Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So i was attempting to work on my front driver side wheel hub and rotor due to damage from the wheel flying off on the highway (very sad yes, luckily said tire did not kill or injure anyone) and the replacement i bought along with any other after i checked it again do not match what i have, where did i go wrong?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,489 Posts
the replacement i bought along with any other after i checked it again do not match what i have, where did i go wrong?
Hard to tell from your picture of new unit which looks to have 4 bosses for bolts to hold it on, if so that is for either rear end of your car or for front end of a 4 wheel drive like a VR4. Either way it won’t work on front of your front wheel drive car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to tell from your picture of new unit which looks to have 4 bosses for bolts to hold it on, if so that is for either rear end of your car or for front end of a 4 wheel drive like a VR4. Either way it won’t work on front of your front wheel drive car.
Any idea what the arm that holds the hub on is called? Im going to return this current one, order the right one, and then look into being Frankenstein with mine and converting some of it into VR4 so its easier to work on at times.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,489 Posts
Any idea what the arm that holds the hub on is called?
When you say arm if your talking about the part that that attaches to the strut assembly and lower control arm that the brake caliper and shied bolts to, it’s called knuckle. The wheel bearings and seals on your car presses into the knuckle then the hub presses into the bearings and the axle joint/nut holes it all together.

If you start converting some things to VR4 parts, you might be opening a can of worms because I am not sure if half shafts are the same so you might have to then change them, which might cause problem at shaft support, intermediate shaft and maybe at trans connection I simply don’t know about all that, maybe others can confirm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So i have a 94 non turbo and I recently redid my entire front end. So from the look of your picture you have front wheel drive which has the press in bearing into the knuckles and not the all wheel drive which has the bolt on hubs.

With the press in bearings you need an arbor press to press out the old and press in the new. Its not a piece of machinery that every home garage has. When I redid my front end I had oem parts from the same model years we have and I replaced all the bearings in the knuckle and seals, the control arm bushings, cv axels and seals, stabilizer links, struts and ball joints. I cleaned the knuckle and control arms with a wire wheel and then powder coated them both.

I am redoing the parts I took off my car and doing the same rebuilding I did on the now new ones I put on my car. Feel free to message me directly

Where are you buying parts from? I bought all my parts from rockauto.com and I can link you to the specific parts you need.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
Yes you have the turbo front hubs which are bolt on, and yours are press in. When my car needed this a few months ago I took the opportunity to buy VR4 brakes and knuckles, they bolt right onto our hubs. Forced upgrades are the best! lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you buying parts from? I bought all my parts from rockauto.com and I can link you to the specific parts you need.
I bought all mine from rock auto, i double checked on there and they only sell the AWD version unfortunately from what i saw. I planned on buying them from 3sx I think is the site for the FWD version I found.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes you have the turbo front hubs which are bolt on, and yours are press in. When my car needed this a few months ago I took the opportunity to buy VR4 brakes and knuckles, they bolt right onto our hubs. Forced upgrades are the best! lol
Where did you get the knuckles from? Any idea if they'll just fit in without changing everything else with it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
So is anything wrong with your wheel hub other then the broken studs??? If not you don't need a new hub. In order to put the new studs in (i recommend repthem all) you do have to take it all apart. You need to be super careful when you press out the hub from the knuckle and wheel bearing or you'll need new wheel bearings as well. You will need an inner amd outer seal no matter how careful you are

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is anything wrong with your wheel hub other then the broken studs??? If not you don't need a new hub. In order to put the new studs in (i recommend repthem all) you do have to take it all apart. You need to be super careful when you press out the hub from the knuckle and wheel bearing or you'll need new wheel bearings as well. You will need an inner amd outer seal no matter how careful you are
As far as I know, nothing else is wrong with it, I figured I'd go ahead and replace all of it so I won't need to worry about it failing on me at any point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So what goes bad are the hub bearings, the hubs themselves don't have moving parts so unless they are cracked or damaged in so way I would reuse them. Give them a good cleaning and put in the new studs. Do you have a press to remove the bearings and hub from the knuckle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what goes bad are the hub bearings, the hubs themselves don't have moving parts so unless they are cracked or damaged in so way I would reuse them. Give them a good cleaning and put in the new studs. Do you have a press to remove the bearings and hub from the knuckle?
I do not unfortunately, Im attempting to find some where that can do it for me otherwise i may be stuck with attempting to hammer it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have not. Ill try to see if i can this evening.
With the front wheel drive hubs you have no choice but to take them apart. The abs ring on the back of the hub makes it impossible as is covers the ends of the studs on the back side.

If you're interested maybe you and I can work something out as I have the knowledge and the tools to do so and I wont charge anywhere near what a shop does

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,489 Posts
With the front wheel drive hubs you have no choice but to take them apart. The abs ring on the back of the hub makes it impossible as is covers the ends of the studs on the back side.
I believe you’re thinking about bolts that wholes hub assembly in place on a AWD car. His being a FWR has more room between hub flange to knuckle assembly, which might be enough to do as Steve ’93ES says.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,445 Posts
Mr. Freak (I kid) mentioned above that he has a 94 Non Turbo, FWD.
Seems like he's done the work...

Just sayin...

Bob.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have done alllllllll the work. So much work .....With the AWD you have room to pop them out, with the fwd that he and I have there is no way. See attached pictures.

Picture 1 is the complete knuckle and hub
20201223_171450.jpg

Picture 2 & 3 the hub with the abs ring placement
20201223_172105.jpg

20201223_172102.jpg

Picture 4 & 5 are the inside of the abs ring with the 5 indents for the lug stud ends.

20201223_172045.jpg
20201223_172037.jpg

There is no way to remove the abs ring far enough to remove the studs with put taking it apart.. also getting to the 2 10mm bolts holding the abs ringnto the hub is damn near impossible with out dismantling it completely

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts