Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I know a local mechanic who I trust. He used to own his own transmission shop for 25 years, but got out of the business because he was too honest to make any real money. I asked him if he might be interested in installing a new clutch for me, and to take a look at my POS Getrag 6-speed while he is at it.
My question(s):

How much is a reasonable price to pay someone (on the side) to do this job? In addition, which clutch should I purchase considering my mods: DR-500's and everything else you can imagine to support them. I am hoping to hit mid to high 11's with this setup. At the same time, I want my car to be VERY streetable.

Thanks for any input....Jim

·
Registered
447 Posts
ok, when i needed a new clutch the dealer told me $1000, a shop told me $800. Those horrible prices are sadly normal for a job. If u want a guy to do it on the side... i wouldnt pay anything over 4 or 5 hundred dollars....maybe even less. What i really suggest to u is to find a buddy whose got some mechanical knowledge to help u do it...this will lower your cost to just the price of the clucht and pressure plate and so on.there are directions available online

p.s. im am speaking from an N/A point of view so prices for you should be higher

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
I charge around $240-$320 to do the clutch. Opening up the Getrag is an entirely different matter - you'll have to be more specific. A regular dealer or shop will charge around $500-$600 usually.

I would recommend at least an RPS stage III, or MAXX or whatever. You'll need at least that to hold the power reliably. If you really beat it and launch like a maniac then even they won't last long (5-10,000 miles). If you really have bucks to spend you could go multi-disc or RPS carbon-carbon single disc or more exotic.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
If I remember correctly, "book rate" for removing and replacing the tranny is 12 hours. You gotta take the tranny out to do the clutch. The clutch adds around 1 more "book hour".

So multiply 13 times a mechanic's hourly rate for what they'd normally charge. If you can get it done "on the side" for half of that, you're in good shape.

As for clutch, you should check out our group buy. The South Bend Clutch DXD or DXD-B is turning out to be a SUPER clutch, and at $375 for the DXD (which will hold all that DR500's can put out and is VERY VERY streetable), the price is right! There's a TON of info about the DXD on the thread, including confusing specs and everything. :)

The group buy is on until Dec 13 but you gotta sign up at my thread... link is in my sig.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clutch

Guys,

As far as the clutch goes, I BABY my car for the most part. The only time that it gets "beat-on" is when I will make a trip to a track (which is like two or three times a year). Otherwise, the car is babied to the extreme.

As far as the transmission goes, the damn thing is leaking (albeit VERY slowly), and I think that a synchro (or two) may need to be replaced before much longer.

Thank for your help. Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts