Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

gonna have to rebuild soon, what should i do?

• save for engine rebuild- bullet proof engine-- add nos later- keep car

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • save for engine rebuild/replace-- sell car

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • save for tt transplant-- keep car

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • payoff car, sell car, buy vr4

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Evil Trucker
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the senario
college student on payment 12 of 36
make good money, but like to blow it on extras
94 3kgt base with 145,000 miles good condition
engine smokes a bit after sitting at idle for afew minutes (bad rings, from what i conclude)

what would you do?

things crossing my mind
--would like to have a sleeper car ("base" 3kgt with some ass kicking capabilities)
--i would put alot of miles on the car, wether current or new vr4
--already have some customization for the current car....all of which could be yanked out and put into the new vr4... just takes time

i just cant decide

:confused: :confused:

please help
scott

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just rebuild motor, finish college, then get a vr-4. The car you have now is a good everyday car. A VR-4 will cost more to buy and maintain. :D

·
Evil Trucker
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good thinkin

I was thinking that, plus i dont wanna put a billion miles on my vr4. but what type of engine rebuild, i do wanna go a faster than stock, so i figure either a bullit proof engine rebuild or a tt transplant.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Pay off your car, rebuild the engine (don't get NOS, that is pretty hypocritical if you care about reliability).. plus you want the power to always be there.. I'd say get intake, clutch/flywheel, exhaust, and UDP. That will give you a decent improvement over stock horsepower and the car will still drive the same. If you want, go with bigger rims and better suspension with a cusco rear strut bar. Then you can always work on some cosmetic stuff. Then your car will be a great daily driver. Then you could afford an older VR4 and work on it and make it into a beast :) that's my plan anyway :) I hope to payoff my car by the end of my senior year or the summer after my senior year but who knows

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
I'd say sell car <b>now</b> and replace with either a simular low milage model (SL) or upgrade to a VR4. That is unless you've already dumped money into things like the 60k, struts, etc or other repairs.

Ted

·
Evil Trucker
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i had the timing belt and water pump and other 60k stuff done at about 135k. However i havent started on the suspension or other components.

·
1,377 Posts
I would sell it now while it still is worth something, in a few years it'll probably have at least 30k more on it and won't be worth much at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts