1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
n/m

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good question! I hate the play in my shifter and traced most of it to the transmission itself (i.e. not the shifer). Pop your hood and grab hold of the shifter linkage where the cables attach. Try to move at back and forth and see if you have much play. If you do, you have the same problem as me.

If there is no play in the transmission linkage than the problem is either in the shifter itself or the cables. One thing you should DEFINATELY do to eliminate some of the sloppy feel is to replace the rubber bushings which the shifter base is mounted on with steel washers (you can do the same under the hood where the shift cable bracket attaches with rubber bushings).

As to the problem I have with the transmission linkage slop, I know what the problem is, I just don't know how to fix it. I removed the two bolts and pulled the whole assembly out of the top of the tranny to see how it works. The design is pretty simple: There is a shaft with a metal "nub" (for lack of a better word) which rotates back and forth when you move the shifter forward or back. This "nub" engages a shift "fork" (again for lack of a better word) to shift the transmission. The problem on my car is that there is excessive play between the "nub" and the "fork" it engages, presumably because the nub has worn down over the years. If Getrag made parts available, it would be no big deal to replace the nub but since they don't I don't know what to do. One thought I had would be to find a competant machine shop who could weld a little extra metal to the nub and then machine it back to specs but I'm a little nervous since I know replacements aren't available if they mess it up.

Anyone have other ideas?

·
Registered
653 Posts
One more thing: My friend wrecked the Talon I sold him and I'm parting it out for him. The Talon shifter works on the same principal as the Stealth TT shifter but it is a full two inches shorter! I plan on adapting the Talon shifter to the Stealth and reporting my findings here. If it works out well, this could be a cheap Short-shifter option for our cars (people are always parting out DSMs on the internet cheap).

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
Totally unrelated to the topic but...what the heck does DSM mean. I've seen reference to this before.

Thanks.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts