Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knock on wood...my car is running as stong as ever, with 90K. :D
From time to time, I contemplate keeping my car for as long as possible. But, as we all know, mechanical parts do wear.

What would be the average cost to rebuild the engine?
With stock parts?
With modified parts?
(i.e. pistons rings, crank, etc.)

Of course, changing the turbos is a must while the engine is out, so calculsted another $1500.

An then the odds and ends...and oh yeah, the mechanic which would be none other than Glynn Meade

·
Wizard
493 Posts
I just spun a bearing so I had a whole new short block put in with new engine mounts and timing belt and tensioner and new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Done at the dealers for just shy of $6K. Parts and labor.

Already had new 15G TEC turbos. ~$1600 and $900 labor for install.

Custom exhaust. $600.

And it goes on and on. :)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
BluTooth said:
$6K. Parts and labor.

~$1600 and $900 labor for install.

$600.

And it goes on and on. :)

HOLLY CRAP! :eek:

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Im in the process of a re-build right now. (I spun a bearing too:eek: )

JE Pistons, total seal rings, Eagle rods, New crank, new clutch, oil pump, etc. cleaning the whole engine out while its out. I already had some head work done and my injectors and turbo's are new.

for the work there doing Im looking at about 5K with the clutch.

basicly, its like my mechanic says. things will run perfect right before all hell breaks loose. damn

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I opted for a new shortblock as well, rather than rebuilding the old motor. Rebuilds hardly ever last as long as the original motor so decided it was best to replace it. (spun a bearing too)

New OEM block + Install 5k
New 13G turbos - 1425 installed free with block
New RPS Max Street Clutch - 700 installed free with block
New 310 lph denso fuel pump - 300 installed free with block

was installed at a dealer so was slightly higher than if done elsewhere, but I wanted someone who had worked on a turbo motor recently so went with the dealership.

Total cost of rebuilds and mods this year - 17k GASP. 7k was planned upgrades, 10k was unplanned engine upgrades.

LW

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Lord Warlock said:
17k GASP. 7k was planned upgrades, 10k was unplanned engine upgrades.

LW
17K....SOB...your wife must really love you :)

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
She puts up with me, but I played the cards right this time. In February, right after starting a new job, bought her a 2001 Pontiac GTP with 13k miles for 20k, we paid that off in 3 months, then I started having "preventative" maintenance done on the stealth which had gone 2 years with no work done on it and had a few odds and ends needing work. I also started modding the car, and after the dp and intake, had valve stem seals leaking smoke so took it to dealer to fix it, and on way back from dealer it spun a bearing. I blamed it on the dealership ..partially, and they agreed to discount the motor replacement to a total of 5k.

Figured if it has a new block, I wanted new turbos and new clutch, and it just snowballed from there. Car is brand new for a 91 Stealth Twin turbo, new heads, new motor, new interior, new stereo ...pretty much new everything. The motor blew my paint budget so I had to paint it myself, and have been working on that for the last 5 weekends. Its almost done now, hoping will be done by next friday for the turkey rod run.

If you get the woman a new car, she can't bitch at you spending the same amount on yourself, or if she does bitch you can ignore it. Of course we've been married for 19 years now.

Lord Warlock

·
U2SLOW
2,430 Posts
My rebuild:

Wiseco Forged Pistons: $670
Short block from M&S (60k): $380
Machine Work: ~600
Port & Polished Heads: Free :)
Replacement Parts (sensors - to pumps): ~900
RPS Clutch: ~500
Mods: (mounts, BOV, pulley, etc): ~800

All and all the total came out to be just short of 4k. That is of course, doing all the work myself with the assistance of my father. Still didn't leave any room for upgraded turbos on a high-school budget. Fuckin' prom and homecoming. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
many spun bearings in this thread. any way to monitor when it would let go?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have to things to say. Someone mentioned that all hell breaks loose right after everything is running perfect? Well my check engine light is on, abs light is on, radiator light,window wsher fluid, not too mention the SRS light from time to time, so that means im set right? As for the spinning the bearing, i did that once, because the oil pump consistently failed before i bought the car and it eventually just didnt give the oil needed. Its a sort of common probable from what i gather, but if you get a new oil pump at your 30 or 60k service it may help. Hell stranger things have happened

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
TTT...im having to get this done now also:( any more price quotes?

·
Big C
1,511 Posts
i might possibly have that done sometime in the near future but thankfully i'll be able to take care of the $2k+ in labor as i've pulled my engine out and tore it apart already, reason I didn't replace stuff like piston rings or bearings was because my shop teacher advised against doing a "half-assed" rebuild, so I didn't... now I kinda wish I would've atleast had the cylinders checked for "out-of-round" and it might've been that they only need to be honed as opposed to bored out which wouldn't have led to me having to buy expensive internal components like pistons or rods :rolleyes:

·
Registered
621 Posts
if you are going to do any rebuild i would go through 3KGTMOTORSPORTS.COM i got mine back 1,000 miles ago and its fucking great its not that expensive at all compared to a lot of shops. but thats just my opinion.good luck

·
Banned
10,070 Posts
well, i'm shelling out 9K for my rebuild at GTPRO, which includes forged pistons, Stock 2nd gen crank, head port/polish, AEM EMS, GT357 turbos and all necessary gaskets, pumps etc. i have a receipt. then other mods i got. rps C/C single clutch 1.5k, Darksideracing FMIC 500, 720CC inj. 500. so go figure.;)

·
Make it go fast for cheap
273 Posts
DO IT YOUR SELF

my TT has a rod knock.

ive got the motor out and am disassembling it now.

projected cost to build it back to stock. stock crank stock rods stock pistons total seal rings
without messing with the turbos, ( i may have to rebuild the rear turbo)

looking at just over 1000 buck because IM DOING ALL THE WORK MYSELF!!

but i like it that wasy b/c ive found that 99% of dealers dont know shit when it comes to the 3s and will work on it like they are working on a neon.

whereas i treat the car like a heart transplant patient and will know that when i bolt the thing back in that every bold and plug is secure.

im tellin ya. buy a engine hoist, take a few weekends off, and DO IT YOUR SELF, save 5k and know that its done right.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Wicked91RT said:
TTT...im having to get this done now also:( any more price quotes?
There was a list of labor items posted by MagnumforceGTO a while back. It was a rebuild qoute from Superior Automotive, which gt-pro farms it's work out to.

Here's an example of their labor prices:

boil/magnaflux block $75.00
press rods off & boil $45.00
knife edge crank $150.00
balance engine assembly $125.00
Hone (select fit) with Torque Plates $100.00
Shotpeen 6 Rods $72.00
Heads - Disassemble, Clean, Zyglow, Pressure Test, Serdi Valve Job, Port Polish, reassemble $750.00
Ceramic coat pistons $150.00
Square Deck Block $100.00
Clean glass bead pistons, boil, press pins out $55.00
resize 6 rods to 2.087 $600.00
convert to floating pins w/spirolox $55.00
Magnaflux 6 Rods $270.00
Pin Fit Pistons $25.00
Magnaflux Crank $55.00
Assemble Short Block $350.00
File Fit Ring End Gaps $75.00
Asseble Pistons to Rods $40.00
engine PULL and INSTALL labor $800.00

I figured that it costs about 8.5K for a massively built engine, including parts such as Arias forged pistons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.