Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean under hte hood of my 91 Stealth RT/T. I would like to have it nice and shiny and looking new. I have seen some dealers selling older model cars...that look goregous under the hood! Any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks....

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
Do not use that spray foam stuff. I did it and it broke down the oil and they washed away but it left a white residue. I used some armoral ro clean the vavle cover and it turned out great and used some high gloss tire cleaner for the hises and plug wires (just be careful with the plug wires) Simple green and a tooth brush work great also.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Use a good degreaser from autozone or something. Spray the hell out of everything but the battery and the fuse box. Then spray it off. Then use a follow up shiner. I use High Endurance Tire Shine on my intake hose. Keeps it real shiney. Then I painted a few pieces under the hood.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I take u avoid those pieces because it will do damage! Im sure it will be time consuming, but would like it to look nice!

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
We use a 500º steam cleaner to knock the oil and gumm build up off first, then go in with a brush and detergent
-Jess

·
Registered
405 Posts
You might want to dilute Simple Green before you apply it. Full strength took the paint right off my Pontiac Beater Valve cover.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What the hell is Steam cleaner? Where can u buy all this stuff....local autozone?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Steam Clean

Worth it to pay a detail shop to just steam clean engine, let them handle the crap that comes off and you can detail the clean engine after they are done. Steam cleaning is the most effective way to get the grease, grime off. After that, well, Tire shine products for hoses, plastic covers etc.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought so....are there any nationwide places that do this. ? Steam cleaning that is?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Look in your local phone book for detailers near you, there will probably be several. They should be able to tell you if they do it and how much it costs.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Pretty much anyplace that fixes cars can do it. They use this normally to look for leaks. So they have the machines at their places. Probably cheaper than paying a detailer too.

-Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts