Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Snakes on a Helicopter!
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car a few weeks ago, and I just found out that the aftermarket wheels that came with the car are hitting the front brake calipers. I wanted to know if there is any way I can fix this without having to get a whole new set of wheels and tires, as I don't have the money to do so right now.:(

·
Snakes on a Helicopter!
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke with the mechanic about that, and he said that it would put a lot of strain on the wheel bearings and the joint. Is this true or just a bunch of crap?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think people worry to much about getting spacers. Just get high quality "hubcentric" spacers that are as thin as possible to allow the wheel to fit and you should have no problems.

·
Snakes on a Helicopter!
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks VR4GUY I'll check that out:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
imo wheel spacers are no f*cking bueno because they put a lot of unnecessary stress on the lugs and have been known to sheer them off. you can probably shave down the caliper a little if you want, but i would suggest getting new wheels that actually fit.

·
Snakes on a Helicopter!
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this would be a problem even if you used super small spacers, like say 500mm?

·
Registered
767 Posts
How much are they hitting? When are they hitting? Is it at random times or only when you are cornering? My suggestion would be to take the calipers off and take them to a machine shop and have them take 50 thou off. The lettering sticks out pretty far, at least on the mitsu's, so I am sure you could take some of that out. Plus you could get a nice pretty machined finish. :)

·
Snakes on a Helicopter!
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the car is going into Motorsport Dynamics here in Sacramento on the 18th, and they're going to have a look at it.
As to when its hitting... If I'm going 70-80 MPH and I just let off of the gas, I can feel it, and if I go into a right hand turn it becomes even more pronounced, but if I hit the brakes it seems to go away. Also, if I am stopping, when I am down to less than 10 MPH, I can feel and hear the individual spokes hitting the calipers.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
if your wheel was hitting the caliper you should hear it almost all the time. In your case it sounds like the Hub has went out on ya...I had to replace both of my front ones and they run about $150/ea. from the dealer and not really that hard to change out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts