Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just bought a 1991 3000gt SL as a minor project/toy and I want to make some more power, Maybe in the range of 250-280 hp.
What semi-simple mods can I do to make the power in my desired range?
preferably would like to keep the mods simple considering that I may sell this down the road and would like to be able to throw on the old parts later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard about ECU tunes. is there a link that explains tunes and stuff and is it worth it to even tune an NA 3k?

·
Registered
1991 VR4
798 Posts
I've heard about ECU tunes. is there a link that explains tunes and stuff and is it worth it to even tune an NA 3k?
You can't tune a 91 with a stock ECU. Even if you could, the power gains from a flash on a NA car, especially an older one, are minimal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since we're in the new user questions forum, I'll also add that before you upgrade anything, your maintenance should be 100% up to date. Fluids, 60k, electronics capacitors. Give yourself a solid foundation to build on or it'll topple over.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
683 Posts
No intake is going to make any real difference over stock, even a custom made cold air setup will barely make any gains, if at all. All the short-rams, cone filters, and metal tubes all reduce power. The stock intake isn't restrictive, already has a cold air inlet under the headlight, and the rubber is a good insulator to keep could air in and the engine bay heat out. Don't bother unless you want bling or sound.

For the N/A the exhaust is your only real performance upgrade with significant gains. On the cheap you can get a test pipe (less than $50) or high flow cat (about $250 for 1g emissions legal) to pick up a about 5whp; if you want the best gains, long-tube headers from 3SX will net around 10whp and with a test pipe will net about 15whp (cost about a grand though). I'd just do a test pipe and call it good.

Long-tube headers and a test pipe will get you roughly 240chp (and a sizable hole in your wallet), it's not quite your goal, but unfortunately that's about it. Underdrive pulleys, tunes, intakes, etc aren't worth your time or money for the meager returns they provide. You can always shed some weight by ditching the spare tire and jack (you have towing anyway right?), but as a Grand Touring platform she's just not going to be a light car. If you want significant power you'll need turbos or way more money than just buying a VR4.

In any case, do the maintenance and make her clean AF while you enjoy the ride. These cars turn heads all day long with zero mods required :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your responses :)
Your answers have really helped me decide what I want to do with this car so I think im gonna get that Test pipe and clean up the car.

btw; does anyone have any recommendations on how to get 25 year old tint off? As you can see in the picture below the tints just comes off in strips.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
798 Posts
When i had really old tint that was bubbling like that the shop i took it to for a retint said they had no choice but to scrape it off, which means ruining/removing the defroster with it. I think they were kindof lazy, but i ended up just having them do it. Not sure if there is another option that could save the defroster.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
683 Posts
I've heard that using a steam cleaner to steam the tint works well. You can pick up a cheap one at Walmart for like $20. I've also heard that heat guns work well too, you can get one cheap at Harbor Freight. Beyond that they sell the ammonia kits that you spray on and cover the window to let it soak in to soften up old tint. I've never used any of them personally; I'd hit up YouTube and see what people use with good results as there's l lots of videos on it. Good luck :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts