Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 3000gt sl with stock wheels and was told that my wheels have locks on them to prevent them from being stolen. True?

How do these damn wheels come off?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I need an answer soon. They said they can knock them off for me but it could cause some damage to the wheel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why is it going to ruin the wheel? I used to work at a tire shop. They make wheel lock removal kits. It's scary how fast the pros can pop those locks off with these kits (makes you wonder how many thieves the locks would really stop, huh?). The lock itself is ruined, but the stud and wheel should be fine. HTH.
Chris

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If they are the factory ones, then one nut on each wheel is a locking nut.

A normal nut has six sides on the outside, and you use a normal wrench to get it off.

A locking nut is round on the outside (so a normal wrench cannot be used to remove it), and has a pseudo-random star pattern on the inside, and you need the special matching wrench adapter that came with the nuts.

I eventually removed mine, because the sepcial adapter was starting to strip the inside of the nuts. Once stripped, they'd be rather expensive to remove. Actually, my loccal Dodge dealer removed mine, with his airgun, because I just could not get enough purchase on the damn things to turn them.

New chrome stud nuts are two bucks each. See my FAQ for more information pertaining to your factory ones.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
If you have factory locks, then go to Mitsu, they can get it off for you. They will probably do it for free also

Tuan

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gracias everyone for your quick replys.

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
lock nuts pretty easy to take off, just bash a socket on the outside of them thats slightly smaller in diameter that the lock nuts, and impact them off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts