me a sense of accomplishment when it was done. Even better, every time I start my daily driver, I get a thrill out of not hearing the lifters tick!! Someday this may no longer make my day, but it still does several months after the install.
Always good to hear rewarding stories :) My '94 ticked like crazy and I always found it annoying, if not a bit embarrassing. When I rebuilt my '92s (both my 6g72 and 4g63 were '92s interestingly enough) I knew those crappy 1g lifters had to go. It was easily one of the best decisions of both of my builds, and worth every cent! It still pleases me years later to hit the key and hear no ticking, and I have no doubt you'll feel the same way for a good long time :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet..you may need to click the play button a few times to get it to play. Enable pop-up blocker if you have it.

Exciting to see the cars that we own on the big screen!

https://mywatch-seriestv.com/wheeler-dealers-season-14-episode-7-1994-mitsubishi-3000gt-vr-4.html
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Was reading my tech manual just this morning whilst watching this episode - timing belt only "if needed" in CA which seems pretty odd to me but it's in the tech manual. I also wondered about why they didn't do the tranny/transfer/rear fluid change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts