Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in my car in the 1/8 mile? If I do run an 8, do you think it's safe to say I could pull off a 13 sec quarter? The SC is going on soon, but I'm contemplating running alchy and about 10lbs of boost for close to 350 fwhp (i know of a TT SL that is running 11lbs and 400fwhp). Could I trap near the 110 range in the quarter?

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
you mean an 8.99 ? That is about equal to a 13.93 in the 1/4 mile. Take whatever your 1/8 mile time is and multiply by 1.55 to get 1/4 time.

Also, you can take your desired 1/4 time and divide it by 1.55 to see what 1/8 time you would need to run to be on track for it. funny how it works both ways ;) :p

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Cheek: I'm not too far out of Chattanooga and drive through occasionally. We should meet up sometime.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i don't go to utc, but i frequent the girls dorms;) . i'm currently studying at furman university in greenville SC, but if you guys ever want to meet up, and i'm home, i'll surely be game.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I got really pissed when I ran at the track, but I can give you a few times...

I ran a [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]
I thought it was kinda wierd because I got faster trap speeds with slower times, but it was because I was having MAD spark blowout, and I kept turning my ARC-2 down more on every pass so I wouldn;t run so rich. I had a 8.3 on the 1/8 with a 1.8 60'. My slower times were directly related to a hot clutch, because my subsequent 60' times where 2.0 and 2.4. If I would have had the same 60' time on the last run as the first, I would have probably broken 12's, but I was still hoping for 11's. I have too much money put into my car to be running 13's! I have solved my spark blowout problem, but I need to replace the tranny AGAIN because it is leaking so bad, even though the internals are still ok. So I am put on hold from racing and seeing my car run 11's until summer.

I don't think alchy would help any on only 10 pounds. Most people i know have theirs set so that it doesn't even turn on until about 12 lbs. I think you should be able to get 13's easy with a 10lb pulley. But I don't think it would be 350 fwhp. Its usually said that you get about 10hp per lb of boost. Thus adding about 100 hp. But then you have to take away the fact that the engine has to turn the pulley, so you take away maybe 15-20%, which is about the average parasitic loss on a SC and that gives you maybe 85 hp being optamistic. And that's only at the flywheel. Then you get drivetrain loss. I think I've seen it at around 20% on TT, but I'm not sure, just a VERY rough estimate. a FWD should have less drivetrain loss, so we can just guesstimate 15 percent, which is probably very optamistic again. Then you can add 20% for intake and exhaust (optamistic) to the stock power, giving you about 260 hp at the flywheel. Add the 85 from the SC, take away 15% for drivetrain, and you get about 293hp to the wheels. It is probably alot less if you could get exact with all the math, and use true values. I think realistically it would be more around 260 to the wheels, which is still a good number, having about 310 at the flywheel. And if you think about it, the 1st gen TT's are rated at 300 at the flywheel with 9psi, and you having 1psi more goes along with the "10hp per lb" rule, so it works out about the same. Nontheless, you should still be able to run 13's if you can get a good launch, which may be tough with a SC without good tires.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i can't run more than 6 or 7 pounds of boost with the stock compression, and my compression being higher than that of the turbo engines will net me more hp/pound of boost.

it has been documented that 11 lbs of boost on one of these engines will produce about 400 fwhp as well. but of course that will probably be better tuned than mine will be, but i'm hoping for close to 350fwhp on high boost setting and 290 or so on low boost, guess i might need nitrous for the 110 traps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts