Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all...

So I'm driving down the road and I see something out of the corner of my eye. Holy shit, it's a Stealth RT/TT for sale that looks in good condition. So anyways, I stop to check it out. It's a '91 Stealth RT/TT with 109k on it. White exterior, black leather interior. Both the outside and inside are in excellent condition cosmetically. Anyways, the paper on the car says that it "needs engine work"... and that the guy who owns it bought a newer Stealth. I always droll over the GT3000's and Stealth's. There is just something about the car that is too sweet. Oh damn, I'm babbling. So what I'm wondering here... is how much would a total engine rebuild cost me? I've rebuilt 1 car before, so I know I can do it... I just have no clue on the cost of the parts. I've heard they are pretty expensive, so if anyone could give me a rough estimate that would be great. This guy wants $3500 for the Stealth, which I think is a fair price... however, I'm going to need to add in the cost of the engine rebuild. I might be able to talk him down if I start showing cash... but if it's gaunna cost me $8k to rebuild the thing, I might as well just save my money and go for a newer year. What do you guys think? And how much is a rebuild on these cars?

·
3SI #816
277 Posts
You gonna do it yourself or have someone( a shop) do it ????? Does the motor turn over or is it locked up???? Lots of if's and's and but's till you get it disassembled and on the bench. Would be an excellent winter project. Take your time and enjoy. I spent seven months re-building my 454 and that was 20 years ago and it still runs strong.
I spent $ 2000.00 when I did mine. However these little motors seem to eat up more dollars than the big ones!!!! Made in Nippon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'll do 95% of the rebuild myself if I decide to go ahead with this. The only thing I won't touch is the head. I've rebuilt everything else on a car before. I guess depending on price and how much tolerance is left I can have the head machined or possibly pick up a new/reman one somewhere...? Obviously my point in all this is that if I'm going to do this I'm going to do it right, and for the most part do it myself. Why? Because then I know it's done right. Not by some half baked dipshit mechanic that could care less about my car and is in a rush so he can get home and bang his wife. I never take my car to a shop. They always fix 1 thing and break 2 others. They just don't care. Anyways, yeah... I've rebuilt a 4 cyl Turbo charged Dodge daytona before, so I'm at least capable. This engine is a whole different monster, but I'm sure it's not rocket science. If I do this I also want to go with the max specs I can put in. Like best rings, largest pistons for the most displacement, etc... I'm not shitting myself though, I know it's a big project.

I haven't driven it yet, I'm going to call the guy this next week... see what's up and go take it for a drive. Reguardless of how much work it needs though I'm going to just do a total rebuild if I buy it. 109k on these cars I hear is when stuff starts crappin out, and the last thing I want is something breaking every other week on the car. Like I said, I'm not kidding myself here.

So anyone know the cost for a total rebuild? Like I've said, I'll be doing all the work myself except for maybe some machine work on the head or a replacement there.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Although my engine is different from that in a TT, I was quoted a price for a DOHC N/A engine rebuild. The price should be virtually the same as that of a DOHC TT. The total for parts was $1000 or so, and labor was another $1700. This is, of course, with the shop's "discount" on parts. After charging $15 for antifreeze and what not, it doesn't seem like that huge discount on the big ticket items (no, I didn't get suckered into overpaying for shit I could do myself). I think getting the heads remachined was around $200 itself, which was included in the $1000 for parts. I dont' have the exact item by item quote, so this is all by memory. Hope I was of some assistance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in the progress rebuilding my '91 tt .
I hope i don't have to touch the top end .
For the bottom the following are;
new crank ('93+)
waterpump
oilpump
timingbelt
o2sensors,knocksensor
timingbelt tensioner
thrusts
for all this above from Tallahessee mits.
$1200 includes shipping to Vegas
New rods ,shot peened,polished $400 from a follow member , you can get it for $700-800, or stock ones for cheaper
new clevite bearings ( rod and mainset) from Autozone $90
The bottom can be done resizing the crank( can do anly the 91-92 modells bc they were made castiron,) and rods ,just need owersized bearings (i wanted the new crank ,steel,so i went with everything new)
i need only 2nd gear syncro for the tranny from Kormex $125
replacing at a localshop for $250
Ifyou need a new tranny could be anywhere$3000 and up
or buy a used one and make kormex rebuild it for you for $1750
new clutch RPS stage 3 from dynamicracing for $449

If the had is messed up lots more :
pistons (forged) $1299 GTpro
Redone the head $?
new lifters (suggested ) '97+ (bigger oilhole on them )$16 a pice from Tal. Mits.need 24 do the math
valve, seats etc ,no clue$
Jeff Lucius had everything done in some link
Grand total over 9grand
Hope didn't get a headache ( i did)
Good luck ! Do the search whatever you wanna know ! Lots of good people on this site , they'll help you!
Lajos

·
addicted to BOOOOOST
412 Posts
i was just shopping around for rebuild prices for my 91 VR4, parts came to about 4grand, that was for forged pistons, 2nd gen crank, crower rods and then the smaller things like gaskets, water pump, pulleys.....so if you can do all the labor yourself, your prolly look at like 4-5g's....but i dunno if you need new turbo's too? hope that helps!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, thx for the feedback guys. I'd like to get as many opinions on the cost as possible. So anyone else that's got a cost guess, shoot it out. You know... goddamn I feel like a kid in a candy store when I look at these cars. "I want that one, and that one, and that one."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts