Votes: 20 32.3%
  • other

Votes: 14 22.6%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
selling the 99
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So currently looking at 3 different vehicles a 1997 3000gt, a 1993 Mazda rx7 with a 1995 interior conversion, and a black 2003 evo. Now I’m at a point where I can't really decide on a specific car. I'm leaning more and more toward the rx7 due to light weight with the 1990's car shape (wide long and low) but the rotary scares me, and I can do burnouts for fun with some cheap tires, which I was never able to with AWD :( The 3000gt has 6 cyl but the evo is more track oriented. So I'm at a standstill as it is a pretty hard decision. So RX7, 3000gt, evo, or other? Thank you for advice ahead of time.

·
No.1 Lurker
895 Posts
sweet 100% said rx7. ;)

i just went for the rx7 for the obvous reasons, light? if you keep the power moderate you shouldnt have to worry too much about it. cheaper to repair/upgrade then the vr-4 im sure. and the evo is an evo. i know its gods second coming to the import world but damn that thing is ugly.

·
Administrator
21,548 Posts
road course and maybe a little drag
Evo.

I would have voted RX-7 if it had a V8 in it.

Even then it all depends how stock they are.

If they're close to stock, Evo > RX-7 > VR-4 I would think.

If they aren't ... it's anyone's game.

·
selling the 99
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with the subject of the v8 swap, i'm not going that way. I prefer to stick with original engines for some odd reason. plus i'm a little biased again v8's

·
Vr4 Addict
435 Posts
bimmer

·
Registered
220 Posts
Since I chose other, I'll play devil's advocate. My choice would be an older model Mazda Miata. You want light? There you go. My friend has one STOCK, and when I drove it around it felt like it was on rails. I could only imagine what one modded would feel like, especially with a beefier suspension.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I am partial to the RX7... it is light and quick with a plethora of affordable power/upgrade options. The bonus part is the RX7 has a pretty decent resell value if you get bored.

·
Amsterdamn
4,036 Posts
I had a 200SX beater and started to build a second engine with some more HP. That thing had about 300 horses and body panels are cheap! It made my sucky drift attempts look really good (probably due to the sound and smoke :D)

Best trackcar is one with alot of potential but cheap parts as you or someone else may Eff up on the track!

·
3s-less
1,507 Posts
93 rx7 cheap, thats funny. those cars are not cheap. if this is going to be a track car go with the tt/vr4. You can pick one up for $6-$7k that is in good mechanical condition but has crappy paint and interior. You can get the weight down to 3300 without spending much money, 3000 if you put some cash up for losing weight. BPU as far as hp and upgrade the bushings, control arms, sway bars, strut tower bars, light weight wheels, tires, etc. Once you get used to it and your wallet re-coops get some used dr-500s, 13ts, 16ts, or 15gs. This build will cost much less than a stock evo and will destroy it or the rx7 in performance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rx-7 with a 20b or an LS6. Evo with a 4g64. Evo is 10 years newer. I vote Evo. I wouldn't even consider a 3000gt as a track car. Too heavy, and engine is in the bay the wrong way. Transverse engine setup FTL.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Since I chose other, I'll play devil's advocate. My choice would be an older model Mazda Miata. You want light? There you go. My friend has one STOCK, and when I drove it around it felt like it was on rails. I could only imagine what one modded would feel like, especially with a beefier suspension.
+1... they're great for road courses and respond well to mods... can fit a 275 tire on all 4 corners and some supension work and you'd have a nice road track car...

however... vr-4 if you plan on doing any kind of moderate drag racing...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts