Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of (if any) break in procedure. And is it a good idea to put a protection on the sides (the shiny stuff you see on cars all of the time, you know what I'm talking about).
Thanks,
Player--'92 3000GT SL

·
Registered
600 Posts
There really isn't any break in procedure that you have to follow with new tires... I know that people recommend heat cycling race tires but it isn't nessecary for street tires. Heat cycling is driving the car moderatley at first on a windy road. Then, build up your speed gradually untill you are driving harder and harder. This brings up the tire temps slowly. Now either remove the wheels from your car or jack up the car so the tires don't touch and let the tires cool for 24 hours.

On a side note, tires have a "release agent" that helps in removing the tire from the mold. This release agent makes the tires not grip as well unitil the release agent wears away. That's why you are told to drive carefully for the first 50 mile on new motorcycle tires.

As far as protectant, Armor All and Sun of a Gun work, but they are almost self defeating... IMO. They do block out harmfull UV rays and they do protect vinyl and rubber but the shine would also concetrate the sun's rays onto the tires! This is just my opinion... don't know how true it is. I still use protectant but sparingly. Also, when using Armor All on your tires... make sure to clean your tires well before applying it. Armor All IS NOT a cleaner. It is just a protectant. Ever seen tires that are more brown than black even when they are clean? Thats a sure sign of someone that used Armor All without cleaning their tires first! It takes a while for this to happen but it does happen.

Jose Soriano
[email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts